Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

That may be true but why not offer the consumer product in highest possible quality? It doesn't seem to cost any more to "manufacture".

Because there are no non-OCD advantages and besides it is mostly affiliated with higher costs for nothing.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm going on a bit of a tangent here but it's same with 4K video streaming. They charge you more on services like Netflix for that but it's not really 4K. Because it cannot be. The UHD discs carry up to 100GB data and it's not feasible to stream files that size via an average internet connection. So you end up with quality below regular Blu-ray with a bit of HDR slapped on and, yeah, you pay more money for it.

Well, it *is* 4K. Because the resolution of the final image you get is 4K, just as every 44.1kHz, 16-bit stereo MP3 you play back ultimately has the same bitrate as a CD before it's converted to audio signals. What many people fail to understand is that the quality of the final rendering is only as good (or bad) as the quality of your source, and if your source is a highly compressed stream rendering it in super high quality won't improve it. That's why it's so hard to convince some people (even technically knowledgeable ones) that 4K Netflix isn't a better quality replacement for Blu-ray simply because they've got a 4K stream and a fast internet connection.

1 minute ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, it *is* 4K. Because the resolution of the final image you get is 4K, just as every 44.1kHz, 16-bit stereo MP3 you play back ultimately has the same bitrate as a CD before it's converted to audio signals. What many people fail to understand is that the quality of the final rendering is only as good (or bad) as the quality of your source, and if your source is a highly compressed stream rendering it in super high quality won't improve it. That's why it's so hard to convince some people (even technically knowledgeable ones) that 4K Netflix isn't a better quality replacement for Blu-ray simply because they've got a 4K stream and a fast internet connection.

This, of course, is correct. :) 

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

The reason there is a price difference is because people accept lossy files as standard and therefore the lossless is being treated as some sort of premium product. And with mp3's they charge you the same as what you'd pay for a CD and that just doesn't sound right, does it? It's not about hearing the difference but more about principle. It's a scam. You've had music music in superior quality for decades and now you're paying same for less. And that's because people accept it as normal. The reason why you had to have compressed files 20 years ago was due to slower internet connection and storage capacity. It's not an issue anymore so why not move on?

I'm all against selling mp3-files and whatever compressed formats there are. There is an audible difference to standard CD quality. I was referring to audio formats that pretend to be better than CD quality, although they just are on a mathematical level. I do think it is kind of a scam to provide you less than CD quality on online plattforms, because HD streaming is all over the place and why should we now reduce the quality of our music, although the internet connections all around the globe should ace that by now? So there's that, however, a higher bitrate than that is purely cognitive matter, even for audiophiles. People should concentrate on a better standard, rather than providing single people with insane bitrates that do nothing, but cost you an arm and a leg.

These releases should be permanent. I mean we had to wait most of our lives for it and now it's gone. It's like only people that are John Williams fans at the right time  can have them

37 minutes ago, King Mark said:

These releases should be permanent. I mean we had to wait most of our lives for it and now it's gone. It's like only people that are John Williams fans at the right time  can have them

there are days I feel the same way but with all the work MM does to preserve these at lest they’ll be around to release again later. 

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm all against selling mp3-files and whatever compressed formats there are. There is an audible difference to standard CD quality. I was referring to audio formats that pretend to be better than CD quality, although they just are on a mathematical level. I do think it is kind of a scam to provide you less than CD quality on online plattforms, because HD streaming is all over the place and why should we now reduce the quality of our music, although the internet connections all around the globe should ace that by now? So there's that, however, a higher bitrate than that is purely cognitive matter, even for audiophiles. People should concentrate on a better standard, rather than providing single people with insane bitrates that do nothing, but cost you an arm and a leg.

OK that's a fair point.

Karol

• 1 month later...

You can see part of the original assembly of shots (including Lacombe looking up at the sky) in the "Home Videos & Outtakes" feature on the 40th anniversary Blu-ray, which confirms Mike's theory :)

I don't remember seeing that warehouse scene before, where the agents discuss how to scare people away from Devil's Tower. Which cut of the film does that come from?

Assume the deleted scenes are from the early DVD release of the film? Don't recall seeing those either.

I definitely remember the discussing tactics bit being in the movie. And these deleted scenes should be on the blu.

8 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

You can see part of the original assembly of shots (including Lacombe looking up at the sky) in the "Home Videos & Outtakes" feature on the 40th anniversary Blu-ray

Yes I was surprised the shot of Lacombe looking up wasn't inserted into this video somewhere

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I don't remember seeing that warehouse scene before, where the agents discuss how to scare people away from Devil's Tower. Which cut of the film does that come from?

Isn't that scene in every version of the film?  It's certainly in the Theatrical Cut and the Final Cut (I've never watched the Special Edition)

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

Assume the deleted scenes are from the early DVD release of the film? Don't recall seeing those either.

The warehouse scene is in every version of the film. And the deleted scenes have been in every home video release since 2001

Might be worth mentioning that Music Box still appear to have copies on sale. They're limiting to 1 per customer.