Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 2017 2-CD La-la Land edition!

Jay

As I said before, the day I get this release will be my first time listening to this score apart from the suite and 1-2 of the more famous cues. I didn't dare go in completely blind, however: I listened to all the samples. Based on them, I think I will soon have a new favourite score.

Ordered! Titanic too. Cannot wait to give CE3K a whirl on this new presentation.

Titanic was ordered today more because it could well sell out before I ever got back around to coming for it. For the sake of my credit card balance, it had better sell out fast. (JUST KIDDING, to anyone who doesn't take jokes.)

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

You're despicable

Just now, Jay said:

All 5 Black Friday titles are already in stock and begin shipping today.

That's.. good news

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

As I said before, the day I get this release will be my first time listening to this score apart from the suite and 1-2 of the more famous cues. I didn't dare go in completely blind, however: I listened to all the samples. Based on them, I think I will soon have a new favourite score.

You haven't watched the film yet? :blink:

I watched it for the first time this summer, but the score was not something I really noticed or paid attention to apart from the obvious Barry's Abduction and the final 20-30 minutes. This is just a first watch experience, obviously.

22 minutes ago, Holko said:

Any sample that you are especially refering to?

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Any sample that you are especially refering to?

All of them? :lol:

Out of the 10 samples, the first portion of Climbing The Mountain is the only one I didn't care much for, all the other ones I really liked.

To be honest, after I watched the movie, I purposefully didn't try seeking out/getting into the score because you guys hyped me up for the possibility of this release (can't remember if it was fully certain back in July-August), but now I can't wait to hear it! Then after I know it alright I can watch the movie again to hear it in context, and I'll also be able to judge the movie more fairly after a second viewing.

For a whole bunch of years, I had a hard time getting into this score.  I had only known the movie, and the expansion.  Maybe 5 years back, I got the DVD which had a copy of the OST, and THAT was what made me really fall in love with this score (minus the disco track).  I'm still looking forward to picking this up, of course, but sometimes the long build/journey of the complete presentation sucks the wind out of it for me.  Same with AI, on occasion.

Disc one of the new LLL set rectifies that by providing more variety in the first half of the score just by moving some cues around and combining others together.  It's pretty neat.

Large Pizza with extra pepperoni ordered.

1  LLLCD1433  CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: 40TH ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED (2 CD / 5000 EDITION) 
1  OOPQRSCE062  HEIDI 
1  FSM1106  THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST 
1  FSM1219  BLACK SUNDAY 

7 minutes ago, Fal said:

Sucks to be you, I ordered a copy of HA and got it about 2 weeks ago, probably got the copy they were going to give you! :devil: ;)

:angry:

I would've ordered it by itself weeks ago but the international shipping costs are outrageous unless you get multiple albums in one order.

Should've gotten it instead of Rosewood with E.T. :(

Alright I ordered it

Why isn't it on the New Release section of the site or the main page of the LLL site?. I had to  find it all the way down in the Limited Editions section

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

sometimes the long build/journey of the complete presentation sucks the wind out of it for me.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Disc one of the new LLL set rectifies that by providing more variety in the first half of the score just by moving some cues around and combining others together.  It's pretty neat.

I don't think there's anything to rectify with a C&C John Williams score, not even this one.  CE3K works wonderfully well for me in its proper sequence, although I will of course give a listen to the JW/MM experiment, out of respect to the composer and producers ;)  

3 minutes ago, king mark said:

Alright I ordered it

Why isn't it on the New Release section of the site or the main page of the LLL site?. I had to  find it all the way down in the Limited Editions section

Press F5 on the browser. My browser cache for the page showed the older content.

Probably an expiration date for the page. There are caching tags in the HTML specification that set the time period for pages, which say when the content is considered out of date.

It's there to prevent downloading everything every time the page is visited. This cuts down on the speed of showing the page in the browser.

Ordered! Just by the samples, I can tell that the remastered sound is phenomenal. It is like listening at the recording sessions back in 1977. I cannot wait!

One of the great film scores! Ordered two copies, one for me one for a Christmas present for a friend. Not understanding why there isn't more love on here for CE3K. This score blows me away every time I listen to it. Two summers ago I drove to Devil's Tower with friends, and we had this score blasting for the final approach. I tried to time it so that "I Can't Believe It's Real" was playing as the mountain came into view. Didn't happen. :)

PSA: It is Devils Tower, not Devil's Tower.  To quote MM, "its a tower for ALL devils"

My wife took a road trip there when business took her to South Dakota, I wish I had gone!

My parents invited me to visit Devils Tower with them earlier this year. They'd seen Close Encounters again on Netflix and wanted to go there to see some meteor shower. Unfortunately, my work schedule wouldn't allow me to do that and make the trip I'd planned for the solar eclipse later in the month. Ah, well. I only live about a 7 hour drive from the site, so I'm sure I'll get to check it out eventually.

Ordered !

The samples sound terrific with augmented clarity and fidelity. I'm so relived that finally 'False Alarm' has been restored to its original correct film mix. The Arista expansion had the vocal choir mix down quite low so as to be almost inaudible as compared to its film mix where it was very prominent and clear. I had earlier thought either it was an alternate cue or an incorrect mix. Luckily I had earlier checked with Mike Matessino and he kindly clarified back to me (which I'am sharing below)

MM: There are no alternate takes for any of the final cues because Kenny cut the 1st generation multi-track. It was simply a matter of balance and bringing out the choir more prominently, which I did this time.Cue is also shortened in the movie.

Needless to say hearing the sample online game me goosebumps. The vocal choir sounds terrific. (Thanks Mike.) This is going to be my favourite release of the year! 

Yes, also noticed in the sample the Choir in 'Chasing UFOs' is more audible and chilling! 

Jay since you have the cd set already, can you comment on the booklet?

The liner notes are another A+ job from Mike Matessino and the art direction is another A+ job from Jim Titus.  Great stuff.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

The liner notes are another A+ job from Mike Matessino and the art direction is another A+ job from Jim Titus.  Great stuff.

I sort of expect no less from a Mike Matessino Williams releases. All the LLL sets have been exceptional.

And yes of course I snatched a copy of this. Hopefully it'll ship soon! :)