THE LAST JEDI - Disney Records OST

Will

As expected, it will be released the same day as the movie, and will be just one disc:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Last-John-Williams/dp/B0758KSWZK/

Currently, there's a placeholder cover, although given what the cover looked like for TFA I wouldn't be surprised if they just add "Music by John Williams" and give us that. 

To be super pedantic, that's just a cropped version of the teaser poster. The starfield in the TFA poster differed from the starfield in TFA's OST artwork, so the final cover (with album credits) will not match this placeholder.

Speaking of album credits, the standard Composed and Conducted by John Williams will almost certainly be reinstated for TLJ. I checked every JW OST cover in the past two decades and only Lincoln and TFA had Music by John Williams (and COS had the William Ross credit, for obvious reasons).

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

That's just a cropped version of the teaser poster. The starfield in the TFA poster differed from the starfield in TFA's OST art. The official cover, credits included, will not match this placeholder (pedantic, I know!)

The standard Composed and Conducted by John Williams credit will certainly be reinstated for TLJ, considering he conducted the entire score. I checked every OST cover in the past two decades and only Lincoln and TFA had Music by John Williams.

Good point. Although Disney may want consistency and insist on "Music by." 

Just now, Will said:

Good point. Although Disney may want consistency and insist on "Music by." 

Williams' contract & agency will want consistency with the duties he actually served on the film. ;) It will revert to Composed and Conducted.

We're still unclear on how much of TFA he conducted, but he obviously didn't conduct enough of the OST inclusions to feel comfortable claiming a credit. Contrast that with Jurassic Park, where Artie Kane conducted parts of the score yet the OST artwork specifies JW as conductor.

Besides, we lost consistency in the prequels. Who was the moron at Sony who decided to change the album spine for ROTS, after TPM & AOTC were consistent? :blink:

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I checked every JW OST cover in the past two decades and only Lincoln and TFA had Music by John Williams

Wow, I never noticed that about the Lincoln soundtrack. Who conducted this score, then? Did JW conduct a few tracks? Is this information available!?

Just now, Josh500 said:

Wow, I never noticed that about the Lincoln soundtrack. Who conducted this score, then? Did JW conduct a few tracks? Is this information available!?

I'm assuming the inclusion of a source track neither composed nor conducted by JW was the reason for that one.

Doesn't explain CMIYC though.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm assuming the inclusion of a source track neither composed nor conducted by JW was the reason for that one.

Huh? Aren't there tons of JW albums that contain pieces not composed and conducted by Williams?

42 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You know, I just checked, and it turns out that, as @Jay alluded to above, the back of the album (and booklet) says "composed and conducted"! 

Image result

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well Ross has done some conducting hasn't he?  In the later sessions?  I thought I saw that somewhere.

Doesn't mean he was necessarily conducting anything.

Even if he did, Williams would still take the conducting credit for the OST. He could easily omit any cues Ross may have conducted.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

And I bet SW IX will feature the Star Wars logo in green....

They've painted themselves into a corner there. Personally I'd guess blue, maybe white?

And yes, they are thoroughly boring covers but that just means we can look forward to more creative covers for the inevitable expansions! :P

Just now, crumbs said:

They've painted themselves into a corner there. Personally I'd guess blue, maybe white?

No, not white. Blue or green, is my guess.

We should make a poll. :D

20 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

That's a rather boring cover artwork, though, I gotta say.

The prequel trilogy was much better, in this regard.

And I bet SW IX will feature the Star Wars logo in green (or blue)....

I bet it'll be black

Someone was talking about co-conducted scores, only three scores where "co-conducted" with others I think:

- Jurassic Park (co-conducted by John Williams and Artie Kane [uncredited], 1993)

- Midway (co-conducted by John Williams and Robert O. Ragland, 1976)
- The Force Awakens (co-conducted by John Williams, William Ross and Gustavo Dudamel, 2015)

And of course, there are those other few ones, which where conducted completely by others: 

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/others.htm

The forums at the time were a million times more entertaining than the film turned out to be. Nothing could top the desperation of JWFan debating over whether music in the commercials was from the score and questioning the validity of the officially released Amazon track list.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Boy, this is going to be a lonnnnnnng 3 1/2 months.

The wait for TFA seemed to drag on and on even more in the later months since we were constantly wondering if/when we were gonna hear any of it before release. Every random commercial was fraught with possibilities, wondering if samples would ever get posted etc. 

At least this year we have a better idea what to expect i.e. next to nothing. I'm not holding my breath for anything until the requisite final trailer in October. Maybe they'll use something there or later in a TV spot again when those start spilling out. Otherwise we'll get a film clip and hopefully a sessions featurette like TFA and Rogue One, and that'll be it until I suppose it leaks a day or two before.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Boy, this is going to be a lonnnnnnng 3 1/2 months.

I'm on a trip in Canada until the end of February. Anything which will be released within the next 6 months, I can only listen to when I'm back at home.

21 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

You can't listen to music in Canada?

Yes, I can. But I cannot order CDs, since my location is constantly changing and I would just have a rucksack to carry the CDs - I can imagine what they would look like after 6 months stuffed in a rucksack.

The only music I can listen to is the music which I have on my mp3-player.

48 minutes ago, king mark said:

Another 1 disk incomplete release ,Same fucking shit when stupid scores like The Mummy and Transformers get deluxe 2 c.d. releases right away.

another year of hoping we get crumbs from  the oscar promo and videogames

Remember that the good news with these December releases is that the FYC will be released only a few days after the OST! Same with The Papers, so I'd be surprised if we have any unreleased music from the latter, given that it will probably be a shorter score. 

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Disney's YouTube channel will surely have the OST, though. There is hope for you!

A friend of mine is gonna order all the new stuff that will be released until February. So when I come home it's like I'm in heaven and spend the first week listening to new expansions:lol:

Luckily you cannot spoil music like movies.

- "The horn section at 2:46 is gonna blow you away!"

- "Man, I didn't want to know that! I haven't listened to it yet!

1 hour ago, king mark said:

Another 1 disk incomplete release ,Same fucking shit when stupid scores like The Mummy and Transformers get deluxe 2 c.d. releases right away.

I would really like to know, who is interested in these complete scores.

6 hours ago, king mark said:

another year of hoping we get crumbs from  the oscar promo and videogames

You realize the reason is John Williams, right?

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

I'm fine with how JW arranges his OSTs. It's his presentation of his music the way he wants people to listen to it.

RotJ and ToD being the best ones. Why do people have such a problem with those ones? They're no shorter than the Jaws, CE3K or 1941 OSTs.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone notice how boring all of the posters for Star Wars seem to be now? I miss the days of Drew Struzan.

His TFA one wasn't great either though.

36 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

That was more of a commemorative/promotional piece and not a full-blown traditional Struzan poster though.

I'm sure if he was brought in to do the official theatrical posters, it would've been more in line with the prequel designs...

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

That was basically just a quick promo sketch done specifically for the attendees of the event that they were given out at. A full-blown poster by him I'm sure would have been amazing as always.