THE LAST JEDI - Disney Records OST

Will

• 2 months later...

So I just got the vinyl set from Barnes & Noble a few days ago and finally got around to digitizing it last night. Turns out one of the LP's is covered in defects. There are multiple places where several seconds of music are missing. I scanned it a few times to make sure it wasn't my record player, and they all turned out identical. Anyone else that got the set have any similar problems?

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

So I just got the vinyl set from Barnes & Noble a few days ago and finally got around to digitizing it last night. Turns out one of the LP's is covered in defects. There are multiple places where several seconds of music are missing. I scanned it a few times to make sure it wasn't my record player, and they all turned out identical. Anyone else that got the set have any similar problems?

I just played the first disc today, and didn't notice any missing music, but I didn't think the vinyl sounded as good as I would have liked. I'm not an audiophile and don't have an expensive setup, plus I don't play a lot of symphonic music on vinyl, so while I felt like the disc might have had defects, I didn't completely trust my own reaction. I did have a hard time fitting the LP onto the turntable, so that was annoying. My impression overall was that the vinyl itself wasn't pressed with much care.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of the packaging. Very high quality prints of movie stills, the credits, and list of musicians. Nice gatefold image, and the tracklisting is on the back!

With the isolated score, I probably won't play the OST often in any format, so I guess the quality of the vinyl won't affect my life too much. But it's a shame that it feels like more of a novelty/collectible item produced as an afterthought than a serious attempt to represent the OST in this format.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

With the isolated score, I probably won't play the OST often in any format, so I guess the quality of the vinyl won't affect my life too much. But it's a shame that it feels like more of a novelty/collectible item produced as an afterthought than a serious attempt to represent the OST in this format.

Indeed. I probably won't ever listen to it much, I just like to collect vinyl albums.

• 4 months later...

I didn't know where to post this bit of curious (or ridiculous) news I came across so I post it here in the TLJ OST thread:

John Williams The Rebellion Is Reborn/Canto Bight (Star Wars) 10" Vinyl (Picture Disc)

• Label Walt Disney Records
  • Genre Soundtracks
  • Released 17/08/18
  • Cat no 8738470
  • Super limited 10" from John Williams. 10” custom shape picture disc vinyl with crystal clear substrate.

John Williams The Rebellion Is Reborn/Canto Bight (Star Wars) 10