Rate Gremlins!

Josh500

Rate Gremlins!   

17 members have voted

1. 1. The Gremlins movie from Joe Dante!

• I don't know this movie.
  2. 2. The Gremlins score from Jerry Goldsmith!

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • I don't know this score.

Obviously, this movie and score are not on the same level as E.T., Jaws, or Poltergeist. 

Still, it's quite good. Entertaining in a guilty-pleasure, mindless sort of way. Very campy... or maybe it's just lower quality, but charming and watchable enough. Not to mention fun, and the striking JG score has a lot to do with it!

What's your favourite parts from this score and/or movie? And why?

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Why?

Dante took everything about the first film, dialed it up to 11, and added in bitter but still silly entertainment industry satire.  And Jerry followed suit with his most ridiculously over-the-top score (in a good way).  It's unfiltered Dante and I love it.

I absolutely love the soothing, benevolent, almost hypnotic Gizmo theme.... It's the best part about the Gremlins score, imo.

I remember that this melody stuck with me before I even knew about JG, when I first watched this movie as a kid.

The Gremlins rag is great too, but not as good as the gizmo theme.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Great movie, great score. But my favourite Dante remains INNERSPACE (although GREMLINS has the superior score).

Innerspace score? Is that one of Goldsmith's better efforts? Or forgettable? 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I watched Innerspace just a few days ago, and I personally thought it wasn't up there with Goldsmith's best.  It's certainly not bad though.

Does it have a main theme?

I watched this movie too once, but I think it was 20 years ago. I remember next to nothing about it. 

It's in the cue called 'Main Title'...;) (Randy Newman's inspirational theme from 'The Natural' was the temp, it signals a call for adventure)

Due to the movie so heavily centered around Short's jittery character Goldsmith helps himself - as usually - with a flexible, energetic three note motif which together with a characteristic rising/falling figure for the journey through the body (courtesy of 'Poltergeist') makes the biggest impression. It's got two really cool electronic effects (a morse code/heartbeat one and a menacing metallic clicking for the bad guy) and also a cheesy love theme that only turns up twice but is the most notable melody of the score.

It's really more comedy than sci-fi. But once you're through all the usual suspects this one surely rates much higher than all those lame sugary scores he did for 'people' movies later.

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's in the cue called 'Main Title'...;) (Randy Newman's inspirational theme from 'The Natural' was the temp, it signals a call for adventure)

Due to the movie so heavily centered around Short's jittery character Goldsmith helps himself - as usually - with a flexible, energetic three note motif which together with a characteristic rising/falling figure for the journey through the body (courtesy of 'Poltergeist') makes the biggest impression. It's got two really cool electronic effects (a morse code/heartbeat one and a menacing metallic clicking for the bad guy) and also a cheesy love theme that only turns up twice but is the most notable melody of the score.

It's really more comedy than sci-fi. But once you're through all the usual suspects this one surely rates much higher than all those lame sugary scores he did for 'people' movies later.

Thanks for the info!  I did take note of the cool electronic effects.  I tend to enjoy Jerry's 80s synth stuff though.

• 3 years later...

GREMLINS is good, GREMLINS 2 is better (score-wise, that is).

Never tasted Mountain Dew in my life, not even when I was in the US, but the nod to Goldsmith's stylings at the end of that commercial there is quite cute.