5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Intrada has never released Jaws!

What?

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Please, don't start discussing the meaning of the term "definitive". Not again.

Especially since this thread is for someone who clearly already knows he does like the C&C releases and has specific questions about them.  Thor's just showing up to be obstinate and unhelpful for no reason.

Weird random analogy: Imagine if someone asks which cheeseburger they should try first and some guy butts in and says "Have you considered vegetarianism?"  :sarcasm:

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Especially since this thread is for someone who clearly already knows he does like the C&C releases and has specific questions about them.  Thor's just showing up to be obstinate and unhelpful for no reason.

No, it just pisses me off when someone labels something 'definitive', as it if were some universal truth. 'Definitive' is in the eye of the beholder.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, it just pisses me off when someone labels something 'definitive', as it if were some universal truth. 'Definitive' is in the eye of the beholder.

"Definitive" has become a common expression in the circle of film music fans and the special labels use it the same way. There's nothing to discuss about. The term is (meanwhile) clearly defined.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The only problem, that prevents a better Hook from being released is the fact that some of the original sources of some cues cannot be found. But all in all, it promise you, as far as the find these fucking sources, Master MM is gonna work on it and make a 3 disc definitive version that satisfies even the most extreme JWFan!

Courageous, to give such promises.

Imagine going into a restaurant, and the waiter serves you pizza with anchovies:

- "Here you go, sir....this is the DEFINITIVE way to present a pizza!"

- "Yeah, OK.....I don't really like anchovies, so...."

- "SHUT UP! This is the DEFINITIVE pizza. The kitchen says it, the guests say it. Accept it or leave!"

- "Ok, then I'd rather leave".

- "DEFINITIVE! IT'S DEFINITIVE! Burn in hell!"

:D

The term "definitive" is used to mean "last" (or at least "should be the last"), not necessarily "best". Complete releases are called "definitive", because after those, there's no need for another release, since all the music is out there.

It's not that hard to understand. No need for pizza analogies.

"Definitive" also has a qualitative element to it, it doesn't just mean "last". In its place, I wouldn't mind "complete", "most extensive" or other similar, more objective terms. This may sound like nitpicking, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Hook is not vital 

Hook the score is absolutely vital, but the product most definitely could and should have been better.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

The term "definitive" is used to mean "last" (or at least "should be the last"), not necessarily "best".

I think you're reading into the definition of the word a bit too literally.  While definitive means "conclusive" or "final" it can therefore be read and implied to mean the "last say in the matter", meaning the best that should be available, no need to go further.  That's the secondary implication when people use the word and is perfectly acceptable to be used in that way.

4 hours ago, king mark said:

i didn't buy the latest Home Alone releases

Neither did I. I pirated the hell out of them. Judge me all you want. I already bought those how many times? All I wanted from the reissues was a couple of tracks. In fact, several of these La-La Land releases were deemed unnecessary by myself, including The Fury (I'm all set with 3 Varese CDs), Rosewood (OST is more than enough--I'll probably never listen to it again), Home Alone for the second time in recent history (I just bought this and I thought it had everything edition) and Home Alone 2, which has inferior packaging to the Varese version, even if it has the Celebrity Ding Dang Dong.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

"Definitive" also has a qualitative element to it, it doesn't just mean "last". In its place, I wouldn't mind "complete", "most extensive" or other similar, more objective terms. This may sound like nitpicking, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

Definitive to my usage and reading is the final say, in the case of film scores, the item that defines the ideal.

- Complete to everything available.

- Great artwork and remastering.

- Great liner notes.

In short, a product that is virtually impossible to improve.

Home Alone 25th Anniversary and Star Trek TMP 3CD Set meet that definition to me.

Hook, on the other hand, is certainly the latest and greatest, but is not Definitive, given that a better sourced, more complete presentation is possible.

It is qualitative in nature, given that most statements on this board are more opinion than empirical fact, and this is an appropriate usage in this context, IMHO.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

The LLL releases? No. The original releases (FSM and Epic)? Yes, they were. Don't assume something is "definitive" for everyone just because it fits your own criteria.

Where's the thumb down button?

No more posts continuing from what Thor started in here. Take that line of discussion somewhere else. Let's bring this thread back to its original intention. Thor, stay out. 

You never know, ET may spark a lot of people buy up some of their other Williams titles. Wouldn't hurt to secure copies for yourself as soon as you can. 

16 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't have a single JW release by LaLaLand Records. Still holding out hope for the day when they release a previously unreleased score.

It will be so funny when they do this it's complete and chronological and not a 40 minute presentation! 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It will be so funny when they do this it's complete and chronological and not a 40 minute presentation! 

That's OK. Even if not preferable, it's better than having nothing at all. Has anyone ever read anything about LLL investigating the possibility of releasing a completely unreleased JW score? I don't know, since I don't tend to follow those types of threads.

It would be better for the labels to get the retrievable scores done and dusted before more time can destroy tapes, and also the bigger titles help to gain traction for more obscure scores to be released!

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Thor, when you watch a film and absolutely love a certain cue that is then not on the OST, how do you cope?

bollemaneke, Jay has said that we are not allowed to discuss this more in this thread. I refer you to the other one (linked above).

On 9.9.2017 at 5:48 AM, Thor said:

I'm always curious who will take up the mantle from FSM in that arena. Perhaps Intrada is a likelier candidate than LLL.

I'd really like to know, why they quit producing score expansions.

Lukas Kendall said the times if Complete Scores is coming to an end. Well, maybe nowadays a limited edition does not sell out within a few hours, but if we take Williams as an example, it's just starting!

The pleasant aspect of being a Williams and Goldsmith fan is, from 2005 to 2015 you could always be looking forward to Goldsmith special releases, and since 2015 that part was somehow handed over to Williams special releases, which you can now be excited about! Its "peak season" will probably go from 2015 to 2025, because you don't really need much more time to expand the important stuff.

A fun quote from that Lukas Kendall interview:

The right way to produce a film score album is the way we did them. It may seem like there were a hundred people who wanted abridged albums, but it was really just one guy who posted a hundred times.

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

Here's the quote I'm saddest has still not come to pass:

The future of film music is going to be digital. For years, the studios (wisely) licensed only physical CD rights to the boutique labels, keeping the download rights. I wish they would start putting the scores up for downloads because that way everything under the sun could be available. It would be the single best way to combat all the illegal download sites. The problem is simply one of administration: the studio music departments have been so downsized that they do not have the manpower to set up the royalty schedules and do all the encoding and paperwork. 

While it's certainly true for new releases, I'm still very frustrated at how expanded scores are limited and physical-only.  Keep them off the streaming sites, since they pay so little, just put them up on Amazon/iTunes or even direct digital sales on label sites.

I totally see the argument that if a new release was digital and available all the time, people would buy less because they could put off the purchase, but it's still something I'd like to do (buy digitally).

The labels would all love to sell scores digitally but the license holders almost always only grant them physical CD rights

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A fun quote from that Lukas Kendall interview:

hehehehehehehehehehehehe

I'm honoured! :)

Be that as it may, a great many of the FSM releases weren't expansions, but just premiere soundtrack releases. Also several first-time LP-to-CD albums.

• 1 month later...

La-La Land in particular do a big Black Friday blowout each year; it's when some of their biggest/most popular titles of the entire year can be expected. Close Encounters of the Third Kind for example I believe is slated for this year's.