2028 Los Angeles Olympics. Can we look forward to a new John Williams theme???

zoltan_902

I've discussed this before here, but this was the reason why I was so bummed that LA got 2028 and not 2024. I feel virtually certain (aka hope) that Williams will write a piece if he is still able, given that he did so the last time the Olympics were in LA, as well as the two previous U.S.-hosted Games. 

I think we can be pretty sure that he won't conduct it, though, even if he can write it (no sure thing). :(

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

The only way this happens is if they ask him well in advanced, like in the next 2 years.  He could write, record, and let it sit.  I think Williams would do it and not be put off by the obvious reason for the early request. 

Ironically, knowing there is a new Williams' Olympic piece on a flashdrive for which we have to wait 10 years to hear might be the thing that kills off a few Jwfaners. 

That would be great. Particularly if Williams passed away before the Games, the premiere would provide almost poetic closure. His last premiered piece, performed in front of a giant stadium with a worldwide television audience... That's just what JW deserves. I almost get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. And I think the expectation of it would keep a spark of hope alive amid my sadness over his death, if indeed it came too soon. 

4 hours ago, Omen II said:

I believe he did, but he has a different waist size so they didn't fit properly.

I'm sure with his wealth he has access to a good seamstress. Or tailor?

• 2 years later...

We probably all know and value wonderful Olympic hymns composed by John Williams to the Olympic Games in Los Angeles, Seoul, Atlanta and Salt Like City. In 2028, the Summer Games will be held again in Los Angeles. And of course I know that Williams will be 96 then, a lot can happen until then, but ... he said several times that he would never withdraw from music or retire (from composing).  Do you believe that it's possible that he will compose another hymn? Or maybe IOC will order it from him a few years earlier?

History would have wonderfully come full circle (Los Angeles 1984 - Los Angeles 2028). :)

EDIT: I wasn't aware that there was already such a topic, that's why I started a new one. Thanks for the correction.

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, Bayesian said:

I'll revive this thread to say that I sure do hope JW writes something for one more Olympic Games. Paris '24 or L.A. '28, either one. I've been listening to the four themes he wrote (for '84, '88, '96 and '02) and I think my fave right now is '02. But goddam, they are ALL incredible.I have to imagine there are composers who'd give their left nut to lay claim to any one of them, let alone all four.

FIVE, actually. People often forget the Special Olympics theme in '87.

But yes, I also hope he has one more left in him. If he does anything for Paris, it would have to be for NBC's coverage, like he did in '88.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't think Zimmer is very good at the short form, fanfare thing. Especially since he's moved on from writing traditional "themes" per se. The few things he's done for soccer games, the Oscars and car commercials haven't been very good.

True, but I want to believe he has another old-school power anthem in him, which would be perfect for this. In fact, several of those 90s efforts are used for sporting events to this very day.