Lalo Schifrin and Jaws

Omen II

:thumbup:

Apart from John Williams (of course), one of my favourite film composers is that man from the pampas, Lalo Schifrin. I have vague recollections of hearing or reading somewhere that Lalo Schifrin recorded his own version of John Williams's theme from Jaws soon after the movie's release.

Can anyone confirm this? If it is true, is the recording still available anywhere on CD? I know that years ago one of my brothers had a tape on which were various movie themes (all the usual suspects), including 'Jaws'. However, the version on the tape sounded like it could have been written for one of the Dirty Harry movies, as it featured jazzy riffs, electric bass and wa-wa guitars. He no longer has the tape, but I am now wondering if this could have been the Schifrin version.

Can anyone help? If so, go ahead, punk, make my day!

Damien - who promises that this is no poisson d'avril

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what your talking about. The album is called Black Widow, recorded in March 1976 for CTI Records. This was also recently released on cd by Epic Legacy/Sony Music (5060292), and your right regarding the description of Schifrin's arrangement.

For more details and track list, check my website here:

http://johnwilliams.jw-music.net/cine_disc.../cti5060292.htm

Even Goldsmith admits on the DVD commentary of The Omen that because the Jaws score had been a major sucess that year, the Omen director asked him if he could do a "Jaws style" approach in a certain cue of the movie. Goldsmith agreed and it can be found in the piece "Broken Vows"