What do you pay for limited editions in your country?

Brundlefly

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

A question to non-US posters buying soundtracks from Screen Archives Entertainment:

Do they write the actual value of the content on the package, or a lower value to avoid customs?

They mark a lower value so I have never paid extra custom fees for their packages.

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

They mark a lower value so I have never paid extra custom fees for their packages.

To sum up, based on answers at this forum, the following vendors write a lower value on the package to avoid customs:

LLL

Intrada

SAE

Music Box Records

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

I know and it's very annoying.

When it's about something as stupid, contrived, useless and overpriced as international customs, any sane person would accept any possible loopholes and workarounds.

When you get packages, do you look at the price and go "Aw schucks, I wanted to pay twice the price for absolutely nothing!"?

35 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I am law-abiding and try to be honest in my dealings. 

38 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

A. It's dishonest

B. It's fraudulent

C. Need I go on?

D. You're that infuriating goodie-two-shoes kid at school who'd dob on everyone else for the most trivial instances of rule breaking. The other kids would quickly learn not to trust you as far as they could slam you in a game of dodgeball.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would be different if these special label issues were in fact available in my country. As it is, the customs tax is nonsensical because there's no domestic competition on these goods.

The Gerry Harveys and other protectionists of this world plug their ears and go "LALALALALALA!!" when you try to explain this important point.

Insane enought that we don't want to pay additional giant fees on top of it for booger-eaters rummaging through our packages, not closing it back properly, then sitting on it for weeks.

From a European point of view, would a trade agreement between the US and EU solve this crap? I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that we're supposed to live in a globalised world, but that ordering from the US is so costly.

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

You’re not breaking any law though. 

At least in my country you are, as the onus is on the importer to ensure the goods are declared at true value for the calculation of VAT. That's why I would get annoyed when SAE did not declare the true value, even though I would always ask them to in the "additional instructions" field.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

When it's about something as stupid, contrived, useless and overpriced as international customs, any sane person would accept any possible loopholes and workarounds.

When you get packages, do you look at the price and go "Aw schucks, I wanted to pay twice the price for absolutely nothing!"?

The law is the law, whether or not one thinks it stupid. Not sure what you mean by contrived. To the Fiscus it most definitely is not useless. Overpriced I suppose depends on each country, in mine it's a minimal bump.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It would be different if these special label issues were in fact available in my country. As it is, the customs tax is nonsensical because there's no domestic competition on these goods.

It's not only about protectionism, it's also about the balance of payments.

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

D. You're that infuriating goodie-two-shoes kid at school who'd dob on everyone else for the most trivial instances of rule breaking. The other kids would quickly learn not to trust you as far as they could slam you in a game of dodgeball.

Actually I was considered a bit of a rebel at school. The headmaster hated my guts.

Anyway, school rules are a far cry from the laws of the land. Breaking the former would primarily lead to your butt stinging for a few minutes or at the very worst being expelled.

I also hate it when LLL sets the existence of the domestic special labels at risk. Because of their giant, ruthless company, labels as [insert German special label, if you find one] are highly endangered! The extra fees are trying to prevent this.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Anyway, school rules are a far cry from the laws of the land. Breaking the former would primarily lead to your butt stinging for a few minutes or at the very worst being expelled.

Yeah that's really distant from my analogy.

Indeed.

In any case, I've had the problem sorted as I now order exclusively via a 3rd party importer. They handle the customs, shipping, clearance, VAT and the works. The price they quote me is all I pay, and the goods get couriered to my door.

I ordered three titles from the V/S sale this week, USD value of 25.00, with all included it's costing me the equivalent of around USD 89.00.

Well if you feel like you’re breaking the law the best way for you to combat it is to just not buy from these people.

4 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Well if you feel like you’re breaking the law the best way for you to combat it is to just not buy from these people.

Yep, that's what I've done, see my post above.

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2018 at 6:46 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

To sum up, based on answers at this forum, the following vendors write a lower value on the package to avoid customs:

LLL

Intrada

SAE

Music Box Records 

Which one of the above vendors does the sturdiest packaging?

For me in Canada, actually SAE is better regarding the shipping fees.

I always order 3-4 CDs together, so it always arrive in a cardboard box.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:12 AM, JTWfan77 said:

A. It's dishonest

B. It's fraudulent

C. Need I go on?

As long as you shoulder this burden i'm ok with the charge.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Glad there were more people not like you to overturn laws like slavery and segregation. 

Oh FFS get over yourself. Let's blow the whole thing out of proportion shall we?

Slavery and segregation are immoral and unethical. Paying one's taxes to the democratically elected fiscus is not.

Falsifying customs declarations is fraud.

Debatable?

No.

Even if the sender does it?

Still fraud.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 11:59 AM, Bilbo said:

I’ve ordered through music box for the first time and it’s working out a bit cheaper 

These guys are great! I've been buying all my specialty label soundtracks exclusively from them for a while now and so far, their service has been impeccable. Compared to what I used to pay when ordering my CDs directly from the US, their prices are very competitive, plus they usually get all the special editions in stock real fast, so there's no considerable waiting time. They also have a pretty good stock of used and/or rare CDs. All in all, definitely my favorite internet soundtrack retailer as of late.

52 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

These guys are great! I've been buying all my specialty label soundtracks exclusively from them for a while now and so far, their service has been impeccable. Compared to what I used to pay when ordering my CDs directly from the US, their prices are very competitive, plus they usually get all the special editions in stock real fast, so there's no considerable waiting time. They also have a pretty good stock of used and/or rare CDs. All in all, definitely my favorite internet soundtrack retailer as of late.

From soundtrackcorner you can even order special editions as soon as they're announced by the label. So you can order them there, before you can order them from the special labels' sites.

You mean to say you can pre-order them? Well, you can do the same at the Music Box! :) Plus, I think Soundtrack Corner's prices are usually higher. I just went to randomly check and as I can see, The Cowboys cost 34,95 EUR at the Soundtrack Corner and 30,95 EUR at the Music Box.

Soundtrackcorner's shipping is cheaper, though usually it still comes out a bit more than Musicbox's final price.

I can also see that the Soundtrack Corner still doesn't have The Cowboys in stock while I have already received it from the Music Box.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Soundtrackcorner's shipping is cheaper, though usually it still comes out a bit more than Musicbox's final price.

In their last newsletter just this week, Music Box have said that their shipping prices to a number of European countries will be lower from now on! :rock2:

Just now, Maglorfin said:

In their last newsletter just this week, Music Box have said that their shipping prices to a number of European countries will be lower from now on! :rock2:

Hmmm... Might just get Cowboys+The Mummy from them pretty soon then.

Here, I found it:

Price drop on Colissimo Pick-up Station (France + Europe) and Colissimo Europe. 
New deliveries with Colissimo : Estonia, Hungary, Lettonia, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Danemark, Poland, Sweden, Bulgaria, Chypre, Croatia, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Malta, Norway, Romania.

It already seems lower, Colissimo Registered did not change much though. Would it be fine to order it with La Poste priority with tracking number, but not registered?

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

It already seems lower, Colissimo Registered did not change much though. Would it be fine to order it with La Poste priority with tracking number, but not registered?

I always pick the cheapest shipping option and so far, I have always received my orders really fast and delivered with DPD (which I from the beginning thought strange but after doing a little research, I discovered that DPDgroup is actually the international parcel delivery network of group state owned French postal service, La Poste).

Colissimo also gives it to DPD here, who I like very much, so I'd see no difference on my end except for the lower price. Sold!

1 hour ago, Maglorfin said:

You mean to say you can pre-order them? Well, you can do the same at the Music Box! :) Plus, I think Soundtrack Corner's prices are usually higher. I just went to randomly check and as I can see, The Cowboys cost 34,95 EUR at the Soundtrack Corner and 30,95 EUR at the Music Box.

1 hour ago, Maglorfin said:

I can also see that the Soundtrack Corner still doesn't have The Cowboys in stock while I have already received it from the Music Box.

There appear to be some shipping issues with Varese titles. A usual special release from both LLL and Varese is normally 19,99$, but on soundtrackcorner the LLL article costs 21,95€ and the Varese article costs 34,95€. In addition to that, the Varese titles usually arrive later at their store.