Superman the Movie TV cut Blu-ray - contains previously unused JW music restored to picture - Update: 4K UHD disc release expected 2018 (theatrical?)

This is one of those fake extended TV versions, right? I remember I had a version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture on VHS with scenes that were better off cut.

I'd still check this out because I've never seen it.

Although this version is padded a lot (created by the producers for tv to maximise running time), it apparently features some restored music, including the full Destruction of Krypton. I always felt the way that cue was edited in the theatrical is a tragedy.

It also includes the bit of music cut from the film where Supes waits for the XK-101 to arrive, only to have it change course.

9 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

This is one of those fake extended TV versions, right? I remember I had a version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture on VHS with scenes that were better off cut.

I'd still check this out because I've never seen it.

Yes it was padded  out to fill two two-hour blocks (with commercials) so features tons of stuff anyone in their right mind would cut from any proper version.

A huge selling point of this set is while some of the extra scenes may be unnecessary or redundant, they still LOOK great, and have only ever been seen in via cropped 4:3 low-def 80s broadcast TV.   Now you'll get to see them in their HD 2.35:1 glory

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Although this version is padded a lot (created by the producers for tv to maximise running time), it apparently features some restored music, including the full Destruction of Krypton. I always felt the way that cue was edited in the theatrical is a tragedy.

Exactly, it also features some actual nicely edited scenes that were actually from the cut Williams scored to so you finally get to see the music restored to the footage it was written for

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

It also includes the bit of music cut from the film where Supes waits for the XK-101 to arrive, only to have it change course.

I think that there's also a short scene, where Superman outflies Concorde. This was used in the TV cut of S:II.

As long as it's in 2.35:1, I'll be happy.

Now for the full 2 1/2 hour version of EARTHQUAKE, please.

I thought this would never happen. I suppose anything is possible.

This was the version I grew up with, so I'm eager to revisit it on blu-ray. If they do the same for Superman II, I'd call my collection complete. I find that one better than the theatrical and the Donner Cut because it uses the best of both directors' work to good effect.

Have they put a release date on this set? I didn't see it in the announcement.

Does anyone remember the fake TV version of The Lost World that added the board meeting scene immediately after the opening scene and ruined the Malcolm subway gag? Stupid.

That wouldn't even fit. The subway gag has always been intended to be there. You can even see a guy carrying a box with lots of paperwork from the meeting, when Ludlow is coming down the stairs. He then sees Malcolm and while talking to him he signs a few contracts, probably concerning the incident. The order must be:

- train station scene

- meeting

- Malcolm arrives at the property and encounters Ludlow who has just finished the meeting

I do! I also remember thinking how weird it was that those scenes premiered in a more "finished" state (good sound, clear picture, etc.) on network TV than their counterparts on the official DVD

There's also the extended TV version of Gladiator, which was interesting but the pacing was all gone.

I'm just excited for this Superman extended cut because it's an effort to preserve the only version some of us even knew between 1985 and 2000.

I remember when I bought the first DVD in 2000, I was taken aback at how much shorter it was, and this was the Director's Cut!

The extended Gladiator was fine. A little bit more details, but not enough to destroy the pace at all. The only thing that bothers me is that they spared any expense, to release the uncut version of Gladiator:angry:

The film that truly need an extended cut are the Potters, Lost World and Once Upon a Time in America!

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The film that truly need an extended cut are the Potters, Lost World and Once Upon a Time in America!

What do you mean? The 251-minute extended cut (the longest version available) of Leone's film was released on Blu-ray five years ago

8 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

What do you mean? The 251-minute extended cut (the longest version available) of Leone's film was released on Blu-ray five years ago

It has 22 additional minutes (which add surprisingly much to the movie as a whole that had already had a running time of almost 4 hours!). But it was originally intended to be exptended by 40 minutes. However, 18 of those were in so bad condition that they decided not to include them. The real Director's Cut would have a running time of 269 minutes. It's by far my favourite film and I would like to know what these 18 minutes are.

I mentioned Lost World, because I think it is wasted potential (first half is the potential, second half is the waste). A more ambitious Director's Cut could barely compensate that, but improve the whole movie.

Harry Potter needs extended cuts in LotR-style, obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears they mucked with the opening title music for the new blu ray, and it also has "framing issues, new color correction, and an alternate and previously unreleased version of one sequence"

http://www.capedwonder.com/

On 12/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, Jay said:

Well, did you read the article I linked to?

I knew it a few days ago. I couldn't find this thread 

http://www.capedwonder.com/STMEC/CW-Superman-Extended-Cut-music-article.pdf

Interesting!

You just linked to the same article I did :P

EDIT: Oh, wow!  I just checked my link again, and they took the article down!  Thankfully its preserved in the PDF version you linked to. Nice!

So has any JWFan members here purchased this blu ray and watched it yet?

Any comments on the previously unused JW music that is now restored to picture?

I got my copy about a week ago. I think that the theatrical cut is just about as good as it comes in terms of editing; but this is a nifty little treat indeed. The majority of the added scenes are just longer establishing shots or longer versions of action segments (ie, the destruction of Krypton and the Earth Quake sequence). But there are several little Superman moments sprinkled in that are wonderful. For die hard fans (and people who've been watching the bootleg broadcast or have 'Restored International Cut,'), it's the next inevitable iteration, and a must-have. For anyone who else who merely enjoys STM, at best-- it will be a fascinating glimpse into just how much work was done to make this movie; at worst, it will be considered a boring cash grab. I love it, though. Great companion to one of my favorite movies of all time.  

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did you notice any previously unused John Williams music now finally restored to picture?

Absolutely. Nearly every bit of unused music is restored to either it's exact scoring specification, or placed in its originally intended scene, but repeated in places due to the scene being expanded in length beyond the versions that JW scored. Particularly for Krypton, this was spectacular; a great portion of the destruction music was dialed out. The unused music now adds some operatic terror to the scenes, which are already more frantic because of the new footage. The Earthquake sequence has the end of 'Chasing Rockets' (beginning at the moment that he hurls the missile into space), and MOST of 'Superfeats' re-inserted. I think it all works magnificently. 

32 minutes ago, jwalk713 said:

Absolutely. Nearly every bit of unused music is restored to either it's exact scoring specification, or placed in its originally intended scene, but repeated in places due to the scene being expanded in length beyond the versions that JW scored. Particularly for Krypton, this was spectacular; a great portion of the destruction music was dialed out. The unused music now adds some operatic terror to the scenes, which are already more frantic because of the new footage. The Earthquake sequence has the end of 'Chasing Rockets' (beginning at the moment that he hurls the missile into space), and MOST of 'Superfeats' re-inserted. I think it all works magnificently. 

Thanks, that's great news!

Moving this thread to the JW forum for more visibility on this ;)

I really like the colors, especially the suit. The Blu Ray set turned the blue to an almost teal shade that I wasn't crazy about; it's lush and Royal blue now. One BIG gripe that I somehow forgot to mention: the main title-- they attempted to use the originally intended March, which thankfully corrected the half step pitch crank that occurs at the title card. But then, they made about 13 additional, completely unnecessary edits in the piece, and a few of them are jarring and horrible. Lol substantial gripe. But the rest is great.