New book on John Williams coming in April 2018

TownerFan

Nice to see another book; and relieved that it's not the biography/overview-type book (for a broader audience) that I -- still -- have planned.

(incidentally, I still haven't bought any of these John Williams books).

Looks fantastic, will keep my eye on the release as it gets closer.

On books, I wonder if Doug Adams would consider writing a book on the entire Star Wars series, once John (hopefully) finishes Episode IX in 2019?

Oh cool!  Luckily I work for a university so I'll be able to snag it through interlibrary loan or convince the library to buy a copy.

I like this in the description

only recently – and quite belatedly – Williams’ music has begun to be taken seriously, and scholars from the music and the film departments have begun to produce research in the form of books

I think this is natural as people who were younger/not even born yet when Williams greatest music was coming out rise to leadership positions in academia.  The snobs of yore who dismissed him are retired or dead.

If this Emilio wants a discography in his book... he just have to ask me ;)

But by judging by the title, the author will probably obscure the debuts of John Williams as a pianist recording artist.

That's a choice.

A proficilic composer like John Williams don't start or come from scratch lis this, poufff, magic. The debuts are importants, they explain a lot. Anyway, that's my mission here, one day I will suceed to show that the carreer of John Williams don't resume to his filmography. :P

Great news! Looking forward to this as I am of all the John Williams "studies"! Hopefully one of many to come in the future!

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think this is natural as people who were younger/not even born yet when Williams greatest music was coming out rise to leadership positions in academia.  The snobs of yore who dismissed him are retired or dead.

Well, to be fair, Williams has made frequent appearances in academic film music literature over the years (at least since the 70s), but it's also true that these analyses are more prolific now than they used to be. Most, if not ALL of the books that have been released on Williams (including this) thus far have been book versions of theses in some form or fashion.

Why study the music, when you just have to listen to it?  You want to teach someone how to write like John Williams?

Can we leave a little "magic" in the making of music?

Why always the need to analyze. ;)

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Why study the music, when you just have to listen to it?  You want to teach someone how to write like John Williams?

You are in a contrarian mood today Bespin my friend.

Well I think I have a special Bespin filter installed as I usually don't pay attention to those posts. I guess I should get this filter fixed! ;) 

The truth is that I would never buy such a book, because I would understand nothing. That's plain truth. I read music, but that's it. I once play clarinet... a long time ago.. in a .... ;) 

Well the important thing is to be passionate!

If it's a purely musicological book, I would be pretty lost too. But I really appreciate the effort. Kinda offended that I wasn't asked to contribute, as I'm both an academic and a John Williams "expert" -- and have already written a long analysis of E.T.'s music in my thesis. But again, it's more from the angle of film analysis than music analysis.

I would certainly like to read it at some point. I think it might be the most promising book on Williams yet.

From what I can gather from the publicity material the book contains a variety of approaches, not all of them musical theory studies so I think there will be something for everyone.

Btw Audissino's book is also highly readable and doesn't go into musical theory in a way that would make it unreadable to us who are not musically literate. 

Inky's right, Emilio's previous book is a good read. 

The book says "edited by", so...who are the contributors?

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I take your point, Bes, but what we perceive as "magic", is, actually, borne out of very, very hard work. We sometimes forget that composing music is JW's job.

The "magic" lies in the connection between us, and what we listen to.

For example; just because I know how the sfx in ROTJ are accomplished (paintings on glass/miniatures/motion control, etc.) doesn't make me appreciate the finished product any less.

Like most JWfaners, I'm not a musician, nor a musicologist. I'm just a fan who wants to understand how JW achieves what he achieves. If this book (and others like it) can help me do that, then I think that that's no bad thing.

To comeback on the subject, can someowne maybe someone here, can write a dull book about the dull life of John Williams.  A true biography, starting from the beginnings (his parents bla bla bla), is first job, his first loves, just things like this? The BPO, the success, the family, his relations with film directors.

I mean A real book for real people? And a real discography at the end (mine of course in text format)  :D

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

To comeback on the subject, can someowne maybe someone here, can write a dull book about the dull life of John Williams.  A true biography, starting from the beginnings (his parents bla bla bla), is first job, his first loves, just things like this? The BPO, the success, the family.

23 hours ago, Thor said:

Nice to see another book; and relieved that it's not the biography/overview-type book (for a broader audience) that I -- still -- have planned.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Let's make things clear, I will never read a book wrote by Thor. He's a frustrated football player, we need a true author for that book! ;)

46 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm wondering "Have we reached peak of Bespin"?, Maybe we should start a thread about this, what do you think @Richard?  ;)

Check out "other topics" :)

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

A true biography, starting from the beginnings (his parents bla bla bla)

His father was a man, and his mother was a woman. More than that, I cannot say.

18 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I figured that "warts" have more than one meaning in english, because I don't have warts!

To like someone, warts 'n' all means to accept their bad, as well as their good, points.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, eaudissino said:

Hello everyone,

for those interested, attached are the Table of Contents and Abstracts.

TOC.pdf

Abstracts and Contributors.pdf

Thanks, Emilio. Really looking forward to reading everyone's contribution to this very important book.

Here's what Conrad Pope has to say about it on Facebook:

Wonderful, Emilio! God bless you and all the authors for forming the vanguard in establishing a beachhead for confirming John Williams' position in the pantheon of composers who have influenced not only individual lives but who have shaped the course and helped define the course of our cultural history. Tutti Bravi! Academics take notice! Fans rejoice!

19 minutes ago, eaudissino said:

I'm afraid not, for the time being. The publisher has only released the hardcopy. Sorry.

Thanks for your reply. I enjoyed your last book.. MMmm Might have to buy a real book for the first time since that The Music of The Lord of the Rings!