Will we ever get complete Star Wars releases in our lifetime?

King Mark

Will we ever get complete Star Wars score releases in our lifetime?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will we ever get complete Star Wars releases in our lifetime?

I am 100% confident Kathleen Kennedy will hire Mike Matessino to redo all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores eventually.  When? Who knows.

It needs to make financial sense. If they can repackage the same garbage in different ways without new investment and still make money, they will. These releases need to fail. They won't. The cycle continues. 

Surely remastered and expanded sets of Star Wars and Indiana Jones are on the top of multiple lists; Kennedy et al. probably have them under wraps and Disney is waiting for the right time. I understand your disdain mark, we've been robbed many years of not having all this music in good quality and complete - this and for many more scores is a crying shame... 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I am 100% confident Kathleen Kennedy will hire Mike Matessino to redo all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores eventually.

So at least during Mike's lifetime.  Goooooood.

I think we can forget about Indiana Jones until the fifth film, so I'm alright with that. We're still in the middle of a new Star Wars trilogy by JW! I have no reason to be unhappy.

Besides, we have 98% of the OT in varying degrees of quality. They aren't perfect but it's not like there's a goldmine of unreleased treasures like with the prequels, TFA or Indy scores.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I am 100% confident Kathleen Kennedy will hire Mike Matessino to redo all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores eventually.  

100% CONFIRMED!!!1 Mike Mattesino to produce a complete Star Wars/Indiana Jones box set!

The only reason for Disney, not to immediately work on a complete SW collection is that they would rather want to milk the cow, before they butcher it. For the hardcore fans would be eternally satisfied with a MM set.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

I am 100% confident Kathleen Kennedy will hire Mike Matessino to redo all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores eventually.  When? Who knows.

HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!!!!! 1 

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Hopefully within the next five years.

If, in 1977, and 1980, all we got were single LPs (which was the general case, with OSTs), and if Disney just announced that two-disc sets are about to be released, approximating the 1997 releases, we'd all be kissing The Mouse's butt, instead of berating it for not putting out that extra 30 seconds (or whatever) of underscore.

I have to ask...can't we just be content with what we have? Do we have to demand more, and more, and more, ad nauseum?

I really wonder why they don't just release it. I mean is there a score in the history of cinema that demands a complete release more than the Star Wars franchise? 

If we get 3 different expanded versions of ET, why not the Star Wars prequel trilogy!?

Not sure I need anything from the OT aside from the OSTs and the SEs. So I really couldn’t care less about whatever it is is missing. 

The PT I want complete though. Give to us now!

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I really wonder why they don't just release it. I mean is there a score in the history of cinema that demands a complete release more than the Star Wars franchise?

Because, as Brundlefly so well put it:

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The only reason for Disney, not to immediately work on a complete SW collection is that they would rather want to milk the cow, before they butcher it. For the hardcore fans would be eternally satisfied with a MM set.

The moment Disney will release definitive (here's that word again!) editions of the SW scores, they know fans won't have to double-dip again when it comes to the music of the saga, and they most likely want to avoid that/delay that situation as much as possible....

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Because, as Brundlefly so well put it:

The moment Disney will release definitive (here's that word again!) editions of the SW scores, they know fans won't have to double-dip again when it comes to the music of the saga, and they most likely want to avoid that/delay that situation as much as possible....

So not release it at all?

Doesn't make sense. If they don't release it, the studios themselves aren't making any money off it now.

Oh, I think they'll release it in the next few years.

14 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So not release it at all?

Doesn't make sense. If they don't release it, the studios themselves aren't making any money off it now.

Oh, I think they'll release it in the next few years.

Of course, they will. Just not yet. They simply prefer to first rerelease the old editions to make as much money as possible with those before releasing the "edition to end all the previous editions!".

It could be a cost issue. Producing a definitive edition for something like the Star Wars OT would be a huge enterprise, which would involve locating all elements, sorting out what's unreleased, remastering, writing linear notes, packaging...

And then, who would you sell to? Most casual fans would already have the OSTs. Would the investment pay off?

32 minutes ago, rough cut said:

It could be a cost issue. Producing a definitive edition for something like the Star Wars OT would be a huge enterprise, which would involve locating all elements, sorting out what's unreleased, remastering, writing linear notes, packaging...

And then, who would you sell to? Most casual fans would already have the OSTs. Would the investment pay off?

You fool! MM will do those sets and people will buy them! 

If the JP and ET sales are indicative of anything is that you can assault fans with a thousand reissues, anniversary editions etc. and people will still buy these expanded sets! "Hmm... ooh look another ET set Ima gonna buy dat!" 

From what I've seen elsewhere online and in stores is that people will buy anything if it has a brand they like on it, it could have the exact same content as the previous release, but the packaging is a different colour and they'll still buy it because they need everything from that brand.

If 2CD complete definitive editions of the Star Wars OT go up for sale along with 2CD complete definitive editions of the Star Wars PT, they will all sell very well, for sure.

And yea, the cost of producing them isn't really an issue.  It'll just come out of a general Star Wars merchandising bucket to the Disney bean counters.

ET has by no way proven it's weight in gold yet as the product isn't even in the shelf!!!

JP didn't seem to sell like butter either if what I have read on this forum is true.

As I said in my previous post, it could be a cost issue /---/ would the investment pay off? So I'm not saying it's an issue of cost. My point is that in the end it's about profit.

The ET score has already been expanded and re-released twice. That tells me that the process of including the last missing bits and pieces is relatively easy.

Who knows what kind of mess it'd be to track down the SW tapes? Maybe better then to just re-release the OST.

Oh wait, that's exactly what Disney's doing...

2LP of course.  Its just physical CD (and vinyl) versions of the digital downloads they have up now on Spotify, Amazon MP3, iTunes, HDTracks, etc etc

They're just straight reissues of the new remasters Sony did just before they lost the license

• 1 month later...

You know 0:45-1:15 of Reading the Words from A.I.? I'm especially looking forward to such passages in Star Wars 2 and 3, when a complete score will be released. These minimalistic passages are very rare in JW's works, but when they appear they are gorgeous. Sadly this is what JW normally excludes from the OST program.