Which are your Top 5 Alan Silvestri scores?

Josh500

I don't know enough to make a Top 5.

But the ones that I like are....

Back to the Future and its sequels and Forrest Gump.

What are your Top 5 from this composer?

Forrest Gump

The Mummy Returns 

Judge Dredd 

The Abyss 

Back To The Future III (Best of the three overall IMO)

HM's to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Contact, A Christmas Carol, Flight of The Navigator (I dig that synclavier, and it's a childhood favorite which helps), Mouse Hunt 

15 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

What about Van Helsing and Predator? 

Predator 1 and 2 are superb action scores. Van Helsing's a bit relentless and loud, but it's a fun romp. The complete score (which has been posted full on youtube thankfully), also contains more subdued underscoring (the love theme and mystery theme are much more present, similar to the full Mummy Returns score), which makes the score a lot easier for me to listen to all the way through. 

1. Back to The Future 

2. The Mummy Returns

3. Predator 

4. Forrest Gump

5. The Abyss

Honorable mentions: The Polar Express, The Mexican and The Bride's Father.

1. Back to the Future trilogy

2. Forrest Gump

3. Contact

4. The Mummy Returns

5. Father of the Bride

I tend to enjoy his schmaltzy side so I also enjoy Polar Express.   Mousehunt is great.  I recently listened to Richie Rich and it has some fun parts.

Admittedly, I’m not familiar with everything of his.

Does anybody know Oliver Stone's The Hand? 

I don't have the soundtrack album (not sure if it was even officially released--this may be just a bootleg), but this one's highly disturbing and also great!

4b26425700350519d6d2464521adefdc.jpg

Alan Silvestri is one of my favourite composers, although score highlights in the last 15 years have been few and far between.

1. THE ABYSS
2. Forrest Gump

3. The Mummy Returns

4. Flight of the Navigator

5. Contact

His light jazz is pretty much as white as it gets. There's a lot of that stuff in both FotB and Stuart Little.

But yeah Stu, I too love the Silvestri schmaltz.  The melody at 2:04 is like a cozy blanket. And Polar Express, Forrest Gump, and the Father of the Brides are favorites of mine as well. I'll be uncool with you!

Shout out to the underrated Beowulf. On first blush it might seem overtly testosterone soaked but is a nice multithematic score. The main theme is memorable and it's different parts are used during the action scenes and other places. There's a nice folksy love theme and also some good seduction music for the demon character.

I especially like how he incorporates the theme and the song near the end, and turns it really sad and poignant sounding to fit the tragic ending . He Was The Best of Us is superb. 

1. Predator (might not be the most enjoyable on album, but as a film score it made the greatest contribution to the film of anything he ever wrote...Predator 2 is also very good)

2. Contact (perhaps his loveliest score...honorable mentions to Forrest Gump and Cast Away)

3. The Mummy Returns (his most exciting score -- get the boot or hold out for a legit complete release, some great highlights including the end of the film were left off the album because they weren't recorded in time...it doesn't have the incredible highlights of the Goldsmith score IMO but it's a ton of fun and the Sandcastles theme is wonderful.)

4. Mousehunt (his most fun and catchy score -- see the film and appreciate it there because it's delightful)

5. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (zany and creative)

More honorable mentions: The Abyss (highlights are great), Soapdish (wonderful fun score for a wonderful fun film), Lilo & Stitch (fantastic but needs a longer official release), Super Mario Bros. (needs an official release, period), Judge Dredd (fun action score with some good highlights), and Polar Express.

Cosmos is probably his best recent work but that was a TV series...

I might reevaluate Van Helsing if I heard the complete score but the album is headache-inducing. I also this his BTTF scores are very generic sounding and extremely overrated. My favorite of them is by far the third because of the western elements.

Yavar

From glancing this thread, I seem to be the only one who really like Silvestri's synth efforts, especially in the 80s. FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR is already on my Top 5, but I also dig OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE, THE DELTA FORCE, CRITICAL CONDITION, OVERBOARD, NO MERCY, AMERICAN ANTHEM etc.

Synclavier II for the win!

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They were never classics, imo.

I understand that argument for the sequels, even if I love them dearly.  But the first film is absolutely a cinematic classic at this point.  It's up there with Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, and Star Wars in the public imagination.