Jump to content

What is your biggest hope for TLJ's score?


Will
 Share

I'm most looking forward to...  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. What are you most looking forward to/hoping for about TLJ's score?

    • Visceral, streamlined action writing (along the lines of "No Man's Land" and "I Can Fly Anything")
    • Complex, "crazy" action writing (like "The Falcon")
    • New variations of "Rey's Theme"
    • More uses of "The Jedi Steps" theme
    • A new major theme for the First Order
    • The Ahch-To material (possibly mystical or religioso)
    • EPIC CHOIR!!!!!
    • The source music for the casino
    • Emotional writing in the third act
    • Other (please specify!)
    • New variations of themes from the OT
    • A new love theme
      0


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

More Jedi Steps.  I truly hope he intended that as a leitmotif, and not just a scene theme.

I guess a director could ask for him to expand it in the sequel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My biggest hope is that it will be the last Star Wars score John Williams composes so that we could hear him in something new.

8 Star Wars scores are enough musically speaking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Him scoring or not scoring Episode 9 will have no impact on him taking or not taking some other film project instead

 

He only scores Star Wars films, and Spielberg films, now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

He only scores Star Wars films, and Spielberg films, now.

 

Right.

 

I know he himself isn't the biggest fan of the Star Wars films: he often said he doesn't watch them outside of the scoring stage, and described some of his scoring choices as "tongue-in-cheek." He probably enjoys more realistic films.

 

But I do think that he acknowledges that Star Wars is his magnum opus on the level of the thematic construction (fifty leitmotives and more still to go!), simply because its by and far the most enduring series of films he ever scored. I think that's why he keeps on doing them.

 

I would want him to score the ninth entry. Closure in important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, filmmusic said:

My biggest hope is that it will be the last Star Wars score John Williams composes so that we could hear him in something new.

8 Star Wars scores are enough musically speaking.

 

I understand the reasoning beyond this, but honestly, for me it would just feel wrong if someone else wrote the music for the last chapter of the new trilogy. It would feel as something not coming to a right conclusion. Beside this, I am not sure that he could (or would like to) do something radically new nowadays and at his age, that would also be better than a good SW score.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think if I have one specific hope for improvement on TFA, it would just be less brooding dark side material. I don't want more droning choir for Snoke's scenes, or more low muted brass chords for Kylo's turmoil. It'd be cool for the film and score to get a little more aggressive in its evil. I like that shot toward the end of the trailer of Rey being tortured, screaming her head off....I try not to imagine specifics too much because for all I know they could do that with the sound dramatically cut out and some sound-designy rumblings, but it is Star Wars. You'd think that'd be a perfect opportunity for John Williams to give 110%.

 

It'd be nice for the score to get a little more eclectic too. TFA probably feels the least like a wild stylistic collage of the seven. I like the idea of so many characters running around different locations potentially lending itself to more musical variety this time. I don't really mind if it's scatter-brained so long as it's entertaining. 

Well, Williams did write some kick-ass music for the Starkiller speech that was not used.  some of it, though, is Williams/film-makers missing the point.  The destruction of planets should not have been scored as a sad tragedy.  It is a big cool explosion, like with a ANH, in a popcorn movie.  If you actual want us to take the killing of billions/trillions seriously, you are no longer entertaining us in a way that makes sense in the SW saga.  At most, we care about the individual lives of the main characters in such a way, but even that pushes things ala Anakin and the death of Solo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Well, Williams did write some kick-ass music for the Starkiller speech that was not used.  some of it, though, is Williams/film-makers missing the point.  The destruction of planets should not have been scored as a sad tragedy.  It is a big cool explosion, like with a ANH, in a popcorn movie.  If you actual want us to take the killing of billions/trillions seriously, you are no longer entertaining us in a way that makes sense in the SW saga. 

This is not the Prequel Trilogy! The humanistic authenticity is strong enough for such depictions in this film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

It'd be nice for the score to get a little more eclectic too. TFA probably feels the least like a wild stylistic collage of the seven. I like the idea of so many characters running around different locations potentially lending itself to more musical variety this time.

 

I'm not quite sure what that entails. It can't be that each storyline would have a different musical style altogether, with the exception of the diegetic music on Canto Bight. Otherwise, it's all going to be in the neo-romantic style of the rest of the Star Wars saga. I don't ever see him return to the oratorio style of the prequels, so that's not an option, either. Its also not Williams' style to go wild with unusual instrumental choices, so that's not really on the table.

 

If anything, when scoring these none-linear Middle chapters, Williams' approach has always been to make the score even more single minded in order to provide cohesion. In Empire Strikes Back, each storyline has its own theme, but the score as a whole is dominated by the Imperial March. The same is true of Attack of the Clones with the Love theme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

At least one big "wow" moment in film. TFA had a couple (the end of The Abduction, the Force theme statement from The Journey Home) but many other great musical moments were undone by a low mix or choppy editing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Ironically we'll have almost no idea if they track unused TFA music into TLJ.

 

I'm hoping that's not true!  Given how smoothly the production went, it doesn't seem like they would need to track music from TFA (or even from TLJ!) when Williams was available to record everything needed.  Wishful thinking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

 

I'm hoping that's not true!  Given how smoothly the production went, it doesn't seem like they would need to track music from TFA (or even from TLJ!) when Williams was available to record everything needed.  Wishful thinking.

We'll have to see. There wasn't any indication before TFA that rewrites were happening, was there? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

We'll have to see. There wasn't any indication before TFA that rewrites were happening, was there? 

 

I really don't remember when we found out TFA sessions were still happening so close to release.  TLJ has been in the can for many months now.  However, TLJ sessions started earlier than TFA so there could be rewrites we don't know about yet.  Well, we actually don't know much about the TLJ sessions period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.