Which are your Top 5 Danny Elfman scores?

Josh500

Again, I don't know enough of his scores to make a Top 5. For some reason I've never really liked Elfman... Not necessarily his music (or just his music), but the guy. He strikes me as a rather arrogant guy with a mediocre talent, but full of himself. But then, I'm probably wrong on this. It's just some interview with him that I saw once that made me think this way.

Anyways, I am happy to be proven wrong! So far I have only 5 Elfman scores.

Batman, Batman Returns, Edward the Scissorhands, Charlie and Chocolate Factory, and Mission Impossible! 

What else are Danny Elfman must-haves!? 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

1 Batman

2 Mission: Impossible

3 Batman Returns

4 Edward Scissorhands

5 Mars Attacks!

6 The Nightmare Before Christmas

Wow, I have only 6 Elfman scores, but I already own your Top 4! :D

How many Danny Elfman albums do you own, @Jay? Are you collecting his scores?

Anybody knows some of his more obscure works like Dolores Claibourne and Good Will Hunting? 

1. Edward Scissorhands

2. Pee-wee's Big Adventure

3. Big Fish

4. Batman Returns

5. Sleepy Hollow

6. Sommersby

7. Mission: Impossible

8. Spider-Man

9. Mars Attacks

10. Black Beauty

EDIT: On reflection I edited mine to move Big Fish up to 3.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

How many Danny Elfman albums do you own, @Jay?

I have no idea, I don't keep records of my collection or anything.  Probably 30 or more?

Are you collecting his scores?

Not all of them, most of his output after the 90s is forgettable

Anybody has some of his more obscure works like Dolores Claibourne and Good Will Hunting? 

Both are nice scores

Good Will Hunting was officially released finally a few years back

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/60-good-will-hunting.html

Danny Elfman's most beloved, celebrated, and well-known piece is arguably this, though. And I gotta admit, it's pure genius! The melody, the orchestration, the pace, the impact. You never get tired listening to it! 

My top 5 would mirror the above pretty much (with some minor placement alterations), so I decided to list some of my favorites after 1996 (maybe the end of Elfman's most popular period).

The Family Man

Big Fish

Spider-man

Standard Operating Procedure

Silver Linings Playbook

The Unknown Known

The Circle

Lately, his smaller or more playful stuff has been better than his Big Stuff.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

The Circle

I like this OST and have listened to it a couple of times, but definitely mostly for its novelty.  It's so weird!

If you go by most listened on Spotify/Google of course you'd think that 50 Shades of Grey is his masterwork :P 

I've only listened to The Circle twice now, so I don't know how it will stand up among his entire canon in the long run.  Right now, though, I really enjoy it and think it's worth being at the bottom of my tops.

I'm an Elfman completist, minus only two official releases - the Black Beauty OST, which was too expensive pre-expansion, and the Nacho Libre soundtrack which only has one track.  I'll probably pick up both eventually.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

If you go by most listened on Spotify/Google of course you'd think that 50 Shades of Grey is his masterwork :P 

50 Shades of Grey is a decent score, Girl on the Train too

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm an Elfman completist, 

So how many Elfman albums do you own approximately? 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

50 Shades of Grey is a decent score, Girl on the Train too

What about the movie Grey? Did you like to movie too, Jay? :D

Alice in Wonderland is a very good score, but Alice Through The Looking Glass is better

His Terminator score is forgettable

His POTA score is fun, but don't bother comparing it to Goldsmith's ; completely different scores for completely different movies.  And the film isn't a remake of the original film, its a completely different story that just uses the same concept of talking and civilized apes.

48 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Again, I don't know enough of his scores to make a Top 5. For some reason I've never really liked Elfman... Not necessarily his music (or just his music), but the guy. He strikes me as a rather arrogant guy with a mediocre talent, but full of himself. But then, I'm probably wrong on this. It's just some interview with him that I saw once that made me think this way.

Quite the contrary, he's probably the most self-critical composer out there! Perhaps even too much on occasion. He's sometimes awkward in social situations or among fans (he doesn't like attention drawn towards himself), but he was in a great mood last week.

My Top 5 at the moment:

1. THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

2. Edward Scissorhands

3. Sommersby/Black Beauty

4. Standard Operating Procedure/The Unknown Known

5. Wisdom

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Alice in Wonderland is a very good score, but Alice Through The Looking Glass is better

I thought LOOKING GLASS was a dreadful score (except when it quoted WONDERLAND). ALICE IN WONDERLAND, however, is a wonderful score -- one of his best in the last 10 years.

PLANET OF THE APES is brilliant; a must-have even, but it's pretty dense, percussion-wise.

TERMINATOR is OK, but not one I play very often.

11 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So how many Elfman albums do you own approximately? 

Just did a quick count, which may be a little off:

73 OST/original score albums

11 label expansions

2 "Music for a Darkened Theater" compilations

1 Silva Elfman rerecording complilation, 1 Silva Tim Burton rerecording compilation, plus various rerecorded tracks scattered on other releases

4 score albums with only minor contribution by Elfman (Spy Kids, 9, Army of Darkness, Before I Wake) 

10 song albums with one or two score tracks

1 giant box full of 17 Elfman/Burton expansion CDs, a DVD, a book, and dumb toys

So all-in-all, approx. 119 CDs

I was once a maniacal Elfman collector (many of us probably were at some point), but sometime in the late 2000s, I lost faith in him and suddenly found his name was no longer synonymous with high quality works of breathtaking beauty and imagination, and instead they were bland and generic works that followed a template.

Nowadays, I barely blink when I see his name associated with a film.

I'm with Thor here -- I always found Danny Elfman to come off as a very nice, humble guy in interviews (most recently I saw and enjoyed his interview in the documentary The Score). I wonder what interview it was that you saw and were turned off by, Josh.

My top 5:

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas -- his magnum opus, indisputably

2. Black Beauty -- for me this is practically tied with Nightmare; in fact I probably listen to it more because it is just. that. gorgeous. I'm amazed nobody else rates it as highly. The OST was OOP and rare for many years but luckily LLL expanded it.

3. Sommersby -- also gorgeous

4. Batman Returns -- for me, an overall superior and more developed work to the first score (which I do like as well), but this was only revealed by the complete release.

5. Alice in Wonderland -- for me it is absolutely his best of the past 10 years, and sadly can only really be appreciated on that level in complete form.

Honorable mentions: Beetlejuice (just delightful and perfect for the film), Dolores Claiborne (more dark melancholy beauty), Big Fish (maybe my second favorite post-90s Elfman). I do also really like his two Spider-man scores. Good Will Hunting is better in the film than on album, IMO. Oh, and I actually really like his Planet of the Apes score! It's very unique sounding and for modern Hollywood, still pretty surprising (something like Goldsmith's would never get approved nowadays).

Yavar

21 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Just did a quick count, which may be a little off:

73 OST/original score albums

11 label expansions

2 "Music for a Darkened Theater" compilations

1 Silva Elfman rerecording complilation, 1 Silva Tim Burton rerecording compilation, plus various rerecorded tracks scattered on other releases

4 score albums with only minor contribution by Elfman (Spy Kids, 9, Army of Darkness, Before I Wake) 

10 song albums with one or two score tracks

1 giant box full of 17 Elfman/Burton expansion CDs, a DVD, a book, and dumb toys

So all-in-all, approx. 119 CDs

Wow, that's some collection! 

So you own pretty much every single Danny Elfman OST album?

Quite impressive. 

17 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

synonymous with high quality works of breathtaking beauty and imagination

For me, the overall works of only two film composers (so far) fit this description.

One is John Williams, the other is Jerry Goldsmith. 

I'm trying to find a third. And no, it's not James Horner (although he comes close)....

I also have every single thing he's ever done that is available in some format or another (and also some which are not). Film scores, concert works, Boingo, you name it. Except for a few of the most recent scores that I only have digitally, not on CD yet.

23 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Wow, that's some collection! 

So you own pretty much every single Danny Elfman OST album?

Quite impressive. 

For me, the overall works of only two film composers (so far) fit this description.

One is John Williams, the other is Jerry Goldsmith. 

I'm trying to find a third. And no, it's not James Horner (although he comes close)....

Every OST except for Black Beauty (I own the expansion, but I'll probably go back and get it if it's cheap enough)

Every minor release except for Nacho Libre (one track) and the song album for Taking Woodstock (which has four tracks, all of which are on LLL's OST album).  I plan on getting both eventually.

Apparently there's also a digital-only release of one track from "When We Rise," which I didn't own until I found out about it today, and then I bought it.

58 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I'm with Thor here -- I always found Danny Elfman to come off as a very nice, humble guy in interviews (most recently I saw and enjoyed his interview in the documentary The Score). I wonder what interview it was that you saw and were turned off by, Josh.

My top 5:

1. The Nightmare Before Christmas -- his magnum opus, indisputably

2. Black Beauty -- for me this is practically tied with Nightmare; in fact I probably listen to it more because it is just. that. gorgeous. I'm amazed nobody else rates it as highly. The OST was OOP and rare for many years but luckily LLL expanded it.

3. Sommersby -- also gorgeous

4. Batman Returns -- for me, an overall superior and more developed work to the first score (which I do like as well), but this was only revealed by the complete release.

5. Alice in Wonderland -- for me it is absolutely his best of the past 10 years, and sadly can only really be appreciated on that level in complete form.

Honorable mentions: Beetlejuice (just delightful and perfect for the film), Dolores Claiborne (more dark melancholy beauty), Big Fish (maybe my second favorite post-90s Elfman). I do also really like his two Spider-man scores. Good Will Hunting is better in the film than on album, IMO. Oh, and I actually really like his Planet of the Apes score! It's very unique sounding and for modern Hollywood, still pretty surprising (something like Goldsmith's would never get approved nowadays).

Yavar

I like this list a lot.  Sommersby and Black Beauty don’t get enough attention.  They are easily among his best works.

1. Batman (89 & 92)

2. Nightmare Before The Christmas

3. Nightbreed

4. Beetlejuice

5. Black Beauty

Honorable mentions: Spider Man (1 & 2), Hellboy, Edward S., Darkman and Sommersby. 

I rarely listen to film scores when I'm mowing the lawn, unless I have something new I'm dying to listen to.  Mainly listen to one of the two podcasts I listen to, or pop music.

It's rather disappointing that nobody mentioned one of Elfman's best scores: Men in Black! I love this opening scene... The flight of the winged bug is scored to perfection!

By the way, I wonder whether 2:02 was a not so subtle nod at Spielberg's ET.... :)

1. Batman Returns

2. Sommersby

3. Mission: Impossible

4. Standard Operating Procedure

5. Milk

It is important to add that some of my favourite works of his are not film scores so can't be featured here.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

It is important to add that some of my favourite works of his are not film scores so can't be featured here.

Karol

Indeed.  "Rabbit & Rogue" has definitely taken a place among my favorites of his.

I do like Men in Black (all three) and Pee Wee (both) but not quite top 5 level, IMHO. Another one like that is Edward Scissorhands, which used to be an absolute favorite (and is still an iconic Elfman score) but I found it didn't quite have the staying power with me over the years as other gorgeous works of his (Black Beauty and Sommersby) did. Easier to get burnt out on that score, for me. Haven't tried the expanded Intrada yet, though.

His Fifty Shades scores are also unexpectedly good work. I pretend they are music for movies that don't exist...

Yavar