Which are your Top 5 Superhero films and scores?

Josh500

The "superhero movies can't be serious" shit is as dumb as the opposing view.  They can be both. 

I prefer them serious, though, because I like coming out of the theater feeling stirred and moved in a way that seems to relate to the real world, as though the archetypal goodness just witnessed were something that could truly happen.  This is why the Nolan films resonate so strongly.  They deliver something like real hope.  

The Avengers is the other end of things.  It's escapism, and there's nothing wrong with that.  But it's less fulfilling for me. 

Scores

1. Superman - John Williams
2. Batman - Danny Elfman
3. The Incredibles - Michael Giacchino
4. The Rocketeer - James Horner
5. Spider-man - Danny Eflman
6. The Amazing Spider-man - James Horner
7. The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

8. Supergirl - Jerry Goldsmith

9. The Punisher - Carlo Siliotto
10. Avengers: Age of Ultron - Danny Elfman 

11. Captain America - Alan Silvestri

12. Thor - Patrick Doyle
13. Thor: The Dark World - Brian Tyler
14. Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

15. X-Men Apocalypse - John Ottoman

I am not mentioning scores with repeated primary themes. I might add Goldenthal's work for Batman but I am not sufficiently familiar with the scores. 

As my criteria, I picked scores with strong themes for the superhero which I think is an important requirement for a good superhero score.

14 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

The "superhero movies can't be serious" shit is as dumb as the opposing view.  They can be both. 

I prefer them serious, though, because I like coming out of the theater feeling stirred and moved in a way that seems to relate to the real world, as though the archetypal goodness just witnessed were something that could truly happen.

Well said.

And it's true of other genres, as well. I think it's the underlying reason for why people like and/or find Empire Strikes Back the best of the Star Wars films: Its the most serious of them that's also well made. 

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are basically no superhero movies, that's why I like them the most. It's a kind of drama + character study + philosophy + terrorist thriller in customs. Batman Begins is however a standard superhero flick and you can feel how Nolan wanted it to be more, but he didn't dare at that time. It's his worst film whereas its sequel is his best. The only reason therefore is that he transgressed the rules of that rather trivial genre.

There's actually a truth to that. Batman Begins takes over an hour to show us Batman, as does Dark Knight Rises. They way I explain these films to others is as dramas about a guy called Bruce Wayne, who simply happens to dress up and fight crime.

I find it untrue in regards of the Dark Knight. That's much more of a superhero film, crossed with a crime drama.

12 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'd venture to say that Burton's Batman movies are superior to Nolan's Batman is every way, movie and score.

That said, both sets of movies are fantastic, of course, I'm not saying Nolan's trilogy is terrible.

Danny Elfman did something fantastic with Batman. His dark rich textures certainly won me over, brooding, mesmerizing, completely love it

Telarc version is my fav based on dynamics, it really is something to behold

https://www.discogs.com/Erich-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Pops-Orchestra-Fantastic-Journey/release/2879924

15 minutes of Batman Telarc treatment here, rest of the CD is good too

My 5 super hero movies (not all super heroes)

Escape From New York

Flash Gordon

Superman II

Batman (Elfman)

Terminator (because I can't think of a 5th)

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

There's actually a truth to that. Batman Begins takes over an hour to show us Batman, as does Dark Knight Rises. They way I explain these films to others is as dramas about a guy called Bruce Wayne, who simply happens to dress up and fight crime.

I find it untrue in regards of the Dark Knight. That's much more of a superhero film, crossed with a crime drama.

Agree on the first paragraph, disagree on the second.

The Dark Knight is much less a film of this genre than any other film. Much more complex, much more realistic, much more political, much more down-to-earth and therefore much more threatening.