John Williams returns to San Diego - January 31, 2018

Ricard

Really exciting news about the newly revised  'Han Solo and the Princess' concert piece. I hope we can see it get recorded in some way in the coming years. 

In the meantime keep your eyes open incase  if anyone did record this performance and put it online. 

Maybe it was recorded during the TLJ sessions but unused and unreleased. There's been no real indication of what comprises that that ~45 minutes of unheard score.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:18 PM, KingPin said:

Nimbus 2000 for woodwinds was next. Williams’ old age started to show here, as he described the piece as characterizing Harry’s wand rather than his broomstick, and then immediately stated that he couldn’t remember what the wand (broomstick) was called in the film, even though it’s literally the title of the piece! Regardless of his little memory lapse, the piece was played quite well.

Oh my.....

There were two encores. The first was the new arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess, which was completely unexpected but a pleasant surprise all the same. Although Williams never specifically alluded to it, I couldn’t help wondering whether revisiting this piece had something to do with the upcoming Han Solo standalone film. As stated previously, this piece bears hardly any resemblance to the original concert version. The original version is more horn and woodwind prominent until the piece hits the climax, whereas this new version very much features the strings section throughout. The cellos are given the theme first, and the theme itself has been heavily modified and developed by Williams. The violins work through some thematic variation, and then the woodwinds take over the theme. The piece continues to build to the climax, at which point it leads into the version heard at the end of the end credits of Empire Strikes Back, which I think may be the only time in the piece that the theme is heard in its original unadulterated form. As the climax dies down, it leads into a sweet and delicate solo flute cadenza that was another variation of the melody before coming to a gentle close (again, more flute being featured throughout the evening). I sort of view Williams' approach to this new piece as a combination of the Marion’s Theme concert version and the revised concert version of The Face of Pan: prominently modified from the original concert version, but still with sweeping orchestration that is characteristic of Williams’ current lyrical style.

HOLY COW.... that sounds incredible.  We need this!!

On 2/1/2018 at 5:18 PM, KingPin said:

Williams’ old age started to show here, as he described the piece as characterizing Harry’s wand rather than his broomstick, and then immediately stated that he couldn’t remember what the wand (broomstick) was called in the film, even though it’s literally the title of the piece!

Ridiculous!  Everybody knows Harry's wand is called Harry Jr

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see how that rules out the possibility that Gerhardt wrote the arrangement when he was preparing his Empire album, before the suite was released, and then JW approved it and included it in the suite.

The manuscript does not lie. It was written by Williams, and orchestrated by Herbert Spencer. Just as the whole rental suite from TESB. 

1 minute ago, Score said:

The manuscript does not lie. It was written by Williams, and orchestrated by Herbert Spencer. Just as the whole rental suite from TESB. 

We've already cleared this up. Read the previous posts.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:18 AM, KingPin said:

Nimbus 2000 for woodwinds was next. Williams’ old age started to show here, as he described the piece as characterizing Harry’s wand rather than his broomstick, and then immediately stated that he couldn’t remember what the wand (broomstick) was called in the film, even though it’s literally the title of the piece! Regardless of his little memory lapse, the piece was played quite well.

... and then we keep wondering and debating whether a theme was meant to represent Han Solo alone, or his love story with the Princess :lol:

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

We've already cleared this up. Read the previous posts.

Ah, sorry, I had missed it.

8 hours ago, Amer said:

Really exciting news about the newly revised  'Han Solo and the Princess' concert piece. I hope we can see it get recorded in some way in the coming years. 

In the meantime keep your eyes open incase  if anyone did record this performance and put it online. 

We'll probably get a broadcast of that one when Williams conducts his annual Film Night concerts in Boston and Tanglewood...

Love the way he included Stargazers in a new suite for E.T. too

• Suite from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Three Million Light Years from Home; Stargazers; Adventures on Earth)

8 hours ago, Jay said:

HOLY COW.... that sounds incredible.  We need this!!

The new arrangement for Han Solo and The Princess... New material for Lights, Camera... Music! Vol. 2

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Love the way he included Stargazers in a new suite for E.T. too

• Suite from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Three Million Light Years from Home; Stargazers; Adventures on Earth)

The new arrangement for Han Solo and The Princess... New material for Lights, Camera... Music! Vol. 2

That suite of E.T. as been around since 2009. 

I'd be surprised if the whole thing wasn't recorded somewhere for a latter podcast. Isn't that pretty standard for a concert like this? We get all the Film Night and Tanglewood ones?

Film Night is broadcast as part of the Tanglewood season. In 2015, it wasn't even broadcast.

The San Diego Symphony has some concerts broadcast at KPBS, but right now there is no schedule for future broadcasts. A few years ago, Williams conducted there, with Johannes Moser performing his Cello Concerto, along with the usual film selections, but that one was never broadcast.

8 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

That suite of E.T. as been around since 2009. 

Time passes so fast! ;)

I tried it in a playlist today witht the studio versions and it works perfectly too!

• Three Million Light Years from Home (Remastered OST)
  • Stargazers (by Lockhart)
  • Adventures on Earth (Spielberg/Williams)

22 minutes ago, Paul red5 said:

Hi I'm a newbie here but have been reading the posts for a long time now.I was at Star Wars in concert last night in Glasgow Scotland and they also played the new version of Han and the princess, which I managed to record on my phone I'm affraid to say I did sob a little, I'll try and post it if that is permitted, it's a wav file I'll try and convert to MP3 

cheers Paul 

It is. It was a concert which you paid to attend and are at full liberty to record bits of on your phone and Post online as per fair usage policy rules.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:42 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see how that rules out the possibility that Gerhardt wrote the arrangement when he was preparing his Empire album, before the suite was released, and then JW approved it and included it in the suite.

Let it go . Williams wrote it. It says so in the liner notes of the Gerhardt c.d. and was performed the same way on 3 other c.d.'s

6 hours ago, king mark said:

Let it go . Williams wrote it. It says so in the liner notes of the Gerhardt c.d. and was performed the same way on 3 other c.d.'s

We've already cleared that up several days ago. :)

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

First thought - this is a new theme in a way. The main melody as we know it surfaces but a lot of the melodic lines are new even though they are spun off or derived from the existing classic melody.

Exactly my thought. It's partially like a variation on the original theme.

I think it's similar to the concert arrangement of Jedi Steps. The original melody and progression are in there but overall everything is complicated and the melody is given several new variations and new places to go.

The new arrangement is different and wonderful. But there is hardly anything present from Leia's Theme. Which makes me wonder if this newly revised piece is actually the NEW Han Solo movie theme we were told he was working on. 

If it is then... It could possibly be included as a standalone cue in the SOLO OST?? 

Given he's had no other writing duties (except The Post) since last June, It's possible he took the opportunity to write a suite of updated themes for the character, in light of his commitment to the new film.

I doubt this arrangement will play any part in the film itself but he probably thought this was his only chance to expand on the character's existing theme, seeing as he was already writing a new one.

The first was the new arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess, which was completely unexpected but a pleasant surprise all the same. Although Williams never specifically alluded to it, I couldn’t help wondering whether revisiting this piece had something to do with the upcoming Han Solo standalone film. As stated

ok  , some questions.

1) Was it known before that concert that Williams had revised the piece?

2)Did he speak or say anything before playing it  or did he just play it without warning?

3)Did he refer to it as a love theme or Han's Theme?

4)How does the Glasgow performance compare?

57 minutes ago, king mark said:

ok  , some questions.

2)Did he speak or say anything before playing it  or did he just play it without warning?

:lol:

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. 

57 minutes ago, king mark said:

ok  , some questions.

He introduced it as Han Solo and the Princess, but made no mention of the fact that it was completely reworked. He went into his anecdote about having originally written Leia’s Theme as a sort of love theme for Luke and Leia not having prior awareness that they would eventually be siblings. He then basically said that as the saga unfolded that the actual love theme was the one for Han and Leia (or something to that effect). The Glasgow performance was pretty spot on based on what I remember from the San Diego concert.

I do believe that it's unlikely that this is directly related to the Solo movie. Williams removed the older arrangement from his catalog of work a year or more ago, surely already intending to rework it to the now present form.

51 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Maybe this marks somewhat of a farewell to the theme since both characters are now dead (Well, Leia isn't officially gone, yet).  

I hate to break it to you, but Leia died a long time ago.  

7 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Maybe this marks somewhat of a farewell to the theme since both characters are now dead (Well, Leia isn't officially gone, yet).  There's really no reason for the theme to be used anymore going forward.

I can see one more appearance of Leia's theme, as her character will surely appear in some capacity (maybe just as a statue/memorial for her at Rey's new Jedi Academy). Maybe even in the final credits suite, ala ROTS. But yeah, probably not HS&TP... although I thought that after TFA so who knows!

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I can see one more appearance of Leia's theme, as her character will surely appear in some capacity (maybe just as a statue/memorial for her at Rey's new Jedi Academy). Maybe even in the final credits suite, ala ROTS. But yeah, probably not HS&TP... although I thought that after TFA so who knows!

It's a versatile theme. Soon JW will claim it was written for Harry Potter's wand.

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not to mention the Emperor's theme making an appearance!  All themes are fair game it seems.