The Lost World (complete)

The Prisoner of Azkaban (complete)

The Temple of Doom

Jurassic Park (complete)

Rosewood (complete)

The Last Crusade

Raiders of the Lost Ark

JFK

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence (complete)

Amistad (complete)

#11-20

The Philosopher's Stone (complete)

Empire of the Sun (complete)

Munich

The Witches of Eastwick

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Chamber of Secrets (complete)

War of the Worlds (complete)

Minority Report (complete)

Lincoln

#21-30

Hook (complete)

The Phantom Menace

Schindler's List (complete)

War Horse

Dracula (complete)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (complete)

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial (complete)

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

Born on the Fourth of July

#31-40

The Last Jedi

Seven Years in Tibet

Sleepers

Presumed Innocent (complete)

Nixon

Attack of the Clones

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The Rise of Skywalker

The Force Awakens

The Terminal

#41-50

Angela's Ashes

1941 (complete)

Saving Private Ryan (complete)

Jaws 2 (complete)

Home Alone (complete)

Jaws (complete)

Superman: The Movie (complete)

The Fury (complete)

Stepmom

The Adventures of Tintin

#51-60

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (complete)

Catch Me If You Can

The Book Thief

The Patriot

Sabrina (complete)

The River (complete)

Family Plot (complete)

The Missouri Breaks (complete)

The Post

Heartbeeps (complete)

#61-69

Stanley & Iris (complete)

Always (complete)

The Accidential Tourist

The BFG

Black Sunday (complete)

Monsignor (complete)

Far and Away (complete)

SpaceCamp (complete)

Midway (complete)

That's a lot of ranking! Not sure I have the time to make a similar list anytime soon, although it would be interesting at some point. Sorry to see you didn't care for THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST or MONSIGNOR; two wonderful scores, IMO. But kudos for having both A.I. and AMISTAD in the Top 10.

Brundflys list is shit total shit. The kind of shit that trump produces. Its so much shit the I applaud his efforts to stir the shit. 

Joe can you try to be nicer please?  Brundlefly is completely entitled to his own opinions.  Why not share your own list instead of attacking his?

7 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

No Jay. I attacked his list not him get a clue. I broke no rules. 

Er, I actually quite specifically said that you attacked his list, and not him personally.  See:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Joe can you try to be nicer please?  Brundlefly is completely entitled to his own opinions.  Why not share your own list instead of attacking his?

Also, I simply and kindly asked you to please by nicer, and did not accuse you of breaking forum rules. 

Ironically, you attacked me personally by telling me to get a clue. :P

A list like that deserves ridicule A comment like Jay's deserves a stern no like you tell your dog when she is bad.

37 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

A list like that deserves ridicule A comment like Jay's deserves a stern no like you tell your dog when she is bad.

Nobody's personal opinion on what their favorite scores are deserves ridicule, actually.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just like you are completely entitled to disagree with them.  You don't need to use the words you used to attack his choice, though; you can say that you disagree in a nicer way.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

That's a lot of ranking! Not sure I have the time to make a similar list anytime soon, although it would be interesting at some point. Sorry to see you didn't care for THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST or MONSIGNOR; two wonderful scores, IMO. But kudos for having both A.I. and AMISTAD in the Top 10.

I did this list in 20 minutes, it is as impulsively created as possible. Just start with Jaws go chronologically until The BFG. Always just ask yourself whether you like title C more than title B and less than title A and if that's true put it there. At the end you get one or another surprise, since you created the list quite subconsious.

7 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Brundflys list is shit total shit. The kind of shit that trump produces. Its so much shit the I applaud his efforts to stir the shit. 

Call me Seth. What does bother you the most?

I've mentioned many times that even though we are all hardcore (probably) JW fans, there is a lot of diversity of what we consider the best of the maestros output.

But that's the beauty of life, yes? : )

I took one look at this list and dismissed it right away since there are a lot of things I don't agree with. However, one is entitled to one's opinion.

But your top ten... really?? ; )

Ok, here it goes:

01. Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope

02. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

03. Schindler's List

04. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

05. Superman The Movie

06. Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

07. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

08. Jaws

09. Jurassic Park

10. Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

11. Hook

12. Born On The Fourth Of July

13. War Horse

14. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

15. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

16. Home Alone

17. Saving Private Ryan

18. Memoirs Of A Geisha

19. Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi

20. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

21. Empire Of The Sun

22. Far And Away

23. Seven Years In Tibet

24. Amistad

25. The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn

26. Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

27. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

28. Star Wars Episode III Revenge Of The Sith

29. JFK

30. Jaws 2

31. Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens

32. Angela's Ashes

33. Nixon

34. The Witches Of Eastwick

35. Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones

36. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets

37. Dracula

38. The Eiger Sanction

39. The Fury

40. Lincoln

41. The BFG

42. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

43. Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

44. The Accidental Tourist

45. Rosewood

46. The Patriot

47. Stanley And Iris

48. Home Alone 2: Lost In New York

49. Monsignor

50. Always

51. The Terminal

52. 1941

53. Sleepers

54. SpaceCamp

55. Munich

56. Family Plot

57. The River

58. War Of The Worlds

59. Presumed Innocent

60. Minority Report

61. Catch Me If You Can

62. Sabrina

63. Midway

64. The Book Thief

65. Black Sunday

66. Stepmom

67. Heartbeeps

68. The Missouri Breaks

I did not include Yes, Giorgio and Superman IV since Williams only contributed selections to these scores.

And yeah; I've never been a big fan of The Lost World...

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I've mentioned many times that even though we are all hardcore (probably) JW fans, there is a lot of diversity of what we consider the best of the maestros output.

But that's the beauty of life, yes? : )

I took one look at this list and dismissed it right away since there are a lot of things I don't agree with. However, one is entitled to one's opinion.

But your top ten... really?? ; )

My Top 10 is really not that typical. For the famous JW scores: Either I adore them or I never really got the hype. @Sandor made a really typical Top 10.

16 minutes ago, Sandor said:

And yeah; I've never been a big fan of The Lost World...

Nor a fan of JW's colder, darker, modern stuff, right? (Minority Report, War of the Worlds, Munich, Presumed Innocent, Sleepers)

@Brundlefly 70 % of your top ten is either Jurassic Park, Harry Potter or Indiana Jones...

TBH, at first glance I thought it was a very atypical top ten, but I guess there's a consistency of thematic ideas, even though I do not agree that a top 10 needs to rely so heavy on so few franchises. Furthermore, I would like to add that throwing in an odd ball or two (in your case three) should be considered mandatory from any super fan's perspective!

We might not agree in the end, but well done, mate.

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

@Brundlefly 70 % of your top ten is either Jurassic Park, Harry Potter or Indiana Jones...

TBH, at first glance I thought it was a very atypical top ten, but I guess there's a consistency of thematic ideas, even though I do not agree that a top 10 needs to rely so heavy on so few franchises. Furthermore, I would like to add that throwing in an odd ball or two (in your case three) should be considered mandatory from any super fan's perspective!

We might not agree in the end, but well done, mate.

I myself was surprised how important the Indy trilogy is to me, but that's it.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Out of interest, Brundlefly...why JAWS onwards?

The most "controversial" thing here should be #41-50 which is full of famous, beloved scores. Jaws, Home Alone and especially Superman were never among my favorites.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

To most people here, Williams' 17 years of active film scoring and 40-something feature film scores prior to JAWS basically don't exist! :)

But that's OK. It's an OK starting point. Ranking 42 years worth of film scores is ambitious enough in itself.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Initially misunderstood your question. Well, I barely know anything older than Jaws. Starting in 1975 is easier for most fans I think, because [what Thor said].

Jaws was the defining score which -after following it up with a string of equally classic scores- turned John Williams into a household name and arguably the most popular film composer of all time. 

Off the top of my head this would be a preliminary list of some of my all time favorites by Williams 

Superman

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Jaws

CE3K

E.T.

Raiders

The Lost World

Temple of Doom

Return Of Yhe Jedi 

Schindlers List

Harry Potter POA

Jaws 2

Home Alone 2

War Horse

A.I.

Memoirs Of A Geisha

Black Sunday

Dracula

Jurassic Park

Home Alone

Harry Potter SS

The Fury

The Cowboys

Born on the Fourth of July

The Towering Inferno

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Initially misunderstood your question. Well, I barely know anything older than Jaws. Starting in 1975 is easier for most fans I think, because [what Thor said].

But of course, now you've inspired me to do a ranking of his scores between 1958 and 1975! ;)

I wonder, are there any scores that you guys consider to be "irredeemable"? Looking at this list, I see certain scores and think "Yeah that one's definitely low on the list", but then I think: "Well, but it has this piece, and this one". For example, Jaws 2  is one of my least favorites, but then I think of "Finding the Orca", "Brody Misunderstood", or "The Catamaran Race", and say, "Man, there's some fine music in here!" The overall effect of the score taken as a whole, though, leaves a lesser impression on me than others, which is why I prefer a score like The Terminal over it--even though if I take it track by track I might find the "lesser" score to quantitatively have more highlights.

I wasn't commenting on a lack of decisiveness, I was hoping to spur a discussion on what kinds of elements lead someone to rank certain scores higher or lower than others. And also if there were scores John Williams has done that anyone considers unmitigated dumpster fires. :P

His best score is E.T. His most film-elevating score. His best are his 4 academy award winning scores plus Raiders, Sorcerer's Stone, Close Encounters, Empire Strikes Back, Hook and Reivers.  RU: AI & Jurrasic Park

Some of his earlier simpler scores reveal his gift for melody perhaps even better than his later busier much more elaborate works.

9 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Some of his earlier simpler scores reveal his gift for melody perhaps even better than his later busier much more elaborate works.

The Lionheart-Effect: the simpler, the better.

• 3 years later...

Need to update that list. War of the Worlds, Monsignor and The River are much higher now. There's more that I don't agree on any more.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Thor said:

I'm waiting...;)

He, he. So many titles, it would require so much time to organize it all, I never got around to it. Same with the 'composers I've met' thread. Perhaps I'll look into either of these two tonight, over a few drinks.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:40 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

The more intimately skilled with composition Williams became the more stodgy and boring his music got. This is why his earlier 70s-80s stuff is drastically more exciting than his post Schindler's era output. You can track Spielberg's career arc in almost exactly the same way, it's pretty striking. 

I also think the differences between analogue and digital play their part in the resonant effectiveness of Williams' sound. 

I wouldn't be able to create such a ranking. It would start with the trouble of defining the criteria of choice. Is it which score I like to listen to most, or which I find most interesting musically and which contains the best scoring ideas, or is it which score supports the film best? Or which score stand on its own best without the film?

Even with just these approaches I would end up with at least three different lists.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, Brundlefly said:

I did this list in 20 minutes, it is as impulsively created as possible. Just start with Jaws go chronologically until The BFG. Always just ask yourself whether you like title C more than title B and less than title A and if that's true put it there. At the end you get one or another surprise, since you created the list quite subconsious.

Call me Seth. What does bother you the most?

While this thread has been revived, I thought I'd take a whack at this impossible task by following this approach, and it actually wasn't as hard as I expected. Here's my resulting list, only covering scores that I'm decently familiar with:

1. Star Wars
  2. The Empire Strikes Back
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. Jurassic Park
  5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  8. The Phantom Menace
  9. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
  10. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  11. Jaws
  12. Return of the Jedi
  13. The Force Awakens
  14. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  15. Revenge of the Sith
  16. Attack of the Clones
  17. Lincoln
  18. Hook
  19. War Horse
  20. 1941
  21. The Cowboys
  22. Superman: The Movie
  23. Images
  24. Home Alone
  25. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  26. The Adventures of Tintin
  27. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  28. Saving Private Ryan
  29. Black Sunday
  30. Amistad
  31. Minority Report
  32. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  33. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  34. The Rise of Skywalker
  35. The Last Jedi
  36. Solo (theme, etc.)
  37. Memoirs of a Geisha
  38. Rosewood
  39. Dracula
  40. The BFG
  41. War of the Worlds
  42. The Poseidon Adventure
  43. The Towering Inferno
  44. Earthquake
  45. SpaceCamp
  46. Catch Me If You Can
  47. Empire of the Sun
  48. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
  49. Far and Away
  50. Jaws 2
  51. The Book Thief
  52. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (themes)
  53. Family Plot

Paradoxically, there are items lower on the list that make me go, "Wait, I like that one better than a score that's a ways above it!" And of course, the quality of any score is a very complicated consideration. But the overall shape of the list should be somewhat accurate to my current tastes. It's an interesting exercise, if nothing else.

I didn't get further than a top 20 ranking.

Anyway all of the before mentioned ones are brillant scores. 

Being a low number in a John Williams score ranking doesn't mean it's bad, it is just not considered as good as the higher ranks. So, these are my top 20.

The Empire Strikes Back
E.T.
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Witches of Eastwick
The Force Awakens
Minority Report
War Horse
The Phantom Menace
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Star Wars
Schindler's List
A.I.
Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dracula
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Attack of the Clones
War of the Worlds
Catch Me if You Can
Angela's Ashes

I was struggling with A.I. since watching the movie my impression was "Too much music" and "Less would have been more for the film", but the score is so beautiful and full of georgeous ideas. If A.I. was a silent movie the score probably would be perfect.

I did a "top 25"

I love most of his scores and it is very difficult to rank something like Star Wars against Accidental Tourist or Memoirs Of A Geisha, all 'perfect scores' but very different genres. That said here's my list:

1. Jaws 

2. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

3. Star Wars - A New Hope

4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

5. The Fury

6. Superman - The Movie

7. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

8. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer´s Stone

9. Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

10. Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back

11. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

12. Jaws 2

13. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

14. Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

15. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

16. Memoirs of a Geisha

17. Dracula

18. Star Wars - The Force Awakens

19. The Lost World

20. Schindler's List

21. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

22. Home Alone

23. The Accidental Tourist

24. Black Sunday

25. Jurassic Park

It's getting harder to make such lists. Obviously the stuff from the late 70's/early 80's is still tops but then he still writes themes that are among his best recently like Rise of Skywalker, Adventures of Han, Rebellion is Reborn and Galaxy's Edge

So I have a clear "top" list  and some I generally dislike but for the rest there's a lot of ties. Like is The Rise of Skywalker better than any of the Prequel scores...maybe. 

So top of the list:

Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith

Temple of Doom

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

Hook

Close Encounters

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Jurassic Park

Superman

Bottom of the list:

Rosewood

Minority Report

War of the Words

Saving Private Ryan

Presumed Innocent

Sleepers

Shit, I somehow missed Rosewood on mine. Added.

I should also say that from around #10-15 and above on my list, any one of those scores feels like #1 while I'm listening to it. Those are really, really hard to compare. And although I didn't plan it this way, it's really only the last 10-15 that I'm not so enthusiastic about. (Family Plot is at the very bottom because it actively annoys me sometimes, depending on my mood, which is too bad, because it's an interesting and unique score.)