Amazing Stories, 10 new episodes coming!!

Snowster

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

He hasn’t complained about Netflix or streaming per se. 

Hasn't Spielberg remarked previously that Netflix movies shouldn't count as movies?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Hasn't Spielberg remarked previously that Netflix movies shouldn't count as movies?

I'm not sure but I think he said that streaming movies should not go to the oscars but to the Emmy. And that's all if I remember. But I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

This is true. I'm surprised by the accusations of hypocrisy tbh.

You're surprised by anti-Spielberg sentiments on JWfan?

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

48 minutes ago, toothless said:

I'm not sure but I think he said that streaming movies should not go to the oscars but to the Emmy. And that's all if I remember. But I could be wrong.

Interesting how everyone has an opinion, but no one is exactly sure what was said.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

You're right, we sorta JWfanned his words.

Spielberg said he thinks Netflix is robbing people of the theatrical experience and therefore their movies should not be awarded with Oscars. He thinks new rules should be implemented requiring expansive theatrical distribution to qualify for a gold statue. 

In other words: Streaming = not legitimate

32 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Spielberg said he thinks Netflix is robbing people of the theatrical experience

When was the last time Spielberg went to see a movie in a genuine theatre? He watches movies on his yacht.

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

When was the last time Spielberg went to see a movie in a genuine theatre? He watches movies on his yacht.

Perhaps his yacht does have a genuine theatre. Size isn't all, you know. ;)

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Steven Spielberg doesn't need to go out. He has a massive cinema in his own house.

2 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

So does George Lucas.

George Lucas has a massive cinema in Steven Spielberg's house?

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Steven Spielberg doesn't need to go out. He has a massive cinema in his own house.

It's not so massive at all, Thor. Surely it doesn't substitute for "the theatrical experience"?!

WK-BB138_COV_SC_G_20120301144357.jpg

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not so massive at all, Thor. Surely it doesn't substitute for "the theatrical experience"?!

That's not his main screening room. Read an article a few years back where a proper, small cinema on the grounds of his property was described. No photos, though.

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Sorry, but that's not what Spielberg said. He never went against streaming or Netflix per se. Here's exactly what he said one year ago (from 4:25)

As you can see his thoughts are very specific and refer to a much larger context and the state of studio productions and the Hollywood industry in general, it's not like he has a personal agenda against Netflix or anything else (hey, his company even produced shows for Netflix such as Five Came Back and Haunting of Hill House). Yes, it's a strong opinion and of course it's debatable as every opinion, but this idea that Spielberg suddenly turned into an evil old fellow with an agenda against a specific studio (a company seen by many as the new church of quality entertainment) to protect a dying business model is frankly ridiculous.

I wish people (especially people working in the industry) would honestly stop to make judgement based on assumption read on other people's Twitter feeds. Read, research and then form your opinion and only after that you can go to your social media to spread your gospel.

Sorry but he literally says in that video that films with short theatrical distribution do not deserve Oscars and that the streaming model is a threat to cinema.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, and I agree with him. Streaming films should not be considered for Oscars or other motion picture awards.

Same. Netflix should release them in cinemas for a proper theatrical run if they want them to be considered for awards. 

Netflix's whole schtick with the original movies was hey, look, we have our own movies now and they star real actors. Ignore the fact that it's fucking terrible. I'd rather watch The BFG.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Sorry but he literally says in that video that films with short theatrical distribution do not deserve Oscars and that the streaming model is a threat to cinema.

Let it be a threat. The cinema he used to know is dead. He even complained how difficult it is to get a movie financed that is not about big action or superheroes.