Amazing Stories, 10 new episodes coming!!

Snowster

Nightmare was good, I loved the Joe Dante one too, can’t speak to the original version. 

Kick the Can kinda sucks and the music is kinda disappointing in it for how beautiful it is out of context. I love that theme.

I think they should remake some of the "lost" TZ episodes to capture some of that original magic.  Basically these were scripts or story outlines that Rod Serling did but were never filmed for various reasons.  There is something missing in each of the non-Serling TZ productions.  Also, there is enough material from ST TOS to film a whole seasons worth.  Check out these pitches: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series_episodes

At least some of them deserve to be developed/adapted in the modern shows.

• 9 months later...
54 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Nice to hear JW's theme. But why do I get the feeling this is going to be a bad show? It doesn't seem to have the same spirit as the original.

Let's face it, the original, while extremely well-scored by all involved, was a very middling show.  

If Steven Spielberg had directed an episode and the Maestro was involved and did the music like the original series, then I would consider a free trial subscription to Apple TV+ just to watch this. Seeing as how neither is the case here, I think I'll pass. At least the Maestro's theme is in the trailer.

43 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I remember it used to be between this and SeaQuest on a Sunday morning. So I'd go to church instead.

Funny thing; even though I should be smack in the target audience for this (I was 8 when the original series first aired), I can't remember it ever being on Norwegian TV; nor any of the international cable channels we had from the mid 80s onwards (Sky Channel, Super Channel etc.). It must have been there somewhere, but just passed me by. Obviously, I've seen a great deal of the episodes in later years, but there isn't much in terms of nostalgia value here.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to this reboot. I've come to enjoy anthology shows more in recent years.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't have time to watch TV.

Perhaps they can podcast the new show for your listening pleasure so you can enjoy it while doing other things.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't worry, guys, the new episodes will be scored by an all star selection of TV composers: Jeff Russo, Ramin Djawadi, Sean Callery, Blake Neely...

That would be cool, actually. But even more cool if it was an all-star selection of film composers like the original.

On 4/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, Tom said:

It is Spielberg in his most unrestrained sentimental mode.  As a kid, I liked it because it had Benson in it.  Watch the whole movie--all of the stories have their merits, but I think that all but Nightmare fall short of the original versions. 

Benson? As in Robert Guillaume? Guillaume isn’t in “Kick the Can”. That’s Scatman Crothers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 2:16 AM, thx99 said:

Benson? As in Robert Guillaume? Guillaume isn’t in “Kick the Can”. That’s Scatman Crothers.

Indeed. Dick Halloran himself!

Just saw the first episode. Pretty shoddy, to be honest, and full of holes. If the woman's child is supposed to be the traveler's, when exactly did they have sex? And prohibition had barely started in 1919, if at all. And what's with the year 2034? If she came to 2019, that's still 15 more years and the child was 5. Confusing stuff, and as said above -- hopefully subsequent episodes are better. At least it was very much in the style of the original show.

Nicholas Pike's music was fine, though. Good to see Pike back on the scene again. And the theme sounded exactly like the original. I doubt it's a new recording.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How many episodes of the old series did JW score? I know about The Mission and The Train. Were there more?

No.

All those little snippets of music (normally no longer than ten seconds) that appear in publicity pieces, or things such as: "We now return you to Amazing Stories". That sort of thing. There's quite a few of them on the Vol. 1 CD.

AFAIK, "idents" are usually bits associated with 'identification' of the channel itself, while 'bumpers' are basically intros and outros of the show in question.

OK, second episode was much better. Except for the non-sensical, cop-out ending, it was a sweet melodrama molded on Spielberg's ALWAYS (or A GUY NAMED JOE, or any other film or TV show about 'limbo afterlife'). I was actually moved. Fine score too, kinda Max Richter-ish. Very unusual from Ramin Djawadi (in collaboration with someone named Brandon Campbell, with whom I'm not familiar).

18 minutes ago, Gustavo Joseph said:

Saw episodes 1 and 2, the plots felt so old. Even the new opening credits looks kind of odd with that great theme (one of my favorites). 

You should have seen those plots when they were young--they were amazing.  

On 3/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, Tom said:

You should have seen those plots when they were young--they were amazing.  

hahahaha sorry about eventual english cacophony, it's not my first language, but I bet these "new"Amazing Stories plots felt unoriginal even for the original run of the Twilight Zone