Amazing Stories, 10 new episodes coming!!

Snowster

On 3/7/2020 at 10:52 PM, Thor said:

Just saw the first episode. Pretty shoddy, to be honest, and full of holes. If the woman's child is supposed to be the traveler's, when exactly did they have sex? And prohibition had barely started in 1919, if at all. And what's with the year 2034? If she came to 2019, that's still 15 more years and the child was 5. Confusing stuff, and as said above -- hopefully subsequent episodes are better. At least it was very much in the style of the original show.

Nicholas Pike's music was fine, though. Good to see Pike back on the scene again. And the theme sounded exactly like the original. I doubt it's a new recording.

Saw yesterday the First episode and liked it. Kind of oldfashioned, when not everything had to be drab and dark and depressive. As i understand it, the child is NOT the travelers, but she named it after him, remembering. The scene in 2034 shows, that she started a successful life in the present time, with a career as a singer, and a family (I suppose, a father is somewhere, just not in the scene). I was reminded of the science fiction novel „Time and again“ by Jack Finney, which I like very much

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

Saw yesterday the First episode and liked it. Kind of oldfashioned, when not everything had to be drab and dark and depressive. As i understand it, the child is NOT the travelers, but she named it after him, remembering. The scene in 2034 shows, that she started a successful life in the present time, with a career as a singer, and a family (I suppose, a father is somewhere, just not in the scene). I was reminded of the science fiction novel „Time and again“ by Jack Finney, which I like very much

Yeah, I agree that the kid is meant to be named for Sam, not his son. As you note, the year indicates that.

Was lovely to hear the remastered JW theme though. Shame he won't be doing any episodes, but based on the ratings and reviews, I am not sure we will get more than 1 season (all of 5 episodes). (Apple may have already renewed it but not based on airing but just to have content.) At least from the first episode, I feel the same way I do about the new Twilight Zone. Enjoyable for what it is. Nice fodder for plane flights since you can download to iPads etc. Very small screen.

Vanity Fair had this to say in Chris Nashawaty's review:

You can’t fault the new Amazing Stories for holding onto John Williams’ rousing opening theme. Like everything else Williams was cranking out during the Reagan years, it’s a killer. But this time around, its call-to-adventure rings like a false alarm.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/03/apple-tv-plus-amazing-stories-review

As for "Time and Again," that is one of my favorite books. (There is a sequel, "From Time to Time," but it is not as good.) Stephen King's "1963" pays homage to this book as well. (He is very explicit about that in the afterword.) "1963" is recommended for fans of the Finney, and I enjoyed the miniseries on Hulu as well. 

2 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, I suppose. But the second episode was better regardless.

I agree with the Variety writer above that the theme is rather anachronistic and 'false' compared to the actual show you're getting (at least so far), but damn -- it's great to hear such a fullbodied, long, old-school theme in contemporary TV.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

But damn -- it's great to hear such a fullbodied, long, old-school theme in contemporary TV.

I feel this way about Lost In Space, which my wife and I are finally watching the 2nd season. Not only the JW theme in the titles but also when it shows up in the background music, and in general on how the entire show is scored. At least in LiS, it feels "right" to the story and setting.

17 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I feel this way about Lost In Space, which my wife and I are finally watching the 2nd season. Not only the JW theme in the titles but also when it shows up in the background music, and in general on how the entire show is scored. At least in LiS, it feels "right" to the story and setting.

Yeah, it's nice. On first glance, it isn't a theme that would fit well with the new LiS show (it's rather jazzy and campy and 60s in its structure and melodic line), but Lennertz has managed to arrange it in a way that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth episode was kinda neat too -- a kind of cross between COCOON and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. And directed by veteran Michael Dinner of HEAVEN HELP US, OFF BEAT and HOT TO TROT "fame" (first two with Horner scores, third with a fun Elfman score that has yet to be released -- outside a single track on the MFADT compilation). Plus a whole bunch of TV.

The episode also had a nice, moody score by Harry Gregson-Williams -- a composer I used to dislike, but now have come to appreciate.

• 4 weeks later...

The series seems to have stopped on 5 episodes. Are the remaining 5 put on hold due to the virus, or did they only produce 5 to begin with? Does anyone know?

AMAZING STORIES (APPLE TV PLUS)
BROADCAST HISTORY:
3/6/20 - ???
on hiatus or fate to be determined
TIME SLOT:
completed airing its current season
CURRENT SEASON:
1 (5 episodes)
VISIT THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE
ADDITIONAL NOTES:
completed airing its first season on 4/3/20; has yet to be renewed for a second season

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/amazing-stories/

• 5 months later...

I love the idea of revisiting decade old recordings and creating Dolby Atmos mixes from the multitrack masters.

Such a fascinating concept, a way to breathe new life into vintage recordings that the recordist and composer would never have imagined. Makes me wonder about the future of commercial music, decades from now. What do JW expansions look like in 20-30 years, after Mike's finished remastering his filmography for stereo CDs? Will it be similar to films being re-released in higher resolution formats, with newly enhanced sound mixes like Atmos?

• 1 year later...

Just watched fifteen minutes of episode one.

Meh....

Does every original series on APPLE look like it

was shot on video?

This and PREHISTORIC PLANET both have that 'live' look even with the dreaded DNR setting turned off😰😵

On 17/02/2020 at 12:20 PM, Tydirium said:

Nice to hear JW's theme. But why do I get the feeling this is going to be a bad show? It doesn't seem to have the same spirit as the original.

The original was pretty mediocre also