Jump to content

Harry Potter 1-5 Vinyl OSTs coming in November


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Six is forgettable, but five has Fireworks, one of my favourite HP tracks.

coz ze ozer onez sux lulz

These vinyl reissues of the OSTs would have no impact on a specialty label's ability to release expanded versions on CD, had they already been granted a license to begin with

"One song that debuted on the Philosopher's Stone soundtrack -- "Hedwig's Theme" -- became the main musical theme for the series and appears in all of the Harry Potter films."

 

*smashes head against table*

 

Does this set lessen our chances of getting a complete release in the near future?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Does 7 have vinyl? I thought they only did that stupid 45rpm thing with two 'songs' that came with te limited edition?

 

The picture disc came with the limited edition, yes. 

 

About 2 years ago or so 7 and 8 got vinyl releases. I have 7. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

But then if the reason 7 and 8 weren't included on this set is because they already had vinyl releases, what about 6? That one didn't get a vinyl release, as far as I know.

 

I dunno, 5 is the one people probably want to forget about the most. 

 

An expensive HP release like this probably limits the chance of a HP release by LaLaLand this year so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hooper's scores are fine.  I think Williams's and Doyle's scores are great, and the rest of the Potter/Fantastic Beast scores are pretty good.  It took me a while to get into Desplat's scores outside of their respective movies, but I've even come around on those.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If three composers write six bombastic scores, isn't it pretty clear that that's the thing to do for these films?

 

Also, pardon my limited knowledge of these matters, but why does a vinyl release necessarily mean no expanded releases? Isn't WB able to re-print their own stuff while giving, say, LLL the chance to expand upon it (and produce something that will sell more easily)? Matessino even claimed that the Jurassic Park concerts were a driving factor behind the expanded relases, so why not this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If three composers write six bombastic scores, isn't it pretty clear that that's the thing to do for these films?

 

The films changed directors regularly, and changed tone at the midpoint.  Just because something was right for Columbus's gaudy Hogwarts doesn't mean that it was right for whatshisface's bleak Hogwarts of the later movies.  The scores, for me, fit their accompanying films like a glove (with the exception of the needledropped Williams in the last movie, which seemed completely out of place except in the epilogue).

 

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, pardon my limited knowledge of these matters, but why does a vinyl release necessarily mean no expanded releases?

 

It doesn't.  Everyone's gotta be doomsayers!

 

Mondo reprinted the Jurassic Park OST on vinyl like a year and a half before LLL's release.

 

Two different markets - just like the reprint/remaster of the Home Alone OST the same year as LLL's final release.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooper's work is good, unfortunately it's overshadowed by the scores that preceded it and came after it. If you take away the big Potter Music trademark, his scores are good fantasy scores that accompany two of the moodiest and depressing Potter films. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jay said:

These vinyl reissues of the OSTs would have no impact on a specialty label's ability to release expanded versions on CD, had they already been granted a license to begin with

 

 

Thats not not what I meant though. 

 

A lot of people are expecting it for Black Friday but I’d imagine it being counter productive for WB to approve two separate Harry Potter box sets for the same month. 

 

Just seems strange!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

 

 

Thats not not what I meant though. 

 

A lot of people are expecting it for Black Friday but I’d imagine it being counter productive for WB to approve two separate Harry Potter box sets for the same month. 

 

Just seems strange!

 

 

 

Warner Brothers released their Home Alone OST reissue just before LLL's Home Alone complete edition came out.  That's the thing with these corporate entities - one hand is rarely talking to the other.  It's kinda funny at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Hooper: It's worse when you consider it affected him personally to hear all the negativity from such an entitled audience. I say kudos to him, take two Potter scores as a worthy achievement in its own right. 

 

Haterz gonna hate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying Hooper was al bad, but there's plenty of proof for me that he wasn't up to it. You can't write a possession theme and introduce it in act 3 of your score. You can't write a Malfoy theme and abandon it during his pivotal moment. You can't write a Dumbledore theme that never appears when everyone is mourning. And you certainly can't end HP6 with a dance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

Warner Brothers released their Home Alone OST reissue just before LLL's Home Alone complete edition came out.  That's the thing with these corporate entities - one hand is rarely talking to the other.  It's kinda funny at times.

 

I guess. Home Alone OST is probably a bit different as it isn’t a €250 boxset but I take your point. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1-5? - Funny!

 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

A lot of people are expecting it for Black Friday but I’d imagine it being counter productive for WB to approve two separate Harry Potter box sets for the same month.

It's not the HP LP set that makes me not believing in the HP expansions this year, but it's the E.T. and CE3K (do we know that it will come out this year?) sets that minimize the chances of another groundbreaking highlight from LLL. But anything will be released on Black Friday, definitely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Hooper's work is good, unfortunately it's overshadowed by the scores that preceded it and came after it. If you take away the big Potter Music trademark, his scores are good fantasy scores that accompany two of the moodiest and depressing Potter films. 

 

If you take away the big Potter Music trademark, Hooper's scores are long-winded tripe more fitting for a BBC geology documentary.

 

Even his takes on Williams' themes sound dull and amateurish.

If you can't even make something sound good that John Williams wrote and orchestrated for you, then you're fucked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always found his JW 'quotes' the most interesting parts because then at least something happened.

 

As for LLL's Black Friday, they've been pretty upbeat about it so far. I've only been following them for a year, so for all I know they might be promoting their things like that every time, but I'm expecting something big. (Note that CE3K is not on my wishlist).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm not saying Hooper was al bad, but there's plenty of proof for me that he wasn't up to it.

Who knows if he was up to it? He certainly did, the director, David Yates did. It's easy to be disappointed when the scores seem lackluster, but I'll tell you that the films were lackluster, gloomy, saturated, dark and angst ridden, I don't know what score could help it better than what we were given.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.