Your Halloween soundtracks and movies

Bespin

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial tonight, and I'm just listening to the muses of the month- Tintin, TLJ Edit, TFA Edit etc. Nothing really Halloween although I guess E.T. has some Halloween content. 

E.T. is a valid Halloween film. Its has spooks and fright and CANDY (stupid M&M decision makers). Oh and a score that IMHO is cinema's most grand.

• 2 years later...
23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

No E.T.? Bes, you're slipping :)

I tried to skip some Classics, to make place for other things!

On 31/10/2017 at 2:04 PM, mstrox said:

Five new tracks that I found worthy for my Halloween playlist from the Varese horror box: 

Maniac - On the Beach/Hookers Heartbeat

Scream - The Cue From Hell; Trouble in Woodsboro

Mephisto's Waltz - Main Title; The Library

Tonight the playlist gets put away until August or September.  Boo hoo!

Haven’t updated this playlist since.  Maybe time to start to pan for gold through four years of horror score purchases.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I tried to skip some Classics, to make place for other things!

One cannot "skip" E.T.!

It is against the law!!!!

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Haven’t updated this playlist since.  Maybe time to start to pan for gold through four years of horror score purchases.

MEPHISTO WALTZ. Nice.

Well, it's September, Mike... :)

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Hallowe'en music? Just listen to any Zimmer score; that's enough to frighten anybody shitless.

His music and my singing, guaranteed to make your ears bleed. I can only imagine the Horror that Zims no time to die score will be.

Usually I like these at Halloween:

Nightmare before Christmas - Danny Elfman

Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Hellraiser - Hellbound - Christoper Young

The Others - Alejandro Anemabar

No John Williams score is typical Halloween to me.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Not even The Witches of Eastwick?

THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK is an unusual choice.

It's a Summer film, with no hint of anything Hallowe'en.

When I think of Hallowe'en, I'm really thinking of the time of year: trees turning all sorts of colours; kicking through piles of leaves in woods and forests; Oktoberfests; the first Christmas markets starting to appear; chilly days, in wooly sweaters, green cords and brown brogues; warm evenings in front of a log fire.

Nope: no thoughts of little monsters in trashy outfits, threatening to firebomb your house, if you don't give them more sugar, caffeine, and carbohydrate than their bodies can possibly cope with.

Strange.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The "strong wind and leaves" - along with an awful lot of feathers - was caused by the three witches.

benny-wtf.gif

Watch the film, Bes. The witches are trying to melt a wax figurine of Darryl Van Horne, and they get feathers all over it, so they blow the feathers away, and that causes the storm. Later, in the church, Darryl starts vomiting up feathers.

I take it that everyone knows that it's JW who's whistling, in the ice cream parlour?

Oddly enough I consider return of the jedi an autumn score as well, so it again will bleed into Halloween.

I also love listening to The Ninth Gate by Wojciech Kilar around Halloween. I'm a big fan of that score and I've always loved the film.

Halloween isn't really a thing in Norway, even though there are pockets of kids and families here that have started to adopt the US tradition in recent years. But personally, I have zero connection to it. So I don't use the month or period to focus on horror films or scores. I just play what I want, like the rest of the year.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Halloween isn't really a thing in Norway, even though there are pockets of kids and families here that have started to adopt the US tradition in recent years. But personally, I have zero connection to it. So I don't use the month or period to focus on horror films or scores. I just play what I want, like the rest of the year.

You're no fun! :P

On 27/09/2021 at 9:14 AM, mstrox said:

I pick up the score for everything I watch.  For me to devote time to listening to all these horror scores, I need to start last August!

Here’s the list of scores I’m going to listen to in order to find new tracks for my Halloween playlist.  It really will be like panning for gold - I look for a very specific vibe for Halloween.  I don’t expect to find much.

Spoiler

Addams Family (Shaiman)

Addams Family (the Dannas)

The Aftermath (John Morgan)

Black Christmas (Will and Brooke Blair)

Book of Shadows Blair Witch (Burwell)

Brightburn (T. Williams)

The Burbs (Goldsmith)

Chernobyl Diaries (Diego Stocco)

A Christmas Horror Story (Alex Khaskin)

Coraline (Bruno Coulais)

Crawl (Mac Aruj and Steffen Thum)

The Dark Crystal (Trevor Jones)

Darkman (exp) - Elfman

Disturbing Behavior (Mark Snow)

Dracula (Williams)

Fear Street 1 (Beltrami/Trumpp)

Firestarter (Tangerine Dream)

Freaky (McCreary)

Friday the 13th 7 - Manfredini/Mollin

Friday the 13th 8 - Mollin

Friday the 13th the Game - Manfredini

Ghostbusters (Elmer)

Ghostbusters 2 (Randy)

The Girl with All the Gifts (Cristobal Tapia De Veer)

Goosebumps 2 (Lewis)

Halloween 4 (Howarth)

Halloween 5 (Howarth)

Halloween 6 (Howarth)

Haunting of Hill Hoise (Newtons)

hellboy (wallfisch)

Hocus Pocus (Debney)

Hotel Transylvania trilogy (Mothersbaugh)

The Hunt (Barr)

Hush (Newtons)

Jack and the Cuckoo Clock Heart (Dionysos)

Love and Monsters (Beltrami/Trumpp)

Paranorman (Brion)

Possessor (Jim Williams)

Rim of the World (McCreary)

Saint (Dick Maas)

Scream 2 (Beltrami/Elfman)

Sleepy Hollow film version (Elfman)

The Stand (Walden)

The Shining (Pike)

Steanger Things 3 (Dixon/Stein)

Us (Abels)

Vivarium (Kristian Andersen)

WYR (Hunt/Johansson)

The Witches (Silvestri)

Wrong Turn (Stephen Lukach)

RIP my free time!

wow I can't believe I forgot one of my favorite halloween-time scores.

Curt Sobel's score of the episode of 'Masks of Evil' for the Young Indiana Jones series.  A lot of people may recognize some cues from it from the Lego Indiana Jones game, specifically The Last Crusade portion of the game.  It's wonderful.

couple stand out cues

5 minutes ago, blondheim said:

A Young Indiana Jones box set would be nice.

it's my holy grail of score collections.  only cause i know the films will eventually get the complete treatment.  young indy.....i dunno.

I've been spinning Dracula actually. Both Williams and Kilar. Hellraiser (1 and 2) sure. (Is there any need / want for an expansion of these?)

But tonight I hit my Halloween sweet spot: The Haunted Mansion (Buddy Baker) and Phantom Manor (John Debney). It's glorious and it makes the leaves turn gold and orange. (To be fair it's got more than a little Hellraiser in it.)

I'll probably play Phantom of the Opera (Webber) soon.

Nightmare Before Christmas is technically more of a Christmas movie. So I'll play Batman and Edward Scissorhands instead.

Goldsmith's Link is an annual staple near Halloween.  It has exactly the perfect silly-spooky vibe I look for in Halloween listening.  The more dated elements of the score only add to the charm.

Only really one for me, and now a particularly special experience: Sleepy Hollow.

I have a ton of general horror scores, but I don't really associate them with Halloween - actually more summer as that's when many of them are set.