Your Halloween soundtracks and movies

Bespin

Sleepy Hollow I put on for sure this time of year, but in general I don't listen to many actual horror scores specifically as a connection to Halloween.  Most horror scores don't actually have the right vibe, which like I said above is more like silly-spooky than unsettling-horrifying.  Beetlejuice, Gremlins 2, Mars Attacks, etc. and select tracks from video games.  I do listen to the soundtracks for the first two Halloween films (the Carpenter scores) though.  And also more generally autumnal stuff like the Fantastic Mr. Fox OST.

This from Kaufman's Ducktales is by my estimation exactly the perfect vibe

I’ve made a more conscious effort this October to pull out some murder and monster mayhem.

I’ve been listening to a different score each day(s) on my commute. So far this month:

Grizzly

Prophecy

The Omen

Damien: Omen 2 - both film score and album

The Final Conflict

On 09/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Ollie said:

The Omen

Damien: Omen 2

The Final Conflict

It's interesting that none of these films were released in the Fall, nor do they feature any "Hallowe'en" music, nor do they feature any scenes, at Hallowe'en.

On 13/10/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jay said:

Not familiar with Grizzly. What's it like? 

Jaws for camping.

Scared the shit out of me and my sister.

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Jaws for camping.

Scared the shit out of me and my sister.

I was asking about the score, not the film

I have no idea of the score. I do know that the composer did the music for the wonddr woman tv series and the movie Q. 

As I slowly continue my watching The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), I discover that it have a Franz Waxman score.

Nothing less!

Is there any oher example of Classic Horror movies scored by such prestigious composer?

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

As I slowly continue my watching The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), I discover that it have a Franz Waxman score.

Nothing less!

It's a great score - and based around three notes. How cool is that?!

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is there any oher example of Classic Horror movies scored by such prestigious composer?

PSYCHO 

THE THING 

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD 

ALIEN

On 13/10/21 at 9:05 PM, Jay said:

Not familiar with Grizzly. What's it like? 

Rousing main theme. Cheesy 70’s song derived from main theme, or vise versa, not included here.

On 14/10/21 at 1:42 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's interesting that none of these films were released in the Fall, nor do they feature any "Hallowe'en" music, nor do they feature any scenes, at Hallowe'en.

they are supernatural horror films.

Derivative as it is (note the main theme's structural similarity to the Harry Potter main theme, which of course was written 8 years later)

Also James Horner's wonderful precursor:

15 hours ago, Ollie said:

Rousing main theme. Cheesy 70’s song derived from main theme, or vise versa, not included here.

Thanks for taking the time to find music youtube for me!

Not my cup of tea, but not bad music by any means!

On 18/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, Disco Stu said:

One of the very best Hollywood scores of the 1930s! 

I was looking for other "Monster movies" with famous scores... and I just discovered that "The Ghost of Frankenstein" (1942) by Hans J. Salter is also an important score of this era (it's on the list of AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores).

I will watch the movie in few minutes...

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I was looking for other "Monster movies" with famous scores... and I just discovered that "The Ghost of Frankenstein" (1942) by Hans J. Salter is also an important score of this era (it's on the list of AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores).

I will watch the movie in few minutes...

On 18/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, Disco Stu said:

Salter often worked as part of a committee with other composers for Universal's Horror and Mystery films.

He helped elevate B films

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Salter often worked as part of a committee with other composers for Universal's Horror and Mystery films.

He helped elevate B films

Speaking of the wolf, this score too if in the list of AFI, I'll watch the movie tonight... Full MOON...

BEVARE!!! BEVARE!!!! AHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW!!!!

THE WOLF MAN (Salter, Frank Skinner, Charles Previn, 1941)

• 11 months later...
On 07/10/2021 at 6:39 PM, Disco Stu said:

Sleepy Hollow I put on for sure this time of year, but in general I don't listen to many actual horror scores specifically as a connection to Halloween.  Most horror scores don't actually have the right vibe, which like I said above is more like silly-spooky than unsettling-horrifying.  Beetlejuice, Gremlins 2, Mars Attacks, etc. and select tracks from video games.  I do listen to the soundtracks for the first two Halloween films (the Carpenter scores) though.  And also more generally autumnal stuff like the Fantastic Mr. Fox OST.

This from Kaufman's Ducktales is by my estimation exactly the perfect vibe

I agree with Disco Stu

Oh wow, great topic. I could go on and on. I enjoy the genre and love the holiday.   My favorite horror film is Creepshow.  Also enjoy Carpenter, Hammer, Universal, 80s horror, Italian horror, some slashers, and even some of the modern cheap thrill jump scare flicks. 

Some of my favorite horror scores that are not from Williams, Goldsmith, or Horner

Creepshow

The Fog

Halloween

Salem’s Lot

Amityville Horror

Bram Stoker’s Dracula

Sleepy Hollow

Any James Bernard Hammer

Friday the 13th

Bride of Frankenstein 

Carrie

Suspiria

Dawn of the Dead

I’d say the Omen is probably the greatest original horror score of all time. 

I'd say that SUSPIRIA, INFERNO, and TENEBRAE are worth checking out.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

When the crypt doors creek and the tombstones quake... 

When the Jews return to Zion, and a comet fills the sky...

For those who wants to prepare themselves for the FINAL chapter of Halloween (HAHAHA) that is coming in few days.... HALLOWEND ENDS (well if they say it!)... :lol:

The minimum movies you have to see are these ones, they all contain genuine screams by Jamie Lee Curtis, so if you want to test your speakers, have fun!

• Halloween (1978, the original movie, with Jamie Lee Curtis, her first movie ever, I think)
  • 1st part of the New trilogy with Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween 2018 (a "rebooted" direct sequel to the first 1978 movie)
  • 2nd part of the New trilogy with Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween Kills (2021) (A very direct sequel to the 2018 movie, that will make you love it more)
  • 3rd and final part of the New trilogy with Jamie Lee Curtis - Hallowen Ends (2022, to be released in few days)

But if you're like an archeologist, a sort of Indy of the B movies genre...

This year I tried this chronology (which represent a total nonsense on paper, but which works very well in the reality) and I recommend it. The basic Idea is to watch bad sequels in the inverse order... because it will prevent you of saying: OH WOW THIS MOVIE IS REALLY A BAD SEQUEL TO THE PREVIOUS MOVIE I JUST SAW! ROTFLMAO

• Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
  • Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
  • Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (these three movies are a consistent "trilogy" (without Jame Lee Curtis). But as the 6th movie is not the "apotheosis" it should have been... try this order... and mark my words it will not affect your comprehension of the "plot"... The plot? hehehe)
  • Halloween Resurrection (2002) (or "Michael Myers meet the TV Reality Shows Generation!)
  • Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) (A true sequel to Halloween 1978 and Halloween II 1981. These three movies are often called by the fans the "Laurie Strode Trilogy". Again, Resurrection was made AFTER H20... but then you'll be deceived a bit by the lack of "continuity"... watching them backward is funnier)
  • Halloween 1978 (the cherry on the cake!)
  • ok... Then you can go with the first list... AND REPEAT EACH YEAR!!!

14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't seen any Dario Argento.

Should I?

Yes absolutely. 
Suspiria is one of the most colorfully lensed film ever made. It is an assault on the eyes and the ears.   Be warned, the soundtrack is relentlessly loud. But it’s part of the experience. 

If you enjoy that, Inferno is the sequel.  Not as bold, but wonderfully unconventional. 

I might also recommend Deep Red, a stylish Giallo. It’s dated and ridiculous, but again, Argento has a way. 

He is sort of a blend of Hitchcock and Mario Bava.

You must see Suspiria though. It’s probably the most strikingly beautiful horror film ever made.   Inferno is the sequel, and it’s no slouch either. 

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

For those who wants to prepare themselves for the FINAL chapter of Halloween (HAHAHA) that is coming in few days.... HALLOWEND ENDS (well if they say it!)... :lol:

The minimum movies you have to see are these ones, they all contain genuine screams by Jamie Lee Curtis, so if you want to test your speakers, have fun!

Unlike the  Friday the 13th series, which are just consistently entertaining dumb fun from first to last , the Halloween sequels are an exponential  drop in quality. 

The original and II are sort of like Jaws and Jaws 2.  Season of the Witch (III) was the right move to pivot away from Michael.   Carpenter’s plan was to make each Halloween sequel a new story taking place on Halloween.  We could’ve had, what, a dozen or so weird tales of Halloween by now, if the audiences hadn’t rejected the idea and demanded Michael come back.  I would gladly trade those almost unwatchable sequels for more one-off stories with Carpenter’s involvement.   They really are terrible. 

• 3 weeks later...