Jump to content

Your Halloween soundtracks and movies


Bespin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sleepy Hollow I put on for sure this time of year, but in general I don't listen to many actual horror scores specifically as a connection to Halloween.  Most horror scores don't actually have the right vibe, which like I said above is more like silly-spooky than unsettling-horrifying.  Beetlejuice, Gremlins 2, Mars Attacks, etc. and select tracks from video games.  I do listen to the soundtracks for the first two Halloween films (the Carpenter scores) though.  And also more generally autumnal stuff like the Fantastic Mr. Fox OST.

 

This from Kaufman's Ducktales is by my estimation exactly the perfect vibe

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve made a more conscious effort this October to pull out some murder and monster mayhem.

 

I’ve been listening to a different score each day(s) on my commute. So far this month:

 

Grizzly

Prophecy

The Omen

Damien: Omen 2 - both film score and album

The Final Conflict

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Ollie said:

The Omen

Damien: Omen 2

The Final Conflict

It's interesting that none of these films were released in the Fall, nor do they feature any "Hallowe'en" music, nor do they feature any scenes, at Hallowe'en.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/10/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jay said:

Not familiar with Grizzly. What's it like? 

Jaws for camping.

Scared the shit out of me and my sister.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Jaws for camping.

Scared the shit out of me and my sister.

 

I was asking about the score, not the film

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no idea of the score. I do know that the composer did the music for the wonddr woman tv series and the movie Q. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I slowly continue my watching The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), I discover that it have a Franz Waxman score.

 

Nothing less!

 

Is there any oher example of Classic Horror movies scored by such prestigious composer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is there any oher example of Classic Horror movies scored by such prestigious composer?

Maybe Williams' Dracula and Wojciech Kilar's Bram Stoker's Dracula?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

As I slowly continue my watching The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), I discover that it have a Franz Waxman score.

Nothing less!

It's a great score - and based around three notes. How cool is that?!

 

 

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is there any oher example of Classic Horror movies scored by such prestigious composer?

PSYCHO 

THE THING 

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD 

ALIEN

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

If you look in the mirror and say Haz zimmer  5 times the rest of your day will be filled with mediocre noise.

 

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMM!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/10/21 at 9:05 PM, Jay said:

Not familiar with Grizzly. What's it like? 


 

Rousing main theme. Cheesy 70’s song derived from main theme, or vise versa, not included here.
 

 

 


 

 

On 14/10/21 at 1:42 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's interesting that none of these films were released in the Fall, nor do they feature any "Hallowe'en" music, nor do they feature any scenes, at Hallowe'en.


 

they are supernatural horror films.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derivative as it is (note the main theme's structural similarity to the Harry Potter main theme, which of course was written 8 years later)
 

 

 

Also James Horner's wonderful precursor:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ollie said:

Rousing main theme. Cheesy 70’s song derived from main theme, or vise versa, not included here.

 

Thanks for taking the time to find music youtube for me!

 

Not my cup of tea, but not bad music by any means!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 18/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, Disco Stu said:

 

One of the very best Hollywood scores of the 1930s! 

 

I was looking for other "Monster movies" with famous scores... and I just discovered that "The Ghost of Frankenstein" (1942) by Hans J. Salter is also an important score of this era (it's on the list of AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores).

 

I will watch the movie in few minutes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

 

 

I was looking for other "Monster movies" with famous scores... and I just discovered that "The Ghost of Frankenstein" (1942) by Hans J. Salter is also an important score of this era (it's on the list of AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores).

 

I will watch the movie in few minutes...

On 18/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, Disco Stu said:

 

Salter often worked as part of a committee with other composers for Universal's Horror and Mystery films.

He helped elevate B films

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Salter often worked as part of a committee with other composers for Universal's Horror and Mystery films.

He helped elevate B films

 

Speaking of the wolf, this score too if in the list of AFI, I'll watch the movie tonight... Full MOON...

 

BEVARE!!! BEVARE!!!! AHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW!!!!

 

THE WOLF MAN (Salter, Frank Skinner, Charles Previn, 1941)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.