NEW | "John Williams: Conductor" 20 CD box coming from Sony on January 2018

Bespin

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Seriously!  Both Memoirs suites, Happy Birthday Variations, surely there's some other odds and ends he recorded during his time signed to Sony that haven't been released.  Like that Close Encounters suite recorded last year!

Oh? ;)

On 25.11.2017 at 6:01 AM, TownerFan said:

John-williams-conductor-20-cd.jpg

On 25.11.2017 at 2:48 PM, Bespin said:

It's the exact same photo.

OMG, they photoshoped the inclination of his head!

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « steven spielberg john williams collaboration »

The body (position of his fingers, creases in his suit, shades) are exactly the same, but the angle of the head is different. You're right Bespin.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

If only there was anything new on that set... it just seems a terribly wasted opportunity to get out some unreleased material.

Forget it Miguel. It's Chinatown...I mean Sony.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, this is now on Amazon US for pre-order with release date of Feb 2nd.  I may have to spring for this as I believe I only own 1 or 2 of these releases already.  Currently $128.24 USD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07713PKXN/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Chad

• 3 weeks later...

Received this today. As someone who only owned the three Spielberg albums this was a no brainer. I'm going to go through it in order. Some stuff I'm familiar with and some that I don't know what to expect at all. Quite exciting really. Plus the Box looks pretty damn nice on the shelf!

3 hours ago, serenifly said:

Received this today. As someone who only owned the three Spielberg albums this was a no brainer. I'm going to go through it in order. Some stuff I'm familiar with and some that I don't know what to expect at all. Quite exciting really. Plus the Box looks pretty damn nice on the shelf!

Got any pics of the set you can share?  Not too many images available on Amazon / Google.  

Thanks!

On 12/4/2017 at 4:26 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

If only there was anything new on that set... it just seems a terribly wasted opportunity to get out some unreleased material.

As usual

People are always complaining.

It's a very good opportunity for the younger fans to get all the Sony CDs.

Not all are memorable, but there are some pearls there.

I'll also have to get this someday, but the lowest price including shipping I can find at the moment is 103€ on Amazon DE, which is a bit too steep for my current budget to spend on something like this. For 50, it'd already be on its way, for 70, I'd think for a day or two about it, for 100, I wait patiently.

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

What about the booklet? Any interesting pictures or newly written notes?

The booklet is nice and thick but I don't think it is anything special in its own right. There is a 5 page general overview on Williams career titled 'John Williams - Working Musician and Celebrity Composer' by Steven Ledbetter. This was also in German and French since this is the EU edition. There're also a few pictures that feel familiar (probably reused) and the rest of the booklet is simply the tracklist and album cover for each album.

27 minutes ago, serenifly said:

The booklet is nice and thick but I don't think it is anything special in its own right. There is a 5 page general overview on Williams career titled 'John Williams - Working Musician and Celebrity Composer' by Steven Ledbetter. This was also in German and French since this is the EU edition. There're also a few pictures that feel familiar (probably reused) and the rest of the booklet is simply the tracklist and album cover for each album.

So they omitted the original liner notes of each individual release? WTH!

Yep. I think this is what often happens with these type of card slipcase boxsets. One of the drawbacks of not getting the original albums.

Another benefit of this set is the rather small (in my opinion) number of duplicates...I think Summon the Heroes is the only track identically repeated, on the American Journey album.  Other than that, the Williams tracks on The Hollywood Sound with the LSO were also recorded with the Pops or the Skywalker Symphony, but those are obviously different performances.  Schindler's List was recorded twice, with Boston and then Pittsburgh.  Other than that, I think that's it.  Everything else is unique.

12 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Wow, that sucks. 

Either way, I'm happy I own all the original releases. Now I'm definitely NOT getting this.

So you’re upset that what you wanted to buy is not exactly like what you already own? Makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Bespin said:

Just got mine NEW for 55 $US on Amazon.com, from a UK retailer. Wow.

Don't know how they make money, but it is not my business!

Wow, it really was a flash sale, it returned to 102 $US few hours after I bought mine at 55$! :o

Well, I went through the entire set in just over a week and it was a lot of fun. Barring the Spielberg albums my favourites were American Journey and Summon the Heroes. That said, there is so much to take in that I'm sure that some of the others will gain in appreciation on repeated listens. I think the Gershwin album was pretty cool and I knew nothing about his work going in although I had heard the name.

Anyway, the set was money well spent as far as I'm concerned having only owned the Spielberg stuff separately. Is this all the Sony albums that have been released? Also, does anyone think a collection of the Philips stuff is likely or possible?

On 03/02/2018 at 12:21 PM, Bespin said:

Wow, it really was a flash sale, it returned to 102 $US few hours after I bought mine at 55$! :o

If you get it at that price you are very lucky!

On 04/02/2018 at 10:45 AM, serenifly said:

If you get it at that price you are very lucky!

It seems it stayed at this price few minutes only!!! Maybe it was an error.

On 04/02/2018 at 10:45 AM, serenifly said:

Is this all the Sony albums that have been released? Also, does anyone think a collection of the Phillips stuff is likely or possible?

First question: Albums, Yes.  It could have included the Single "Memoirs of a Geisha - Live Sessions" recorded with Yo-Yo Ma, however.

Second question: I hope Universal/Decca will do it!  It'll take what... 22 CD if we count "By Request..." and the two Jessye Norman albums? For Peter and the Wolf,  they'll probably chose the US version with Dudley Moore (it's the only version I own, I don't even have the french one, which is VERY rare now).

• 3 weeks later...

Comparison of "Far and Away Theme" from Cinema Serenade.

Old original CD:

image.png

Conductor's new boxset:

image.png

Is it "exactly" the same: NO.

Star Wars Main Theme from SW Trilogy, original CD:

image.png

Conductor's new Boxset:

image.png

Again, it's slightly different, but the differences may come from the fact that the silence between the tracks are not exactly the same.

So, at least, this boxset seems not to be just a bunch of "copied" CDs...

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's racist!

The box, the booklet and the verso of each of the sleeves cards are all black!

I'm currently ripping all the CDs for my mp3 player, I will replace the old ones.