New recording "Star Wars Heptalogy" will be released 22 December

Jurassic Shark

Japan Philharmonic Orchestra, which released the album John Williams Film Spectacular (85th anniversary collection) earlier this year, will release the one-CD album Star Wars Heptalogy on 22 December in Europe and USA, and on 13 December in Japan.

It seems that some of the tracks are taken from the Film Spectacular album. According to amazon.co.jp, using Google translate:

John Williams' 80th birthday second volume. Using the full song original score, reproduced the Star Wars music world with the best performers and recordings by leading conductor and orchestra in Japan. The first Star Wars compilation album from the recording project from 2001 to 2017.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/スター・ウォーズ・フィルム・スペクタキュラー-日本フィルハーモニー交響楽団/dp/B075RBWMLJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508842429&sr=8-1&keywords=B075RBWMLJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Spectacular-Japan-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B075RBWMLJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508837804&sr=8-1&keywords=B075RBWMLJ

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Spectacular-Japan-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B075RBWMLJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1508843325&sr=1-1&refinements=p_32%3AJapan+Philharmonic+Orchestra

Why release such an oddly specific collection of 7 scores when the 8th has already been recorded and released (at the time of release)?

Should've just delayed it a few months and included concert suites from TLJ.

There will never be a point where the Star Wars scores well will dry up.  God willing, there will be another Williams score in two years.  Might as well create a release when they want to create a release.  And hey, they can always add a track and rerelease it as the Octogology next year!

(I'm making fun, but I'm always here for more Star Wars recordings - especially ones from the prequels and sequels, which haven't been done as to-death as the original trilogy).  I'll be interested in picking this up

How do these recordings work?  Are they required to use Williams' existing concert versions, or can they record cues/and or reworked pieces from the film (without going through big legal hoops)? 

I know that Kunzel/Cincinnati actually made their own concert arrangements out of some works - thinking specifically about Elfman's Batman and Shore's Fellowship.

I'd imagine they'd take the path of least resistance and go to the published concert works, though.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:16 PM, bollemanneke said:

Same here! Here's hoping they won't obsess over the OT and actually do some newer stuff.

As long as they do The Imperial March, the rest can be Prequel :)

16 minutes ago, karelm said:

Would you guys want a Star Wars Live in Concert recording?  Basically that would be every cue of music from the original trilogy and TFA in state of the art sound but not the original performance and conducting we grew up with.  This would basically be a re-recording like what Tadlow did with Ben-Hur.

That would be fantastic!  And yes, for the first movie especially.

On 25/10/2017 at 6:37 PM, Tom said:

How do these recordings work?  Are they required to use Williams' existing concert versions, or can they record cues/and or reworked pieces from the film (without going through big legal hoops)? 

The recent release seems to have several transcriptions made after the original recordings. Unless they contacted Williams people and had the original scores made available (unlikely as there are some obvious little differences), those were probably transcription made by ear, just like those old recordings from the City of Prague Phil. As for the material readily available for renting/purchasing like Superman or Star Wars, those do seem to be the regular concert versions.

On 25/10/2017 at 7:40 PM, mstrox said:

I know that Kunzel/Cincinnati actually made their own concert arrangements out of some works - thinking specifically about Elfman's Batman and Shore's Fellowship.

I'd imagine they'd take the path of least resistance and go to the published concert works, though.

Kunzel did both things... some stuff he could have asked Williams for, but rather got a new arrangement commissioned -- that was the case in some of his later Williams recordings. Really can't understand why, as in the FSM interview, made a few years ahead of his untimely passing, he said he usually phoned Williams and asked him for whatever stuff he would like to conduct. Other composers I'm not sure, but I would imagine that for Shore's Fellowship of the Ring he could have used the composer's concert versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Soo... where did you buy it?

I bought it at deepdiscount.  They also have a 15% off coupon and free shipping.  That brings the price down.
https://www.deepdiscount.com/star-wars-film-spectacular/4988003513665

I also purchased the John Williams 85th Anniversary Collection
https://www.deepdiscount.com/85th-anniversary-collection/4988003505950?rel=nofollow

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to listening this.

The best performances are no doubt the OT tracks. I just love the violin at the end of Princess Leia and the strings in general are great too.

The prequel material is all over the place. Anakin's Theme is lovely, Across the Stars has some brass problems and Battle of the Heroes is even more pointless without the choir (yes, I think it's a bad concert arrangement, Anakin Vs Obi-Wan is so much better.) Why not do Duel of the Fates instead?

The sequel material is not bad, but Rey's theme is a very lacklustre performance. Keith Lockhart's will remain my TFA go-tor ecording.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Finally got around to listening this.

The best performances are no doubt the OT tracks. I just love the violin at the end of Princess Leia and the strings in general are great too.

The prequel material is all over the place. Anakin's Theme is lovely, Across the Stars has some brass problems and Battle of the Heroes is even more pointless without the choir (yes, I think it's a bad concert arrangement, Anakin Vs Obi-Wan is so much better.) Why not do Duel of the Fates instead?

The sequel material is not bad, but Rey's theme is a very lacklustre performance. Keith Lockhart's will remain my TFA go-tor ecording.

Yeah, Anakin Vs Obi-Wan is great!