Rey's Theme vs. Fawkes The Phoenix

MrScratch

Rey's Theme vs. Fawkes The Phoenix  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you like better?

• Rey's Theme
    • Fawkes The Phoenix

Fawkes, without question. One of the highlights from an otherwise disappointing score. I think, overall, TFA is a better score than CHAMBER, though.

Fawkes is indeed a great theme, really quite beautifully composed, but I have to give my vote to Rey's theme.  The two themes aren't in any way comparable, as they express different colors, but Rey's theme is more richly explored within its respective score.

EDIT:  So, four of us have claimed Rey's, but only two votes recorded.  Vote people!

Rey's Theme. I'm especially bothered by the busier sections of Fawkes' concert arrangement because, for me, they don't have anything to do with Fawkes. It just sounds like JW was in a hurry but wanted to write something for the sake of it.

Rey's theme, easily. Fawkes' theme would at least be in the running for me if not for...everything that comes after the first five notes. It's an absolutely gorgeous start to a theme, but then it really meanders after that. Rey's theme is incredibly moving from start to finish.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I was wondering: why did you choose to compare these ones?

I happened to hear them back to back while listening to Williams in shuffle mode. They are two highly regarded themes around here and just wanted to see what people would choose and maybe start an argument or two.

I forget that Fawkes is highly regarded.  I never think of it and only listen to it if I decide to put on the CoS OST.  It's just not part of my "Williams head canon," a thing I just made up.

Better theme: Rey

Better Concert Arrangement: Fawkes (it's more elaborate and virtuoso)

Both are good themes, but not without their weaknesses and Williams cleverly disguises their weaknesses behind dazzling orchestration. Williams is rather good at that, a showman for sure.

As someone who adores Rey's Theme, I have to go with the magical spirit of Fawke's Theme which is a such a warm and whimsical theme in an otherwise dark film.

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The Lost World is really just Fawkes theme faster and more intense.

george-lucas_0.jpg

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The Lost World is really just Fawkes theme faster and more intense.

Makes sense too because we all know dinosaurs descended from birds (or vice versa)... 

Johnny was using his head. 😂

Chamber of Secrets, whilst not as dark as each of the successive films became, takes a decidedly darker tone than Philosopher's Stone, the latter half of the score reflects that too, does it not?

As for the score I'd need to take another look at it. Hadn't listened to the bloody thing in years.

But the film? Yes, its darker than Sorcerer's Stone, but that's a very low bar to clear. In both films, I think Chris Colombus pulled his punches on material that was genuinely dark. Even when he tried to go along with it during the Basilisk sequence, he unintentionally mired it with repetitive exposition that saps all the tension from it.

I suppose if you like the nostalgia and kid-film aspect of the first two films than they'd appeal to you more.

To me, they're too jouvenile, too slow (Sorcerer's Stone at least has the excuse that its the first film) and horrendosly acted. 

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Makes sense too because we all know dinosaurs descended from birds (or vice versa)... 

Johnny was using his head. 😂

:lol:

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The early films over-explain things, but the later films are loaded with confusing unexplained elements that presumably were explained in the books.

This is all very very true!

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

...rubbish, compared with FAWKES THE PHOENIX.

No. Neither is rubbish but one is superior to the other. Fawlkes is not the superior. This is a case of A and A+.

Wrong thinking is punishable; right thinking will be as quickly rewarded.

Reys Theme > Chamber of Secrets Theme>Fawkes Theme.

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

They keep reminding the audience what the kids are trying to do in all the movies, but the first two especially seem to do it every other scene.

They're trying to help you understand it.

This isn't even a fair comparison. Rey's theme, by far. "Fawkes the Phoenix" is a nice composition, but when compared to the masterpiece that is Rey's theme, is rendered mostly forgettable.