Rey's Theme vs. Fawkes The Phoenix

MrScratch

Rey's Theme vs. Fawkes The Phoenix  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you like better?

• Rey's Theme
    • Fawkes The Phoenix

14 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I suppose if you like the nostalgia and kid-film aspect of the first two films than they'd appeal to you more.

To me, they're too jouvenile, too slow (Sorcerer's Stone at least has the excuse that its the first film) and horrendosly acted. 

Not entirely, I find all of them enjoyable in a few regards. I've often lamented the fact that they somehow drained the magic from the later books when it came to their film adaptations. I also don't really care much for the acting in the first two considering they were only kids with no real prior experience, I've found since that all three of the main cast have grown into capable young actors. 

It's not the kids. It's the director. The adult actors are also either laying it too thick, or are just bland. Yes, they sort of adapted into working with Chris Columbus between the two films, so they are a bit better.

On 26/10/2017 at 4:16 AM, Arpy said:

Not entirely, I find all of them enjoyable in a few regards. I've often lamented the fact that they somehow drained the magic from the later books when it came to their film adaptations.

Very much agree there!

As for the poll, that seems like a pretty much impossible choice to me.

They're both pretty brilliant.

• 4 years later...
On 24/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, Tom said:

Someone around here pointed out years ago that Fawkes theme is really just the Lost World theme slowed down and made grand.  

And when Poe Dameron suddenly appears, alive, flying over the battlefield, his theme is really just Fawkes the Phoenix 2, lift, luft, and all.

Williams must have noticed that Poe was played by Chris Pratt, who had previously starred as Nick in Lost World.

The general arrangement of Rey's theme is more developed but Fawkes is more soaring and uplifting in terms of melody and flow.

And I think that's an issue with this poll - the two themes are achieving different things.

The two themes are so different. Fawkes' theme is simplicity itself. Simple and soaring. Rey's theme is much more complex with multiple musical components that express different aspects of Rey's character. Ultimately I prefer Rey's theme but Fawkes' theme is beautiful as well.

16 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The more interesting comparison would be Rey's Theme and The Lost World Theme. I think, they are more comparable.

Not really. Even though some notes are identical the tone couldn't be more different. Do you compare Somewhere in my Memory with Flight to neverland, only because some intervals are identical?

30 minutes ago, Steve said:

Not really. Even though some notes are identical the tone couldn't be more different. Do you compare Somewhere in my Memory with Flight to neverland, only because some intervals are identical?

So, you really think, Rey's Theme and Fawkes the Phoenix have more in common?

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

So, you really think, Rey's Theme and Fawkes the Phoenix have more in common?

Maybe a bit more. They are both a bit sentimental while Lost World is much more straight forward and adventuresque. But of course this is just my opinion. I like all three a LOT.