Jump to content
Jurassic Shark

Bargain JW soundtracks

Recommended Posts

I doubt it's a bug, it's rather part of Amazon's strategy of fluctuating prices. They do it all the time. Sometimes they just drop the price by a large amount, other times they let it go down in small steps until it's ridiculously low. I guess they've figured out that people will buy other stuff in addition to the cheap "bait" item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Probably a great deal for those who crave such things. I just wanted to say that 'Jurassic Shark' is a brilliant screen name. Kudos!

 

Even you have to appreciate this deal to some extent - the second disc is the long out of print OST which was going for tons of money on the secondary market.  Even if the set came without disc 1, getting the classic OST for less than 6 Euros is a steal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I bought an old copy if the Twin Peaks OST for €1.50 the other week

 

The TP OST was a mainstay at used CD stores around here for many years, until they all went out of business. Seems like any film score release that has significant crossover appeal (to non-score fans) will eventually flood the secondary market.  Ours always had lots of Star Wars special editions, Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, Titanic, LOTR OSTs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, but in widely circulated things.

Not in specialty labels soundtracks.

 

I think this is a difference between the American and the European amazon sites. I have a narrow taste in music compared to "mainstream", but I've made tons of bargains on the European amazon sites, including relatively specialized labels. Not so on the american. Maybe it has something to do with storage capacities, or about reaching the budgeted sales numbers. Those who are interested should monitor the soundtrack bestseller page on amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.fr, amazon.es and amazon.it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Thor said:

Probably a great deal for those who crave such things. I just wanted to say that 'Jurassic Shark' is a brilliant screen name. Kudos!

 

Thanks, it was the first name popping into my head when creating the profile. And of course, it's inspired by two of JW's greatest scores!

 

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't crave - Jaws 2 or bargains?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Thor said:

Probably a great deal for those who crave such things. I just wanted to say that 'Jurassic Shark' is a brilliant screen name. Kudos!

 

Funny how instead of just saying you like his screen name, you had to preface your comment with a little self-validation.

 

Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but I read that as:

 

Quote

"Yes, for the simpletons who like their music presented in a less cultivated form, I suppose that would be a 'good deal.'"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Muldoon said:

 

Funny how instead of just saying you like his screen name, you had to preface your comment with a little self-validation.

 

Gotta keep it on-topic, at least tangentially. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand both points of view. As an amateur composer (with emphasis on amateur), I totally understand the composer's need to edit the soundtrack into a coherent whole, which doesn't include every note written for the movie. However, a problem arises when the listener doesn't agree about the selection. Then it's good to have the complete score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no holes in my collection, so I'm not really on the lookout for Williams CDs these days, bargains or not. But I have two that I need to have physically -- STANLEY & IRIS/PETE'N'TILLIE (I have S&I already, but because of P&T, I also need to have it physically), and GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (I have a LP-to-CD transfer of the original album, but I need to have the 3CD set). If anyone knows where to find these in "bargain mode", be sure to let me know! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm deseperate of seing an used copy of Superman 16 tracks, Dracula and Monsignor on CD. Three great holes in my collection actually!

 

Why not buy a new copy of the 16 track Superman?

 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/スーパーマン-サントラ/dp/B000LZ53KG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510741018&sr=8-2&keywords=superman+soundtrack

 

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/superman-original-soundtrack/4943674212347

 

Is Monsignor any good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

It's in f****** chinese!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Japanese. :) If you've ordered from amazon.com you should be able to order from amazon.co.jp as well. It's the same process.

 

Ordered :-) Many thanks, about 38 $ CAD... not a bargain... but.. I was there in my collection!

 

No option for Dracula and Monsignor? ;)

 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

You can easily find Dracula for around $10... on LP. :D

 

For my JW collection, I only consider CDs, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

 

Ordered :-) Many thanks, about 38 $ CAD... not a bargain... but.. I was there in my collection!

 

I hope you also saw the link to wowhd.com. They have it on back order.

Btw, is there any reason for buying the 16 track Superman if I have the 2CD Rhino release? Are the tracks edited differently on the former?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

I hope you also saw the link to wowhd.com. They have it on back order.

Btw, is there any reason for buying the 16 track Superman if I have the 2CD Rhino release? Are the tracks edited differently on the former?

 

First, it's the complete representation of the double-LP.

 

Then, you know those old OST... will all their analogue EDITS... I think some "montages" may only exist on the OST album.  But I can be wrong.

 

Any Superman expert in the room? @Jay?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he only recorded 2 pieces from Superman specifically for the album - "Love Theme From Superman" and "March of the Villains", and the first of those ended up in the film anyway in the end credits.

 

Most of the rest of the tracks on the album are edits of film cues

 

01 Theme From Superman (Main Title) (4:28) is an edit of the alternate, early Prelude cue into the Main Title march

02 The Planet Krypton (4:49) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (6:36)

03 Destruction Of Krypton (6:04) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (7:53)

08 The Fortress of Solitude (8:30) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (9:18)

11 Lex Luthor's Lair (2:54) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (4:46)

10 Super Rescues (3:27) contains music from multiple cues (The Burglar Sequence / Chasing Crooks and Super Rescues IIRC)

12 Superfeats (5:03) contains music from multiple cues (Superfeats and Pushing Boulders / Flying to Lois IIRC)

14 Chasing Rockets (7:38) contains music from multiple cues (Trajectory Malfunction / Luthor's Lethal Weapon and Chasing Rockets IIRC)

 

The rest contain the same music as future Rhino/FSM tracks with no edits

 

04 The Trip to Earth (2:27) = The Trip To Earth

05 Growing Up (2:32) = Growing Up

07 Leaving Home (4:55) = Leaving Home

09 The Flying Sequence / Can You Read My Mind (8:10) = The Flying Sequence (album version)

15 Turning Back the World (2:07) = Turning Back the World

16 End Titles (6:27) = The Prison Yard / End Title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Well, he only recorded 2 pieces from Superman specifically for the album - "Love Theme From Superman" and "March of the Villains", and the first of those ended up in the film anyway in the end credits.

 

Most of the rest of the tracks on the album are edits of film cues

 

01 Theme From Superman (Main Title) (4:28) is an edit of the alternate, early Prelude cue into the Main Title march

02 The Planet Krypton (4:49) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (6:36)

03 Destruction Of Krypton (6:04) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (7:53)

08 The Fortress of Solitude (8:30) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (9:18)

11 Lex Luthor's Lair (2:54) is an edited down version of the full music like you can hear on the Rhino or FSM (4:46)

10 Super Rescues (3:27) contains music from multiple cues (The Burglar Sequence / Chasing Crooks and Super Rescues IIRC)

12 Superfeats (5:03) contains music from multiple cues (Superfeats and Pushing Boulders / Flying to Lois IIRC)

14 Chasing Rockets (7:38) contains music from multiple cues (Trajectory Malfunction / Luthor's Lethal Weapon and Chasing Rockets IIRC)

 

The rest contain the same music as future Rhino/FSM tracks with no edits

 

04 The Trip to Earth (2:27) = The Trip To Earth

05 Growing Up (2:32) = Growing Up

07 Leaving Home (4:55) = Leaving Home

09 The Flying Sequence / Can You Read My Mind (8:10) = The Flying Sequence (album version)

15 Turning Back the World (2:07) = Turning Back the World

16 End Titles (6:27) = The Prison Yard / End Title

 

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I now see there's edits on the 14 and 16 tracks albums which are worth having (not referring to the shortened tracks). And the final track is the original prison yard / end title before it was shortened in the movie, and which doesn't exist as a complete cue on the Rhino release. Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The movie itself segues from The Prison Yard to the Main Titles cue, not the End Title cue, as the actual Main Titles in the film are tracked with a pitch-shifted version of the End Credits cue.

 

Basically, the original OST and FSM release feature the main/end titles in the right spots (IE, the spots intended by Williams), while the final film and Rhino release swap them around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jay said:

The movie itself segues from The Prison Yard to the Main Titles cue, not the End Title cue, as the actual Main Titles in the film are tracked with a pitch-shifted version of the End Credits cue.

 

Basically, the original OST and FSM release feature the main/end titles in the right spots (IE, the spots intended by Williams), while the final film and Rhino release swap them around.

 

It's good to know the maestro's intentions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Cripes, I just now noticed that you are Norwegian too, Jurassic Shark.


What is this, an invasion of Norwegians lately? :)

 

Hehe, we're secretly taking over JWfan. Soon, we'll relocate JW to Norway and make him score Norwegian drama. The whole operation is run from Trondheim.

 

I checked out you website at work today and started listening to the podcast about discarded scores. Are you familiar with Walton's Henry V? It's a favorite of mine. I read somewhere that Walton replaced another composer for this flick. Do you know who, and whether he wrote any music before being sacked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I checked out you website at work today and started listening to the podcast about discarded scores. Are you familiar with Walton's Henry V? It's a favorite of mine. I read somewhere that Walton replaced another composer for this flick. Do you know who, and whether he wrote any music before being sacked?

 

Hmmm...the scenario sounds familiar, but that may be because I'm thinking of the Goodwin/Walton debacle on BATTLE OF BRITAIN (which I included in the show). Unfortunately, I don't know if there was a previous composer on HENRY V. I do know that it also uses some existing music by other composers, but I think these were mostly classical pieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thor said:

 

Hmmm...the scenario sounds familiar, but that may be because I'm thinking of the Goodwin/Walton debacle on BATTLE OF BRITAIN (which I included in the show). Unfortunately, I don't know if there was a previous composer on HENRY V. I do know that it also uses some existing music by other composers, but I think these were mostly classical pieces?

 

I love both of the scores to Britain, but it would be optimal if they used a bit more of Walton's music (and not only Battle in the Air), but I think they were right in replacing Walton's main theme with Goodwin's rousing fanfare-like theme.

 

Edit: Interesting: On IMDB I see that "some twelve minutes of Walton's score were used on the soundtrack" of Britain. I thought it was only the Battle in the Air cue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...