Unidentified music in new official Star Wars video...

Remco

There is a little video on the Star Wars instagram about dogs dressed up like porgs - anyway, it features some music reminiscent of the introduction of 'Knight Bus' with some pizzicato strings. Is this music familiar to anyone?

(Before starting the discussion 'could it be Williams??)

Could be the funniest first-listen of a Star Wars score, if it is.

Anyone familiar with JW's choice of chord progressions wanna chime in? The melody is long-lined enough to be a theme he wrote for the Porgs, though it doesn't sound accoustically very Star Wars-y.

2 hours ago, Remco said:

There is a little video on the Star Wars instagram about dogs dressed up like porgs - anyway, it features some music reminiscent of the introduction of 'Knight Bus' with some pizzicato strings. Is this music familiar to anyone?

(Before starting the discussion 'could it be Williams??)

Well, Shazam at least doesn't have anything for that music....

What's the main instrument? Is it a saxophone?

The plucked strings remind me of that track from the Terminal where Viktor plays games with the security cameras (Refusing to Leave, I think). The muted sax (?) reminds me of The Knight Bus. The melody itself is surprisingly catchy but simplistic.

Accoustically this sounds very little like TFA but we don't know if they've gone back to a wetter recording sound for TLJ.

38 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Let's be real: is it likely John has actually written a concert suite for the Porgs? Flight of the Porgs?

Maybe he loves them even more than Daisy!

Johnny talking about Episode IX:

"If I can do it, I certainly will. I told Kathy Kennedy I'm happy to do it, but the real reason is, I didn't want anybody else writing music for the porgs. And I must say, I'm quite infatuated with them. They're brilliant."

Guys, it's actually Kylo Ren's new theme in the Porg video, I think we might get a slapstick scene where he realizes he's wearing no pants...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I bet people once said the same thing about the Ewok music!  To say nothing of the speeder chase music in AOTC, unlike any action music that had come before in the saga.  Williams is the gatekeeper of what Star Wars sounds like!  Not us :) 

I refuse to have an opinion on this piece of music, but I do think it would be funny and kind of perfect for first bit of TLJ music to be the comedic porg theme.

Agreed,

But right now, it's un-starwars-y :P It may very well be part of the star wars sound from december 13 ! 

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

After every other sequel score JW has done, it's weird to discount this as "non-Star Wars-ian." Did Temple of Doom sound like Raiders? TLW like JP? Azkaban like Sorcerer's Stone? Phantom Menace like the OT?

JW's regularly shown a flagrant disregard for musical continuity beyond the customary themes. He seems much more invested in creating the most appropriate score for the film itself, regardless of its place in the overarching series it belongs to.

Of course,

But we can't deny that some saga have a peculiar sound… I was talking on a broader basis.

The bass clarinet melody really sounds like something that Williams *could* have written, very much in the style of Tintin or Knight Bus, and it's also a real instrument playing. The pizzicatos do make me suspicious, but who knows? It'd be funny if this is actually the first tease of the score :)

Continuing this theme of unidentified orchestral music suddenly appearing in official Star Wars videos, what's this?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1683243338394230&id=204841616234417

Can only listen on phone but the brass is accoustically similar to TFA's. It even has parts of Main Title deconstructed in there? Pretty layered stuff if it's just stock music.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Continuing this theme of unidentified orchestral music suddenly appearing in official Star Wars videos, what's this?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1683243338394230&id=204841616234417

Can only listen on phone but the brass is accoustically similar to TFA's. It even has parts of Main Title deconstructed in there? Pretty layered stuff if it's just stock music.

Hard to tell but it sounds more like a skilled David Arnold impression than Williams.  

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Hard to tell but it sounds more like a skilled David Arnold impression than Williams.  

I seem to remember last time with TFA, we discovered that some of the Williams-esque commercial music was from a particular set of library music where Arnold actually was one of the composers.

Edit: Yeah, this was it. The infamous car commercial music was the second half of the first track. I didn't find either of these tracks in there but it does just remind me that if we blindly heard any of this stuff in a commercial, we'd be wondering if it might be Williams. So I'll just say probably not and keep waiting for a TV spot for the film, a clip, or a featurette.

I mean, at least one of them seems to make it off the island and join the adventure. I could see Williams writing some identifier for them whenever they turn up on the island and then keep using it with Chewie's buddy. It'd probably just be a little motif, though, but it does seem like that one might sort of become its own character.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Why on earth would Williams write a theme for goddamn porgs? They are just a distraction and unrelated to the plot.

he wrote one for Ewoks

All it took was Rian saying, "it might be fun for the Porgs to have their own little musical identity." It makes lots of sense if they share several scenes with Chewy, because neither of them speak English (thus the music does the talking).

The car commercial music was the new bad guy march for TFA. It was decided it was too villainous for the villains, so Williams instead composed a villainous theme for the heroes aka March of the Resistance. The only remaining evidence of the original villain march is the car commercial.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

JW's regularly shown a flagrant disregard for musical continuity beyond the customary themes. He seems much more invested in creating the most appropriate score for the film itself, regardless of its place in the overarching series it belongs to.

Absolutly.

I don't think Williams ever truly composes with sequels in mind. That's why looking for hints into further installments in his music is moot.

I think the main culprit is Williams' desire to base each score on new thematic material and explore new avenues in terms of sound, whether it be choir, unusual percussion, the occasional synth, electric guitar, etc...

Ultimately, my best guess is that the Porg music is a library cue.

The Comic-Con cue really kicks ass, but Mr. Big is right that it sounds more like Arnold than Williams.