Jay

HauntingDeluxe_2048x2048.jpg?v=150905562

HauntingDeluxe_Inlay_2048x2048.jpg?v=150

Haunting, The: The Deluxe Edition
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 
Jerry Goldsmith

UPC: 030206118186
Release Date: 10/30/2017

We celebrate Halloween this year with a Deluxe Edition of Jerry Goldsmith's classic score for 1999 remake of The Haunting. We have been getting so much mail about this one and are so excited to finally bring it back, remastered and sounding better than ever, now over twice as long! What a theme! What a score!

Happy Halloween!

This horror tale focuses on visitors to the secluded mansion of Hill House who have been called to the isolated location by Dr. David Marrow (Liam Neeson) as part of a study on insomnia. However, Marrow is really investigating fear, and he plans to scare the subjects, including the introverted Nell (Lili Taylor) and the seductive Theo (Catherine Zeta-Jones). Unfortunately for Marrow and everyone staying at Hill House, the manor is actually haunted by an evil spirit out to torment its guests. The Haunting was directed by Jan de Bont (Speed, Twister).

CDs expected to begin shipping the week of November 20.

Limited Edition of 2000 copies

1. Afraid (:42) 
2. A Place For Everything (3:15) 
3. Hill House (:45) 
4. First Look (1:36) 
5. In The Dark (:54) 
6. The Carousel (1:01)
7. The Yellow Light (1:16) 
8. Nell’s Story (:49) 
9. A Broken String (1:00) 
10. Meetings (2:58) 
11. Portraits (:42) 
12. The Curtains (3:03) 
13. Testing (1:37) 
14. Noisy Fireplace (1:33)
15. Welcome Home Eleanor (1:50) 
16. Green House Tale / Bloody Feet (3:49) 
17. Crane’s Study (2:14) 
18. Curly Hair (3:09)
19. The Picture Album (4:48) 
20. What Am I Doing (2:20)
21. Out Of Bed (1:00) 
22. Return To The Carousel / What Do You Want (4:08) 
23. Twisted Stairs (1:01)
24. Terror In Bed / Nell’s Room (6:56) 
25. Finally Home (9:19) 
26. Home Safe (3:16) 
27. Theme From The Haunting (2:57)
28. Finally Home (Album Version) (6:16)

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/haunting-the-the-deluxe-edition

It's one of the better late entries and i really love the elegant spin it has (even the electronics blend in well). Plus, due to the nature of the story it plays out like Goldsmith's own Shymalayan score. Recommended.

I'm really very happy about this release, since it has (had:)) one of the most insufficient OSTs.

Air Force One, Small Soldiers, U.S. Marshals and there are no 30 minute OSTs any more, that basically spoil the score.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's a nice score.

With a Gorgeous theme. Not much else that made an impression on the original album (and I luckily forgot everything about the film), but that theme alone is worth giving the expansion a chance.

37 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm really very happy about this release, since it has (had:)) one of the most insufficient OSTs.

Air Force One, Small Soldiers, U.S. Marshals and there are no 30 minute OSTs any more, that basically spoil the score.

No more Goldsmiths perhaps.

There are plenty more 30-minute OSTs which spoil the score.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

No more Goldsmiths perhaps.

There are plenty more 30-minute OSTs which spoil the score.

Well, Goldsmith is a main issue and a good start for the redemption

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

With a Gorgeous theme. Not much else that made an impression on the original album (and I luckily forgot everything about the film), but that theme alone is worth giving the expansion a chance.

Marian, it's a headphone score. Apart from some blunt loud-ish moments (presumably to cut through the wall of sfx) this one is more of a chilly whisper. I think it will really profit from the expansion as all the incidental Hill House material was omitted from the original release.

Wow, someone told me this has been in preparation and I didn't believe it. It's 18 years old and I have seen this listed on so many wantlists since then. This must be a holy grail for a lot of people and I'm glad Varése is expanding it.

Music preparation by JoAnn Kane... please post some slates, folks :)

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I never got to buy the original album but liked what I've heard elsewhere.

Karol

This is so cool! This is the first expansion of 1999! (I wouldn't have this expected to be released before the mummy.) And Varese has finally begun covering this awfully unexpanded three year period from 1997-1999!

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Marian, it's a headphone score. Apart from some blunt loud-ish moments (presumably to cut through the wall of sfx) this one is more of a chilly whisper. I think it will really profit from the expansion as all the incidental Hill House material was omitted from the original release.

Is it like Leviathan, where the really terryfying stuff is missing?

Lukas Kendall chimed in on the FSM boards to confirm this release is complete!  Various oddities heard in the movie that seem different are due to heavy editing and tracking

I supervised the expanded CD assembly for Varèse Sarabande. It was quite some time ago and I forget all of the details, but we used everything Goldsmith recorded at the scoring sessions—and I even went to the AMPAS website to check his cue titles to make sure we had a recording of every cue he composed. 

There were some passages in the finished film that seemed to be heavily tracked, which we did not recreate. If there were versions of cues that were manipulated on the dubbing stage to appear to be alternate versions—or created outside of Goldsmith's auspices, even if he wrote the underlying theme—we didn't have them...to be honest, it was hard to tell what was going on in some places from the final sound mix, and the cue sheet indicated heavy editing.

I hope people like the release when they hear it. 

Lukas

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123647&forumID=1&archive=0

1 hour ago, someonefun124 said:

Is the rumor true that The Haunting theme was going to be the theme for Poltergeist 3 had Goldsmith been involved?

Goldsmith never was involved with P3.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Is it like Leviathan, where the really terryfying stuff is missing?

No, more deliciously chilly stuff is missing. 

I have to confess, I grew up watching this movie often when it would air on HBO as a kid. For some reason it aired A LOT. Being so young, I was more caught up in the art design and gorgeous look of the mansion than anything about the story or the acting, lol. I didn't even know it was a remake until many, many years later. I have of course seen the original now, and have definitely realized what a crap remake this is, lol. The special effects have become SO dated that it is honestly embarrassing to watch now. In movies like the 90s The Mummy it still works because those were such self aware and cheesy films. But this one took itself too seriously and attempted to be a "spooky movie" that it just makes it suck. However, I still stand by that the art direction of the mansion is quite spectacular. The few special effects that work are the more subtle ones where certain pieces of the house move rather than the obvious ones where mouths are opening and moaning "Eleanor!". Makes one just want to do an edit of the movie, mute the dialogue, and cut out as much of the scenes with characters as possible and set it to Goldsmith's score to just make it be a movie literally about the house. LOL.

But for all you straight guys out there, I guess there is still one saving grace that Nostalgia Critic put it best in his hilarious review of the film... CATHERINE ZETA-JONES, and her "fan service"... (start at 5 1/2 minutes in)

Some bits of the score are forever ingrained in my head, like the carousel music which makes me think of Lionheart's circus music. Otherwise, I am not sure about getting this one, unless there is a lot of good material that wasn't on the album OR the film that was never heard before.

On 10/30/2017 at 1:36 PM, Richard Penna said:

I've seen bits of the film, and really it feels that the OST is all I need from this.

The lack of samples also doesn't help.

See if this fine Complete Score Breakdown by DeputyRiley at FSM doesn't convince you this is a worthy upgrade -- note the comments by Bruce Kimmel of Kritzerland (aka haineshisway) as well; this score's original album was a terrible representation of the full work:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110033&forumID=1&archive=0

"This was one of the worst assembled soundtrack albums EVER. I couldn't even get through it. Later, I found the complete score in score order and made a nice copy for myself - suddenly it was a real movie score and was terrific, definitely one of Jerry's better later scores.

...Yes, it was during my Varese years and I saw the DAT and made a CD from it."

The rest of us are lucky to finally hear what he's been hearing for decades!

Yavar

17 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

"This was one of the worst assembled soundtrack albums EVER. I couldn't even get through it. Later, I found the complete score in score order and made a nice copy for myself - suddenly it was a real movie score and was terrific, definitely one of Jerry's better later scores.

Well the only score worse represented are Air Force One and Small Soldiers.

On 31.10.2017 at 11:04 AM, someonefun124 said:

Is the rumor true that The Haunting theme was going to be the theme for Poltergeist 3 had Goldsmith been involved?

I don't know, but at least it is known that Jerry Goldsmith should originally write the music for the third Poltergeist, but due to the film's low budget he left the project. Had he possibly already written anything?

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I've never heard of that theory before. Where does that rumor come from?

There's a thread about it on FSM from many years ago... probably over 10 years ago by now.  I don't recall the conclusion, if any.  The FSM board is painfully slow for me and when I try to search the forum, it times out.

It rings plausible, since he second score goes into the direction of "haunting" music, away from the raw, brutal sound of the first score. "The Haunting" goes a step further, so I could very well imagine it being based on the ideas of the final Poltergeist score.

Well that settles it, it was on the internet so it must be true.

i tried to watch this film once but found it tediously boring. I enjoyed the original album but I’m curious to hear the complete version since I’m unfamiliar with most of the score.

Me too. But the internet told me, it would have great unreleased music!

I just watched Rambo II and it was tediously boring as well. In both cases the music is best consumed without picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there appears to be a missing track, time error on the disc. 

There is only 27 tracks on the CD, 26 & 27 on the back of the case appear to be combined with 1:06 less running time.

According to iTunes, when I loaded the disc,  it clocks in at 75:00. 

Oh and it’s now on sale for $16.95.

6 hours ago, El Jefe said:

Well there appears to be a missing track, time error on the disc. 

There is only 27 tracks on the CD, 26 & 27 on the back of the case appear to be combined with 1:06 less running time.

According to iTunes, when I loaded the disc,  it clocks in at 75:00. 

Oh and it’s now on sale for $16.95.

I think it is pretty obvious what happened:

They decided to combine "Home Safe" and "Theme from The Haunting". This is totally fine. They just fucked up with the track list on the back of the set, because they did not update that the tracks are now combined.

And the missing minute is actually not missing. The running time of "Theme from The Haunting" is taken from the OST, where it was combined with "The Carousel". Subtracting the latter's running time it would make sense that the combined track has a running time of around 5:15. Am I right?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

They decided to combine "Home Safe" and "Theme from The Haunting". This is totally fine. They just fucked up with the track list on the back of the set, because they did not update that the tracks are now combined.

And the missing minute is actually not missing. The running time of "Theme from The Haunting" is taken from the OST, where it was combined with "The Carousel". Subtracting the latter's running time it would make sense that the combined track has a running time of around 5:15. Am I right?

Yes,it’s obvious what happened but I love watching the reaction of everyone blow a gasket over this. No one will think to email Varèse, they’ll just gripe about it on the message board. 

Lukas Kendall for the win;

transparent.gif
transparent.gif
icon1.gif  Posted:   Nov 26, 2017 - 10:14 AM     
   By:   Lukas Kendall   (Member)

I put together this one for Varese. The CD is correct. Unfortunately, the back tray card reflects an old version of the master that I subsequently corrected when I noticed how the end credits were put together in the finished film. 

This is the correct track list:

1. Afraid 0:42
2. A Place for Everything 3:15
3. Hill House 0:45
4. First Look 1:36
5. In the Dark 0:54
6. The Carousel 1:01
7. The Yellow Light 1:16
8. Nell’s Story 0:49
9. A Broken String 1:00
10. Meetings 2:58
11. Portraits 0:42
12. The Curtains 3:03
13. Testing 1:37
14. Noisy Fireplace 1:33
15. Welcome Home Eleanor 1:50
16. Green House Tale/Bloody Feet 3:49
17. Crane’s Study 2:14
18. Curly Hair 3:09
19. The Picture Album 4:48
20. What Am I Doing 2:20
21. Out of Bed 1:00
22. Return to the Carousel/What Do You Want 4:08
23. Twisted Stairs 1:01
24. Terror in Bed/Nell’s Room 6:56
25. Finally Home 9:19
26. Theme From The Haunting/Home Safe [don't have this timing, sorry!]
27. Finally Home (album version) 6:16

Lukas Kendall

transparent.gif

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123647&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=716#bottom

A similar thing happened with Varese and Predator 2 (Deluxe Edition), where the CD actually included all the music it was supposed to, but the back track card featured the wrong names on 4 tracks.  They never once publicly admitted the mistake, never updated the JPG of the back tray on their website, and of course didn't offer to print and mail out fixed tray cards either - or even simply put up a high res file up for download so people could print it out themselves if they were so inclined.  They basically just pretended nothing was wrong!

It's nice that LK worked on this so is able to publicly post what happened, as Varese themselves never admit to their mistakes for some reason.

Yes, these things happen with the other labels as well a mainstream releases for movies and musicians. I could tell you about quite a few of those.

Varese’s silence can be annoying at times but it is what it is.