Jaws 2 vs. The Lost World

MrScratch

Battle of the monster movie sequels!  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do you like better?

• Jaws 2
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    • I have not seen both of these movies
  2. 2. Which film score do you like better?

• Jaws 2
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park

TLW is the superior film, by far. JAWS 2 is basically JAWS without the inventiveness.

Score-wise, it's more even, but I'll give it to TLW in this case too.

Jaws 2 is a good film, period. It's nothing special, but it serves its purpose. Good thrills, cheap entertainment, and guilty pleasure.

The score is the best part about it!

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

TLW is the superior film, by far. JAWS 2 is basically JAWS without the inventiveness.

Score-wise, it's more even, but I'll give it to TLW in this case too.

Incorrect. Jaws 2 is the superior film. 

And better score but both terrific scores. 

Both films are of equal quality (a.k.a. shit) but TLW was directed by Spielberg, therefore it's worse in my book.

I firmly believe the Lost World is Spielberg's worst film. The most dull, boring film he's ever directed, with an awful screenplay to boot. Jurassic Park should never have been a franchise, at least not by Spielberg. I think that's what pisses me off about TLW the most. It's a shitty, cash grabbing sequel to a beloved 90's film.

Coming from the man who said "making a sequel to anything is just a cheap carny trick" in regards to Jaws, and not wanting to do a sequel to E.T. because it would take away the "virginity" of the original. Indiana Jones is different because it's based on the 30's adventure serial, sequels are in it's DNA.

Jurassic Park should have been a one off, like Jaws and E.T.

Jaws 2 also sucks though. Just not as bad as the other sequels.

Have you not seen BFG or Hook.

Thor I want to thank you for your avatar. I will get a ton of comedic value out of it.

Both scores are ones that I'm not great fans of but they both have their highpoints and standout pieces.  I went with TLW for score.

As for the movies, I went with Jaws 2. It is a mediocre and unnecessary sequel.  I agree that TLW probably is Spielberg's worst movie, though there are still 3 or 4 that I have not seen.  I've not seen BFG and I have no desire to.  Hook is bad and a terrible misfire, but I do think Spielberg was at least trying with that one (and the music is amazing of course).  With 1941, I very much like the movie that they thought they were making, but in the end the finished product is far less than the sum of its parts.  TLW feels like Spielberg on complete and total autopilot, not giving a shit whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Bor Gullet said:

Both films are of equal quality (a.k.a. shit) but TLW was directed by Spielberg, therefore it's worse in my book.

It must be painful for you to post on a John Wiliams fan forum, then.

Jaws 2 is the most (and only) overestimated horror movie sequel of all time. It does not peak out that much as a great sequel or so. It lacks too much originality.

The Lost World starts is not a copy of the first film and starts brilliantly, but it becomes a mess. Many good approaches wasted.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

It must be painful for you to post on a John Wiliams fan forum, then.

Don't misunderstand me. I would dislike TLW less if Spielberg hadn't directed, like Jaws 2. 

I'm a big fan of Spielberg, and it shocks me he could direct such a boring turd.

There are many words that can be used to describe TLW, though I certainly wouldn't say "boring" is among them. For a mediocre and unnecessary sequel, it's actually a relatively entertaining, and occasionally quite thrilling, action flick.

Quite the contrary, it's a masterpiece in terms of sheer 'setpiece directing'. The ingenuity and inventiveness on display in several sequences are stunning. The atmosphere is brilliant. Severely underrated film in many ways, and it only gets better, the more I see it (I've seen TLW maybe 10-15 times at this point).

JAWS 2 is fine for what it is, but a pretty run-of-the-mill example of a late-night television movie (even if it was a theatrical feature) with few filmatic ambitions beyond that.

Jaws 2 for both movie and score. I do however really love TLW. Both movie and score. It seems LLLs recent set really changed some minds about the score for TLW. 

I quite like The Lost World as a film. I love it as a score.

I've never seen Jaws 2, but like the score well enough. I still prefer The Lost World though.

4 hours ago, Darth Porkins said:

Jaws 2 for both movie and score. I do however really love TLW. Both movie and score. It seems LLLs recent set really changed some minds about the score for TLW. 

The OST revealed about 50% of its awesomeness, the film offered a further 25%. But the LLL set was a surprise, no matter how much you have appreciated the score before, because no one would have believed what its 100% really sound like.

I can't believe anyone considers Jaws 2 to be a better movie than The Lost World.

And why is there always a "haven't seen/haven't listened/haven't...whatever"-option in polls where it is asked for someone's opinion? It falsyfies the result of the poll! It's intended to be about people's opinions and not about whether you have seen something or not. No one cares if you haven't seen both movies, because it disqualifies you from judging! It simply doesn't make sense.

If a person hasn’t seen either or both movies then they shouldn’t cast a vote for one movie over the other. If they don’t vote in the poll, you’re still left with the same results from the people who have seen both movies.  Without the “haven’t seen both movies option” you’d have some people voting for or against movies that they haven’t seen.  How exactly does that falsify a “which movie do you like better” poll?

13 hours ago, MrScratch said:

If a person hasn’t seen either or both movies then they shouldn’t cast a vote for one movie over the other. If they don’t vote in the poll, you’re still left with the same results from the people who have seen both movies.  Without the “haven’t seen both movies option” you’d have some people voting for or against movies that they haven’t seen.  How exactly does that falsify a “which movie do you like better” poll?

Then you should do it as follows:

1. Have you seen both movies?

1. Yes

2. No

If you voted "Yes":

2. Which movie do you prefer?

1. The Lost World

2. Jaws 2

So you get the exact percentages.

The Lost World on both accounts. It was actually one of the first thorough adventure films I ever saw in my life; still back in primary school.

I liked it then and I like it now! And now that I am a John Williams fan (wasn't yet at the time) and with the complete edition released, I like it even more.

Jaws 2 has some good music, but nothing I've ever felt like writing home about. Too bad, because I like seafaring stuff very much.

Watched the film once, didn't leave much of an impression.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The first two Jurassic Park movies are the only movies which I've seen 20 times or more. Not even the Indiana Jones movies come close.

The reading's off the chart. Over 20 viewings. Even Indiana Jones doesn't have a view count that high.

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The first two Jurassic Park movies are the only movies which I've seen 20 times or more. Not even the Indiana Jones movies come close.

JURASSIC PARK, I've seen close to 60 times. I think that's my record. ALIEN and ALIENS are also up there.

14 hours ago, filmmusic said:

We should start a thread about which film you have seen most times in your life. ;)

It's a good idea. Of course, it's basically the same question as 'what's your favourite movies?', but the viewing numbers could be interesting.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

It's a good idea. Of course, it's basically the same question as 'what's your favourite movies?', but the viewing numbers could be interesting.

No, not at all.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Okay, it's heavily related but there are exceptions. I, for example, have seen my second favourite movie quite a couple of times, but my favourite movie will just be watched on special occasion, when I'm mentally prepared and it's always a little event with chrisps and drinks.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Okay, it's heavily related but there are exceptions. I, for example, have seen my second favourite movie quite a couple of times, but my favourite movie will just be watched on special occasion, when I'm mentally prepared and it's always a little event with chrisps and drinks.

Yes, there are exceptions. SCHINDLER'S LIST is one of my favourite movies (certainly one of those I mention when people ask me what the "best" film is), but I probably haven't seen it more than 4-5 times throughout the years, as it needs so much mental preparation.

Also, many of us have 'holiday traditions' where we watch the same -- say -- Christmas movies over again every year, even if they aren't necessarily favourite movies. I mean, I really like HOME ALONE or CHRISTMAS VACATION or THREE NUTS FOR CINDERELLA or various other traditional things, but I wouldn't necessarily call them 'favourite movies'.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes, there are exceptions. SCHINDLER'S LIST is one of my favourite movies (certainly one of those I mention when people ask me what the "best" film is), but I probably haven't seen it more than 4-5 times throughout the years, as it needs so much mental preparation.

Thor, I'm with you on this. I forgot I even bought it on Blu ray years ago and haven't gotten in the mind set to just experience it again in full HD. It's a powerful film and experience to begin with.