NEW Concert work: "Highwood’s Ghost", a fantasia for cello, harp and orchestra for cellist Yo-Yo Ma and harpist Jessica Zhou (Premieres August 19th at Tanglewood)

WilliamsStarShip2282

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Just that it seems to move more into the realm of painting some external dramatic picture than maintaining an independent musical architecture.  Obviously that's some people's cup of tea but it loses my interest.

I know whachu mean. Interesting, since Williams tends to approach music as more of an aural experience in terms of the details (using a certain idea as the trigger--Frank Zappa wrote very much in a similar way).

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Just that it seems to move more into the realm of painting some external dramatic picture than maintaining an independent musical architecture.  Obviously that's some people's cup of tea but it loses my interest.

JW says it does have a moment of ectoplasmic visitation which is probably what you are referring to.  You dislike Berg's Lulu and Wozzeck because though purely abstract tonality, they follow a narrative (extramusical) dramatic structure?

1 hour ago, karelm said:

JW says it does have a moment of ectoplasmic visitation which is probably what you are referring to.  You dislike Berg's Lulu and Wozzeck because though purely abstract tonality, they follow a narrative (extramusical) dramatic structure?

But those are operas, it's a given that the music is more supportive in its role and thus less rigidly structured.  It's freestanding pieces that lose me somewhat when they venture more into an overtly dramatic realm, trying to paint a clear narrative as opposed to following some internal architecture, or at least not doing that alone.  Just not my thing usually.  I find I'd rather just listen to film music than much of the classical repertoire in that vein.

Highwood's Ghost is a more engaging experience for me because the ascending three-note motif is so effective here! It seems to suggest strength and it opens some lyrical passages in HG. And the three-note motif reminds me of the Scherzo from his Concerto for Cello and Orchestra.  

An engaging listen! 👏👏👏👏👏

👻

13 hours ago, TGP said:

But those are operas, it's a given that the music is more supportive in its role and thus less rigidly structured.  It's freestanding pieces that lose me somewhat when they venture more into an overtly dramatic realm, trying to paint a clear narrative as opposed to following some internal architecture, or at least not doing that alone.  Just not my thing usually.  I find I'd rather just listen to film music than much of the classical repertoire in that vein.

Makes sense.  I know you're a fan of Don Davis, what do you think of his concert music and any recommendations?  I know he has an opera but I haven't heard it.

2 hours ago, karelm said:

Makes sense.  I know you're a fan of Don Davis, what do you think of his concert music and any recommendations?  I know he has an opera but I haven't heard it.

I love and played his string quartet "bleeding particles", there's a recording with the Arditti Quartet, the only one out there from what I could gather. 

oh and check this out:) :

https://www.dondavis.net/concert/

Outside of his opera and the piece on Gloria Cheng's album I don't think I've heard much of his concert music beyond the snippets on his site.  I can't remember which but I think there's a 2 piano piece on his site that I'd really like to hear more of based on the preview.  Thanks for posting the quartet.  Bizarre work.

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Outside of his opera and the piece on Gloria Cheng's album I don't think I've heard much of his concert music beyond the snippets on his site.  I can't remember which but I think there's a 2 piano piece on his site that I'd really like to hear more of based on the preview.  Thanks for posting the quartet.  Bizarre work.

Actually there's also a second quartet - comissioned by the Hollywood String Quartet - called "Wanderings", but I can't seem to find a recording of the work, just the score.. Goldenthal and Kilar also wrote pretty interesting concert works (mostly orchestral and choral pieces), for those who appreciate their unique styles and often minimalistic approach:)

On 8/22/2018 at 3:21 PM, Ricard said:

Just a reminder that the piece will be conducted this Saturday by JW himself at the Bernstein Centennial Celebration concert. On Friday at 10AM, the BSO and Andris Nelsons will present a Facebook Live performance from Tanglewood, wishing Leonard Bernstein a happy 100th birthday with his daughter, Jamie Bernstein, and performing the overture to Candide in celebration of the occasion. The live stream will promote the August 25 Bernstein Centennial Celebration at Tanglewood performance featuring John Williams.

I just watched the stream. All they did was the Candide Overture and then offline. This time is the rehearsal concert for tomorrow, but the FB Live part seems only to have been the 5 mins of Candide (which was enjoyable). Not really surprised that they didn't capture John Williams this way. Cannot believe his team would have okayed it. Guess, we'll have to listen tomorrow on the stream and see the PBS show in Dec.

1 minute ago, lairdo said:

Guess, we'll have to listen tomorrow on the stream...

FYI I am referring to the Boston radio stream which will carry the concert live at 8 EDT. Classical WCRB.

Also, the Candide overture video is still available to watch as a recording.

5 hours ago, Ricard said:

And yes it will be streamed online at ClassicalWCBR.org :)

Awesome. I will definitely catch that. I hope someone will record and post the Maestro conducting his piece, Highwood's Ghost. There is just something very phenomenal about the Maestro conducting his own concert piece. It is something I would love to revisit again on repeat.

Lovely piece. I might agree that it becomes a little less interesting once the horns draw the piece away from the airy Takemitsu-esque opening, but I don't think it's as meandering or even "film-ic" as some suggest here. 

The polyphonic descending motto on the winds around 11:30 is lovely stuff. And those closing trills...*chills*

I would definitely rank it among his finer works!

Just tuned in for the first time tonight. They're playing the first Mahler selection right now. After that is Copland's Appalachian Spring finale, and after that comes JW. :)

Listening to the Maestro conduct his piece now, and it is already better than when it premiered with Andris Nelsons conducting; the sound of the recording seems better too. I REALLY hope someone will record and post this performance. I'd love to revisit this.

The sound of the recording is noticeably sharper.

I wonder if Williams has made any changes to the score?  Some orchestral parts feel a bit more extroverted.  That could just be the conducting approach, of course.

Would very much like to hear the versions side by side.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:23 PM, Steve McQueen said:

The sound of the recording is noticeably sharper.

I totally agree with that. It might be the difference between the two different venues at Tanglewood (I've never been), but I also think the BSO (plus guests from other orchestras) probably just has a tighter sound than the TMC given they have played together a lot longer. And then add in you have the composer conducting his own work in what was really an amazing overall concert full of energy. I listened to about half of the full concert out running yesterday afternoon and my pace was definitely quickened. Listened to the 2nd half later in the day and loved it too.

For me, HG is one of his most enjoyable concert pieces. I like it better than Markings from last year for sure.

Definitely an enjoyable piece!  I , for one, love Markings as well.

The only thing really missing from Saturday's performance was the silence at the end, which enhanced the ending, methinks.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Spielberg is directing West Side Story, guys. By Leonard Bernstein.

He's casting for some time now, but apparently there are issues finding the right actors to play Tony and Maria (he's auditioning only Latin-American actors)

Btw, Spielberg is also producing an upcoming biopic on Lenny, with BRadley Cooper directing and starring in the title role. Let's hope JW will write the music.