The Last Jedi - Score Predictions

crumbs

The Last Jedi - Score Predictions  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is the film's signature new theme?

• Rey & Luke
    • Journal Of The Whills / History of the Jedi
    • The First Order March / Supreme Leader Snoke
    • Finn & Rose
    • Mother & Son
    • The Porgs
    • Something else...
  2. 2. Which themes from The Force Awakens will return?

• Rey's Theme
    • Kylo Ren's A Theme
    • Kylo Ren's B Theme
    • The Jedi Steps
    • March of the Resistance
    • Poe's Theme
    • Finn's Theme / Action Motif
  3. 3. Does 'Luke & Leia' appear in the score?

4. 4. Will there be chorus?

• Yes, chorus will feature prominently in the score
    • Yes, but with the same restraint as the choral elements in TFA
    • No! These aren't the prequels!
  5. 5. Has John written another 'Jedi Steps and Finale'-esque end credits suite?

• Yes!
    • No, it's just a reprise of an earlier concert suite, like the prequels
    • No, the credits feature a re-recording of Princess Leia's Theme
  6. 6. Will there be a tribute to Carrie Fisher?

• Yes, and John wrote an entirely new suite to accompany it based on existing themes
    • Yes, but it's a re-recording of 'Princess Leia's Theme'
    • No
  7. 7. What is the final theme before the credits?

• The Force Theme
    • Rey's Theme
    • Luke & Leia's Theme
    • Luke's Theme
    • Leia's Theme
    • A new theme from TLJ...
  8. 8. How much music did John record for The Last Jedi?

9. 9. Where will the score rank amongst JW's 8 Star Wars scores?

• 1st / 2nd / 3rd Best
    • 4th / 5th Best
    • 6th / 7th Best
    • Least Favourite

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/12/17 at 01:55 PM

1. Rey and Luke
  2. Rey’s theme, Kylo Ren’s A theme, The Jedi steps, March of the resistance.
  3. Yes.
  4. Yes, but with same restraint as the choral elements in TFA.
  5. Yes.
  6. Yes, and John wrote an entirely new suite to accompany it based on existing themes.
  7. A new theme.
  8. 130-160 minutes.
  9. 4th/5th Best. 

I chose "Rey & Luke" for the primary theme but it would also be awesome to get some kind of Grail theme-esque music for the Journal of Whills/The history of the Force in addition to that.

Returning themes: Rey's Theme, Kylo's primary theme, the March of the Resistance.

Luke and Leia will probably appear in the score, though in the form of a melancholly reprise ala Han and Leia in TFA.

Some chorus, possibly even mixed choir oohs and aahs, but no dedicated "choral pieces" as the prequels had.  

Full end credits suite.  I don't see why not.

Beyond reprises of her theme, nah.  

The previous two middle-chapters featured new themes before the credits so I'm gonna go with yes.  

100-130 minutes of music.  The movie is long and there don't seem to have been many rewrites.

I think it'll rank 4th or 5th best overall only because the top 3 of SW are really good.  

1. Rey/Luke makes a lot of sense, but I went with "something else" just to hedge my bets lol. I could see a ROTS type situation where he writes sort of a "finale" theme that takes over the film when seemingly all the plot lines and characters converge on Crait, and that ends up being the boldest new material in the middle of lots of returning themes and one-offs. But I also have a slight hunch he might add something new for Kylo Ren, but some sort of emotional "Ben Solo" theme rather than another Imperial March.

2. For no particular reason I'm gonna go all in and say everything shows up at least once! The score's still so fresh in his mind and the story jumps in right after TFA, I could see him bringing more back than usual.

3/7. I'm gonna say something OT, although I really want it to be a new theme, or Rey’s Theme (like the sweeping version that closes "Jedi Steps & Finale"). But Luke/Leia or Leia's Theme would be my guess. I'm not expecting her to die with everything they've said and I could see a wordless reunion being a moving note to end the film on. Trouble is it really would suck to have her just die or disappear in 9 after that.

4. I kinda feel like we would have had more indication of a big choral presence in the score, like in the behind the scenes pics. I'd like to have it, though, women's choir especially.

5/6. I feel like reprising the original end credits with Leia's Theme is something he'd do, even if he already did a reprisal in ROTS. But I think the end credits will obviously still be substantially new and I think he'll find some new angle on Leia's Theme somewhere in there.

8. I wanna say a little less than TFA this time but no idea. Apparently the 2:30 running time is still being reported so if true then it seems like he could have recorded quite a lot.

9. Trying to keep expectations low lol. 6th place is pretty reasonable with Star Wars. I will be perfectly satisfied if it's better than AOTC (my least favorite, which I still think is great) and overall improves on/enhances TFA.

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

4. I kinda feel like we would have had more indication of a big choral presence in the score, like in the behind the scenes pics. I'd like to have it, though, women's choir especially.

I feel the same way, though to be fair there was nothing indicating the large all-male choir in the TFA sessions.

I'm not quite as optimistic. The music for The Force Awakens was certainly well constructed dramatically, but it lacks that "epic" sound that is at the heart of the music of Star Wars. In these films, its important for the average movigoer to be aware of the music during the film, not just us who are pre-condictioned to notice it.

True, some of that is JJ's editing and mixing, but its also part the fault of the ensemble and also, I believe, stems from Williams' writing in these last few years: just a bit more restrained and toned down which, sadly, down sit well with the aesthetics of Star Wars. That's something that's unlikely to change so quickly, and it seems like the ensemble remains the same, as well. I doubt we'll be confronted with a large choir. Its the Hollywood film chorale, not the London Voices. It will probably just be the Basso Profundo chanting for Snoke, again.

As for themes, I assume the existing themes will all be reprised, although I doubt they'll be used terribly often. Williams refrains from using existing themes to frequently, not because in the intervening years he forgets his tunes, but because he sees it as retreading musical ground, as it were. He much prefers basing each score predominantly on new material. One thing I'd be hard pressed to see returning is that action motif (which is erranously associated with Finn), because it was used in the more off-kilter, comedic action beats, of which I doubt this film will have much of. I'm also not sure we'll see "Jedi Steps" return, at least not as its own theme. Basically, its just Luke's theme inverted, so unless its attached to something other than Luke himself, it really can't be classified as a separate theme.

Another candidate in the wishful-thinking club is Luke and Leia. Its hardly in Return of the Jedi. Williams' didn't even put it in the "next time in Star Wars" end-credits suite of Revenge of the Sith. I'll doubt if he puts it here, a further twelve years removed from Return of the Jedi.

Where Luke's theme rises, the so-called "Jedi Steps" dips. As it stands, its just a variation on Luke's theme that informs us of his state-of-mind. Not really a separate theme.

That's not unreasonable to assume. It will allow Williams to score the scenes with the villians (of which there will probably be plenty) without reprising Kylo and Snoke's themes too much. If the film is as dark as the marketing would have us believe, having such a theme leave a strong mark on the score would inform the tone of the story well.

I expect a more developed theme for the First Order.  A similar situation of the theme for the Empire in the films of 1977 and 1983.

Yes! That's one thing that was lacking in TFA. TPM introduced that epic choral palette to the series, AOTC the ethnic percussion/rhythmic elements, then ROTS wrapped it all together with elegies, adagios and some ethereal pieces like Padme's Ruminations.

TFA's orchestrations are just very conventional and stripped back, clearly by design.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Aside from the expected leitmotivic associations, I'm reallly hoping for at least 1 "out of left field" piece - something completely new to Star Wars like a Jazz noir piece or something.

Remember back in 99 when the fake TPM tracklist "leaked."  First, whoever did it was brilliant.  Second, one of the tracks was "Jar Jar's Rap."  So, begin careful what you wish for.  

There is a chance I am too old for this.  

On 11/3/2017 at 2:39 PM, Chen G. said:

Where Luke's theme rises, the so-called "Jedi Steps" dips. As it stands, its just a variation on Luke's theme that informs us of his state-of-mind. Not really a separate theme.

I think it doesn't really matter how the theme was constructed. I think for all practical purposes it is a separate theme. You can't reasonably call it a variation of Luke's theme.

I think Jedi Steps is the Luke and Rey theme or can be. Both Luke and Rey have their famous themes, so Jedi Steps can be their theme.

It is such a good dramatic melody. I absolutely hope it is used again. 

I hope it's used again but selfishly I still want another new theme. Would be weird to have an existing theme become the new "main theme." This ain't Lord of the Rings!

35 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I hope it's used again but selfishly I still want another new theme.

Ah, but you selfishly want a new theme for everyone to enjoy, thus making this actually quite a selfless desire on your part. 

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I think it doesn't really matter how the theme was constructed. I think for all practical purposes it is a separate theme.

Indeed it doesn't matter - if its applied to something other than Luke. That the track is titled "Jedi Steps" doesn't make the theme about the Jedi Temple.

To my mind, the melody anticipates meeting Luke. And its construction, just like the shots of the forsaken ruins or Luke's hooded figure, inform us of Luke's grim state-of-mind. So it remains about Luke, hence I don't see grounds to consider it a separate theme in any real way, although that depends on how it will be used (if at all) in the next two films.

Just now, Jay said:

I will eat my hat if they re-use the TFA recording instead of recording a new one

Me too.  I think it was for sure recorded again, this time with Williams conducting!

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

And only 23 likes haha. 

I'm guessing JJ will also want to record it again for IX.

Yes, along with wanting several variations of every single cue. :P

• 1 month later...

Well, the results are in!

• 0% of posters correctly predicted the film's "signature" new theme!
  • Basically everyone predicted the returning TFA themes correctly, considering they all returned bar Finn's motif (which 15 people predicted would return)
  • 13 posters incorrectly believed Luke & Leia would not appear in the score; 26 correctly guessed that it would
  • Most correctly predicted that the chorus would play a similarly restrained role as it did in TFA
  • The overwhelming majority (36 to 3) incorrectly predicted that JW would write another original new end credits suite; sadly it was an assembly of existing material
  • The eventual 'tribute' to Carrie Fisher wasn't really covered with this question; ultimately JW referenced her in the credits with a short new arrangement but it was no suite
  • 11 people correctly predicted the Force Theme as the film's final theme, but more posters incorrectly predicted a new theme. Hopefully IX tries something different here!
  • The exact amount of music recorded for TLJ is still unknown, but anyone who predicted less than 130 minutes was almost certainly wrong
  • The majority of posters predicted that TLJ would be their 4th or 5th favourite SW score; we'll have to wait a few years for a verdict on this one!