Amazon buys up Middle-earth, it searches the One Ring! (Rings of Power news thread)

Hey, random question: Is there some reason people think Meteor Man has to be Gandalf and not, say, a heroic Saruman? Or literally any other wizard?

9 hours ago, Brónach said:

I'm starting to think we're being trolled in classic Sauron fashion with the "Gandalf"

I'm not so sure we are. What was the incentive of having Hobbits in there? That "its not Middle Earth without Hobbits." Well, if it ain't Middle Earth without Hobbits it sure as hell ain't Middle Earth without Gandalf: he's THE iconic character of the series.

The other option is that its a Balrog.

I've seen plenty of people thinking this depicts the Oath of Feanor:

l2rdx0keajb91.jpg?auto=webp&s=1274efc126

Although I'm sceptical (for example, many still believe the snowy part of the trailer is Helcaraxë even though it's been corrected to be Forodwaith), I have to admit that I don't know for sure that they don't have the rights for it. Furthermore, do you think the marketing team is intentionally including things that could lead people to believe they have access to more lore than they actually have?

The have the same swords as Galadriel and the other guy. The picture could easily be from the same sequence as the rest of the Forodwaith stuff.

Why would they have mass produced swords, I don't know but that's kind of weird

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

Why would they have mass produced swords, I don't know but that's kind of weird

Meh. Onscreen the Elves were always kind of uniform-seeming: it kinda fits their aesthetic.

I oscilate in how much I like this pre-Raphaelite aesthetic for the Elves: it varies from being quite cool to being a little too saccharine.

One of the few things I didn't like that PJ did was the overly-militaristic portrayal of the Elves in combat, particularly (in both LOTR & The Hobbit) where they do that coming to attention in formation & present arms bit. Always rubs me the wrong way. 

A IMDB lists Howard Shore as the only composer for 8 episodes. Might be wrong as IMDB isn’t very reliable, but great news if true.

2 hours ago, Van_Etten said:

I believe Amazon accidentaly revealed Shore's involvement

Twice actually, they included a line about in the first Vanity Fair article too before it was removed. It's been pretty obvious that he's involved for a long time now, the question is to what extent.

It's clear he's been involved, thought that doesn't necessarily mean the final product has to contain what he provided in the producers don't like it, and it was never reasonable to assume he'd compose every cue needed for every episode himself

3 hours ago, Monoverantus said:

they included a line about in the first Vanity Fair article too before it was removed.

Its very hard to tell if that one was due to Vanity Fair seeing episodes/footage with a Howard Shore temp track or a genuine score.

If it didn’t have Lord of the Rings plastered across the front of it I would never have been able to tell that had anything to do with Tolkien. 

1 hour ago, His Royal Noelness said:

If it didn’t have Lord of the Rings plastered across the front of it I would never have been able to tell that had anything to do with Tolkien. 

It doesn't have anything to do with Tolkien.

We had her name as Carine from a production document. I guess it was one of those names that was kinda tentative: a little bit like how on production documents from Bakshi's film there's Ruman whereas in the film he's mostly Aruman.

Fellowship reported and even shared the production document in question. But otherwise it wasn’t reported elsewhere. The other names were, and I think there’s little question that Elanor, Marigold and Largo Brandyfoot, Poppy Proudfellow and Sadoc Burrows are here to stay.

Fellowship also reported what now seems a no-brainer, which is that Pharazon’s son, Kemen, is schtupping Earien. The Wagnerian in me is laughing in Rienzi.

5 hours ago, Monoverantus said:

image.png

Have they changed it, or is this just outdated information?

So let's try to understand this logic: the writing room decide to introduce an OC daughter of Elendil forgetting Elendil has another son Anarion which at least for season 1 is off screen as the article of Entertainment Weekly said a week ago . And Tolkien Estate is involved in all of this? Yesterday I read Simon Tolkien is involved as a consultant. Well he was almost disinherited by Christopher Tolkien many years ago because he wanted to work with Jackson and he broke ranks and he went against his father's policy

I don't know how this tv show is going to be but I'm pretty sure Tolkien Estate doesn't give a damn anymore about staying true to Tolkien's works. They care mostly about the money. 

17 minutes ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

What will happen when everything he wrote will be public domain?

If the internet still exists, it may be freely available on the internet as well, and you could do whatever you want with it, including nothing. Printing and translations require additional cost (in the case of translations until their rights expire as well.)

All of this "look, a corporation instead of the author has the rights for xyz but not zyx" just creates dumb situations one after another.

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think The Hobbit enters public domain in the US in 10 years.

More like 20 years, if I'm not mistaken.

That's until Disney buys it up like all the other nice things and manages to extend the copyright forever like they do everything else.

They weren't made using the film rights (they're not even films - they're television!). In fact, those who did hold the film rights (i.e. Bakshi) tried to sue the Rankin/Bass cartoons out of airing, and joined forces with the Tolkien Estate in order to so, but failed.

Not overwhelmed by these two first themes Galadriel and Sauron. But maybe I'm biased 

https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/tv/news/bear-mccreary-confirmed-as-composer-of-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-20549/

While Bear McCreary is the main composer of the tv series, Howard Shore has composed only the main title theme.

You can listen here:

https://music.amazon.com.br/albums/B0B621SXCS?do=play&trackAsin=B0B62NFLK7&ref=dm_sh_wC0Cjm01JURy6DC27xAEo4vD0

10 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

I think this article is not very reliable

On 20/07/2022 at 8:03 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

More like 20 years, if I'm not mistaken.

That's until Disney buys it up like all the other nice things and manages to extend the copyright forever like they do everything else.

Tbf Disney can't keep copyright extended. For instance, Winnie the Pooh entered the public domain this year

Good news: Meteor Man is not Sauron.

Bad news: he may well still be Gandalf.

There are at least three premonitions of the Balrog in this: Durin III talks about it, there's a shot of it at the end, but also the shot of the Mallorn leaf blowing is in Moria. Its supposed to be blowing through shafts with Mithril veins into the depths where the proximity of the slumbering Balrog ignites it.

Not a fan.

The crossing of the T-s and dotting of the I-s is a bit much...

Especially with the Hobbits and Meteor Man!

And I'm not sure I'm a fan of that village going "boom" and turning into Mordor...

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Good news: Meteor Man is not Sauron.

Bad news: he may well still be Gandalf.

There are at least three premonitions of the Balrog in this: Durin III talks about it, there's a shot of it at the end, but also the shot of the Mallorn leaf blowing is in Moria. Its supposed to be blowing through shafts with Mithril veins into the depths where the proximity of the slumbering Balrog ignites it.

Not a fan.

How it's possible to tease a Balrog attacking Moria if the show is set during Second Age? While the Balrog awakes around 1980 T.A?

Also Sauron is just a Maia he can't bend to his will another Maia

1 minute ago, A. A. Ron said:

I have no idea why you’re all shitting on this. It doesn’t look amazing, but it does like “fine,” certainly a damn sight better than the Hobbit movies.

It doesn't look bad I agree. But it's tough to say that it's going to be better than the Hobbits..

Just now, Servant of Morgoth said:

How it's possible to tease a Balrog attacking Moria if the show is set during Second Age? While the Balrog awakes around 1980 T.A?

I bet the endgame for the Moria storyline is the Balrog attack, transposed to the Second Age a-la the Harfoots.