Amazon buys up Middle-earth, it searches the One Ring! (Rings of Power news thread)

23 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Both Lucas & Jackson knew that these fantastical stories needed an actor of gravitas to anchor the whole thing.  Even Star Trek TNG had Patrick Stewart, and I think people underestimate how much credibility Sean Bean brought to Game of Thrones early on. Who is that person in ROP?

Right. Even The War of the Rohirrim has the brilliant Brian Cox!

To be fair, I think in their mind, probably Peter Mullan (who, all credit to them, was born to play a Dwarf) and Sir Lenny Henry fulfill that function.

52 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

To be fair, I think in their mind, probably Peter Mullan (who, all credit to them, was born to play a Dwarf) and Sir Lenny Henry fulfill that function.

Amazon's mind must be in a seriously dire state if that's the case.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Thinking more about this, it occurs to me that ROP could use someone of Jeremy Iron's stature.  George Lucas was smart of enough to cast Alec Guinness, and Peter Jackson knew what he was doing by brining in Ian McKellen. Both Lucas & Jackson knew that these fantastical stories needed an actor of gravitas to anchor the whole thing.  Even Star Trek TNG had Patrick Stewart, and I think people underestimate how much credibility Sean Bean brought to Game of Thrones early on. In fact if you read about the making of GOT, Bean was brought on specifically for this reason. Who is that person in ROP?

I don't know man, without serious actors, and without a very grounded production design, the show could very easily slip into generic TV fantasy, no matter the pedigree of the source material.

Bean and Dinklage. 

could you imagine how quickly HBO would have shut down GoT if someone like Warwick Davis had to be cast as Tyrion?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

He even appears in the onscreen credits as Sir Lenny Henry, which is something I've not seen since Dame Gwyneth Jones' credit on Quartet.

I’m not British but I don’t know who Lenny Henry is lol. What has he done before and why is he a given for a hobbit role in Amazon’s eyes?

I think it’s interesting to see how the marketing Amazon has done for ROP differs so much from what HBO has been doing for HOTD. Even the cast interviews have a different vibe. even the cast of HOTD seem to talk much more about the story, the characters and staying true to the source material than the ROP actors are doing.

The ROP message seems to be that they’re changing the world of TV, which given their budget maybe they are, but it just seems a lot less genuine as the focus seems to be so much on how groundbreaking it is and less so on the tolkien that they are telling.

Of course, as a huge GRRM fan and being very excited about HOTD, maybe I’m a bit biased but every bit of info I’ve seen from ROP has made me want to watch the show less and less and I definitively won’t watch it while it’s airing which is something I never thought would be the case as a big Tolkien fan lol

17 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I think it’s interesting to see how the marketing Amazon has done for ROP differs so much from what HBO has been doing for HOTD. Even the cast interviews have a different vibe. even the cast of HOTD seem to talk much more about the story, the characters and staying true to the source material than the ROP actors are doing.

The ROP message seems to be that they’re changing the world of TV, which given their budget maybe they are, but it just seems a lot less genuine as the focus seems to be so much on how groundbreaking it is and less so on the tolkien that they are telling.

Of course, as a huge GRRM fan and being very excited about HOTD, maybe I’m a bit biased but every bit of info I’ve seen from ROP has made me want to watch the show less and less and I definitively won’t watch it while it’s airing which is something I never thought would be the case as a big Tolkien fan lol

When it comes to books I’m definitely more of a Tolkien fan. I have more than an ikea Billy bookcase full of Tolkien books. I was initially excited about the TV show. But like you, the more I’ve seen the less I’ve liked.

Hot D has completely pulled me in though. It has the same high production values of GoT, it has an amazing cast, it has a true line with the music and visuals from GoT, it has the potential to be a very good show. There’s loads of potential for great stories in Fire and Blood.

RoP is made by people I know nothing about, from a studio who has made nothing that I enjoy, but seems to only want to host about how much money they’ve spent. There’s loads of potential for great stories in the Second Age, but it doesn’t seem as if they’ve gone about it right. They don’t know whether they want us to think of the PJ films or not. 

Honestly, I don’t think Amazon knows what they want from this show… aside from more Amazon Prime subscribers. 

I think a lot of people think "Eh, it would just be a blue wizard fullfilling the function of Gandalf" but I feel like if its "not Middle Earth without Hobbits" it sure as hell ain't Middle Earth without Gandalf, and the showrunners know this.

You don't play around with something like Gandalf: you don't do a red herring Gandalf, you don't do an ersatz Gandalf: you either do the genuine article, or you don't.

55 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I think a lot of people think "Eh, it would just be a blue wizard fullfilling the function of Gandalf" but I feel like if its "not Middle Earth without Hobbits" it sure as hell ain't Middle Earth without Gandalf, and the showrunners know this.

You don't play around with something like Gandalf: you don't do a red herring Gandalf, you don't do an ersatz Gandalf: you either do the genuine article, or you don't.

If they are gonna include Gandalf, why can’t he just arrive on a boat? Why do the meteor story?

Just now, Chen G. said:

We should be so lucky that it should turn out this isn't Gandalf and those bloody Harfoots undergo a Hobbicaust.

But we won't.

Maybe they will show something similar to the scourging of the shire with the harfoots?

I thought people thought The Stranger was Sauron based on the album.  Now people say The Stranger is Gandalf?  Then who is Sauron?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I thought people thought The Stranger was Sauron based on the album. 

If the identity of the Stranger is not revealed in this season - which I think its likely - then to base any conclusions on who he might be from the album. Its like...remember those people who tried to find clues to who Snoke was or what's Rey's lineage by looking at Williams' music?

Can someone remind me what the LOTR appendices tell us that Gandalf, Radagast, Sarumon, and the blue wizards are up to during the Second Age?

Just now, Holko said:

"fan" fiction

Yeah that should indeed be in quotes.

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

We should be so lucky that it should turn out this isn't Gandalf and those bloody Harfoots undergo a Hobbicaust.

But we won't.

That's about the only scene I'd watch at this point.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can someone remind me what the LOTR appendices tell us that Gandalf, Radagast, Sarumon, and the blue wizards are up to during the Second Age?

They arrive c. 1000 Third Age. So that's simple, they were just hanging around in Valinor.

Ahhhh yes that's right, of course!  I remember now!

So yea The Stranger being Gandalf (or any wizard) would be a straight up contradiction of Tolkien's intentions.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I think it’s the result of the disastrous marketing. None of the trailers have been particularly effective thus far, so they keep trying a different tack with each one. Though curiously none of them have said what the show’s about, this still feels like a teaser. I mean, most people familiar with the Appendices can piece together what they’re trying to do, but I imagine casual viewers just see it as something something Lord of the Rings. They’ll find out the truth soon enough.

I'm pretty sure Meteor Man is Gandalf. Or at least, Gandalf as he once was.

You're assuming that Amazon pays any attention to what creepy internet nerds have to say. This is for general audiences. The idea that multiple trailers being released is a sign that the previous ones "failed" is so absurd that I have to wonder if you've been in a coma for 30 years. Every major production has multiple trailers, especially ones that need to recoup a billion dollar investment. 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

So yea The Stranger being Gandalf (or any wizard) would be a straight up contradiction of Tolkien's intentions.

Thank goodness we have that bastion of fidelity, the Tolkien Estate, to keep Amazon on the straight and narrow, eh?

I guess I just don't understand this about modern story-telling. How can the cast of characters of a show be a spoiler? It is just bizarre to me. Is even the premise of a show, who's in a show nowadays a twist?

Like jesus christ. Why not do a regular story about Numernor, its corruption and downfall - that's plenty dramatic enough. Do there have to be twists? And reveals? And hoodwinking?

I am trying to think where does this originate from? This is not germane to Tolkein right? Someone remind me - but LOTR isn't founded on sudden twists or sudden reveals right? Sure there are several deux ex machina - but its not the same thing as constant charades.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Pretty much everything they're doing with Galadriel is, too

Tolkien did decide that the Blue Wizards and Glorfindel arrive in Middle-earth in the 2nd Age. This was published in The Peoples of Middle-earth.

Of course they arrive by boat. Elven ships, I mean. I.e., space ships.

So nobody seriously likes my Man in the Moon idea? He is really a Tolkien character who appears in at least 5 writings I can think of, most significantly Roverandom where he is described as a powerful wizard, and in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, essentially a collection of “hobbit lore” (although the one where the Man in the Moon falls from the sky is a Gondorian legend). If the showrunners went looking for hobbit legends, they might have found it.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Pretty much everything they're doing with Galadriel is, too

What do the appendices say that Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, and Celebrían are up to during the Second Age again?

2 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

So nobody seriously likes my Man in the Moon idea? He is really a Tolkien character who appears in at least 5 writings I can think of, most significantly Roverandom where he is described as a powerful wizard, and in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, essentially a collection of “hobbit lore” (although the one where the Man in the Moon falls from the sky is a Gondorian legend). If the showrunners went looking for hobbit legends, they might have found it.

I thought the showrunners only had rights to the LOTR appendices and nothing else?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is it possible for you to share an opinion you have that is different from another poster's opinion without being so argumentative and aggressive?

Everyone here seems upset and angry, I thought I was matching the tone. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do the appendices say that Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, and Celebrían are up to during the Second Age again?

Explicitly nothing I think. But as Tolkien wrote her, Galadriel was strong but feminine - her power lay in her magic, understanding people and their intentions, foretelling the future or possible futures, never in taking up weapons, leading armies, climbing mountains and shit, the most explicit active such action she takes was with Dol Guldur in the War of the RIng, "[she] threw down its walls and laid bare its pits" after Celeborn took it with the host of Lórien.

If Sauron is indeed Halbrand and they have some romance... then they took away everything she had because she never trusted Sauron in any form.

9 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm going to far afield with this and feel free to stop me at any point if you think I'm talking nonesense, but for the meanwhile, humour me.

This the first Middle Earth project (well, since Bakshi's) that's helmed by Americans. Could it be that these showrunners have been reared on another fantasy series - Star Wars, for instance - and are importing some of its style, including a prediliction to surprises and plot twists? I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this show seems Star Wars-flavoured to me.

Or game of thrones. Game of thrones was literally founded on sudden shocks, sudden twists.

This is third rate story-telling to me, remember a time when we used to ridicule M Night Shayamalam for this kind of storytelling.

It perpetuates this horrifying "spoiler" culture pervading film/tv these days. 

If your story is built on surprises and reveals, no wonder it has no replay value because once seen, the story is pointless.

That's not what Tolkein is. Tolkein's story is constructed on feeling and insight, of choices made and fate, about moments of courage, and empathy, it is not founded here is a sudden shock twist, here is a sudden reversal, here is a complete twist. That's just ... risible.

It's like Wild Things that sleazy Denise Richards movie from the 90s. Twist-twist-twist. 

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That's not what Tolkein is. Tolkein's story is constructed on feeling and insight, of choices made and fate, about moments of courage, and empathy, it is not founded here is a sudden shock twist, here is a sudden reversal, here is a complete twist. That's just ... risible.

Yeah, Tolkien would never include a shocking twist, like Saruman being in league with Sauron. That would be way beneath him.