Amazon buys up Middle-earth, it searches the One Ring! (Rings of Power news thread)

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I haven't really seen a good reason to be optimistic about this series yet.  Not sure there's a good reason to be pessimistic yet either beyond, "well most things turn out bad, so this probably will."  I'll of course give it a chance when it releases!

I’m usually over optimistic and forgiving about franchises I like. Plus something about this hasn’t felt right from day one. And Prime’s output seems to be largely crap. 

Weird hearing another voice read those words outside the Jackson ensemble. I assume the voice-over is supposed to be Galadriel? Was she trying to channel Blanchett or a little girl? (that's what I thought she sounded like). Though she did pronounce Mordor correctly, so there's that. Still think the whole thing feels Wheel of Timeish. 

Anyway, the title is sort of awkward.

Do we have a release date for this yet?

September 2.

12 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Was she trying to channel Blanchett or a little girl? (that's what I thought she sounded like).

Morfydd Clark is a good actress, but her voice is...yeah.

There are actually is another actress in the cast actually playing Galadriel as a little girl.

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I haven't really seen a good reason to be optimistic about this series yet.  Not sure there's a good reason to be pessimistic yet either beyond, "well most things turn out bad, so this probably will."  I'll of course give it a chance when it releases!

As someone who hated the Hobbit trilogy (and therefore couldn't really connect with the score), I'm a bit anxious of the idea of Shore scoring. If the show sucks, will a damn good score make it feel better or worse?

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Wow. As in amazing ST: TMP effects guy? Cool! I had no idea he was still...in business.

2 hours ago, Monoverantus said:

As someone who hated the Hobbit trilogy (and therefore couldn't really connect with the score), I'm a bit anxious of the idea of Shore scoring. If the show sucks, will a damn good score make it feel better or worse?

Great scores elevate mediocre or even bad material all the time, even in Middle-Earth (as Leonard Rosenman will tell you).

As in amazing ST: TMP effects guy?

And 2001...

And Silent Running...

And almost Star Wars (Lucas wanted him, but got his understudy, instead)...

And Close Encounters...

And Blade Runner...

And Tree of Life...

as Leonard Rosenman will tell you

Some of us have a warm place in our heart for that movie, warts and all.

If there's something to be said for the novelty of having Douglas Trumbull involved in a Lord of the Rings teaser, there sure as hell is something to be said for the novelty of having C3PO play Legolas! (or for the novelty of having Orson Welles narrate the trailer to that film).

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Wow. As in amazing ST: TMP effects guy? Cool! I had no idea he was still...in business.

Great scores elevate mediocre or even bad material all the time, even in Middle-Earth (as Leonard Rosenman will tell you).

That definitely did not happen with The Hobbit, sadly in my eyes, from the perspective that Shore's music was nowhere near as iconic as his LotR material and as such failed to elevate several very weak movies.

I put it partly down to the movies' lack of material to support set pieces and the weaker thematic material. When Plan 9's theme is the most memorable melody in the entire score, something's wrong.

49 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

When Plan 9's theme is the most memorable melody in the entire score, something's wrong.

The most memorable melody in Die Walkure is the Ride of the Valkyries, which is fairly tangential to the plot...

Leitmotives are not tunes in a broadway musical. Their point isn't memorably, its malleability; and all six Middle Earth scores are a tour the force of developing and interweaving motives.

50 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The score for the teaser wasn't by Shore, was It?

I don't think its by Shore, but its using his material: the whole thing reminds me of the History of the Ring.

To quote @Doug Adams on this very question, "time will tell"...

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

This is a title that we imagine could live on the spine of a book next to J.R.R. Tolkien's other classics," showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay said in a statement. "The Rings of Power unites all the major stories of Middle-earth's Second Age: the forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Until now, audiences have only seen on-screen the story of the One Ring – but before there was one, there were many… and we're excited to share the epic story of them all."

I found a longer version of this statement:

“This is a title that we imagine could live on the spine of a book next to J.R.R. Tolkien’s other classics,” showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay said in a statement. “Up until now, audiences have only seen on-screen the story of the One Ring — but before there was one, there were many… and we’re excited to share the epic story of them all.”

Per Payne and McKay, the series “unites all major stories of Middle-earth’s Second Age,” including the forging of the Rings of Power, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor (the island of men from which Aragorn is descended) and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men (chronicled in the prologue of Peter Jackson’s Fellowship of the Ring).

https://tvline.com/2022/01/19/lord-of-the-rings-series-title-the-rings-of-power-amazon-teaser-video/

I think that's a different phrasing of the actual full statement, which we were sent at Fellowship of Fans:

CULVER CITY, California –January 19, 2022– Prime Video’s The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power officially has a name and it hints at what’s to come.

The television series’ complete title was unveiled today, and the significance behind the subtitle will not be lost on J.R.R. Tolkien fans, foreshadowing an epic story that welds the major events of Tolkien’s Second Age together: the forging of the iconic rings.

The multi-season drama – The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power – will premiere exclusively on Prime Video in more than 240 countries around the world in multiple languages on Friday, September 2, with new episodes available weekly.

“This is a title that we imagine could live on the spine of a book next to J.R.R. Tolkien’s other classics. The Rings of Power unites all the major stories of Middle-earth’s Second Age: the forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men,” said Showrunners J.D. Payne & Patrick McKay. “Until now, audiences have only seen on-screen the story of the One Ring – but before there was one, there were many… and we’re excited to share the epic story of them all.”

Just as so many elements of the show itself were hand-crafted, Prime Video chose to physically forge the title in a blacksmith foundry, pouring fiery molten metal into hand-carved wooden ravines shaped to the letterforms. The process was captured in slow motion for a live-action video, which features voice-over narration of lines from Tolkien’s famous “Ring Verse,” describing the intended recipients of the 20 Rings of Power. The bespoke title treatment appears crafted in a silvery metal, with lines of Elvish script inscribed along the crest of each letterform.

Lines from Tolkien’s “Ring Verse” featured in the voice-over as part of Prime Video’s announcement today:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,

Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

About The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power 

Prime Video’s The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and one of the greatest villains that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared reemergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the farthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

The series is led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne & Patrick McKay. They are joined by executive producers Lindsey Weber, Callum Greene, J.A. Bayona, Belén Atienza, Justin Doble, Jason Cahill, Gennifer Hutchison, Bruce Richmond, and Sharon Tal Yguado, and producers Ron Ames and Christopher Newman. Wayne Che Yip is co-executive producer and directs along with J.A. Bayona and Charlotte Brändström.

A world-renowned literary work, and winner of the International Fantasy Award and Prometheus Hall of Fame Award, The Lord of the Rings was named Amazon customers’ favorite book of the millennium in 1999 and Britain’s best-loved novel of all time in BBC’s “The Big Read” in 2003. The Lord of the Rings books have been translated into over 38 languages and have sold more than 150 million copies.

According to the statement, the showrunners picked it because they needed a fairly generalized title that could concievably encompass the events of the whole of the second age. In other words, they're doing BOTH the creation of the Rings, the Fall of Numenore and The Last Alliance.

The teaser was interesting. The photography reminded me of Tree of Life stuff, which was cool. The voiceover threw me off, especially the rhythm/meter of it, but probably because I'm conditioned to Blanchett's iconic reading. The trailer music was...not good...makes me think more of The Witcher/Wheel of Time-tier fantasy than LOTR, but it is trailer music, so guess I won't judge too harshly. The title is meh.

Still have no reason to get excited about this. But will certainly check it out.

ewww

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

One does wonder if this is to become the show’s actual opening title sequence…

Hopefully not with that music…

Well, if its to serve as the opening credits (and we know Amazon are going to have them) it'll probably have to be longer (and therefore rescored): the Game of Thrones opening credit sequence was about 40 seconds longer than this.

It is telling that Morfydd's voiceover doesn't encompass the whole Ring verse, so maybe they have the whole thing in the can for a longer version of this, intended for the opening credits. With this budget, they obviously can effort to spend on just a teaser, but it makes more sense that they should go the trouble of filming this were it be their opening-credits sequence, especially since - according to Trumbull - they came-in with some specific ideas, like the water splashing at the mention of "Men doomed to die."

We shall see.

Nothing about the trailer sounds like Shore. I've got no idea where any resemblance of the Ring theme comes from either.

If Shore's involved, yeah, probably a trailer music composer's modernized interpretation.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Nothing about the trailer sounds like Shore. I've got no idea where any resemblance of the Ring theme comes from either.

I don't think Shore himself had anything to do with the piece, but I could definitely see Bear McCreary quoting him in it. Listen to the History of the Ring theme heard in The Doors of Durin, and compare to the first 2 notes in the teaser.

And then the rest of the music still retains a strong "History of the Ring" feeling through that characteristic interval.

Its like how, at the beginning of Die Walkure, you get all that storm music and then in the middle of it you get the Spear motive, as though to clue you into the fact that the storm music is a very hidden variant of the spear.

Here, too, the more obvious reference to the Ring theme "primes" you to hear that all this music is derived from the Ring.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

the more obvious reference to the Ring theme "primes" you to hear that all this music is derived from the Ring.

I see what you did there

I didn't intend it, but okay. :lol:

Another example: its like how the little hint of "The Imperial March" at the end of Anakin's theme makes you realize that's its all basically the Imperial March.

Composers want to clue their listeners in for hidden connections and disguised variations.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

When I go to the instagram post, the Prime account has deleted the responses shown above

image.png

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY6m_v9r4za/c/17922359372125727/

So it could either be that they were revealing the news before they were allowed to OR that whatever social media manager had it wrong

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

it could be that they were revealing the news before they were allowed to

From knowing how Amazon are with these things, yes.

They're very, very conscious of releasing things at just the right time.