Amazon buys up Middle-earth, it searches the One Ring! (Rings of Power news thread)

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Amazon posting, if we're honest, way too many character posters this morning. 

I agree. Too many to take in all at once.

I do like how a lot of them look, though. Although the proto-Rohirric one is cause for concern: how many plot-lines are they going to try and juggle?

I'll update it through tommorow but here goes:

FKrl41RUYAc5U4Y.jpegE

Ema Horvath as Carine, a sister of Isildur's.

FKrqx5lUcAUWiuv.jpeg

Trystan Gravelle as Pharazon

FKrjbg0VQAMsOot.jpeg

Morfydd Clark as Galadriel

FKrjKd_UYAAbiGc.jpeg

Benjamin Walker as Gil-galad

FKrjaxYVQAcTBqY.jpeg

Robert Aramayo as Elrond

XnLRl0K.png

Lloyd Owen as Elendil

FKriDhQUYAMuCkF.jpeg'

Owain Arthur as Durin the Younger

FKriO-GVQAAQmlO?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Sophia Nomvete as his wife (name not known, but codenamed "Eira")

FKrlpqiVIAQh9uz.jpeg

Cynthia Addai-Robinson as Tar Miriel

Was extremly surprised to see what one can only assume is a Northmen king styled like a man of Rohan milennia later: we've only vaugely heard about this prior and there it is!

No, I don't think so. Characters even in the movies had Rings which were strictly decorative: Denethor had one, Thorin had a couple, etc...

Even the Ring of Barahir is nowhere to be seen!

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'll update it through tommorow but here goes:

Was extremly surprised to see what one can only assume is a Northmen king styled like a man of Rohan milennia later: we've only vaugely heard about this prior and there it is!

I was wondering if someone was deciphering these already.Thanks for the work you’ve done! 

Is Weta involved in the production design for this series? (I don't visit this Tolkien thread that often so apologies if it’s already been mentioned a while back)

12 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Is Weta involved in the production design for this series?

Nothing official, but seemingly yes. A couple of its employees are credited on the show's IMDb page, and there's this: 

Also this:

NZ Film Commission marketing head Jasmin McSweeney told Newsroom [...about] some of the New Zealand companies expected to cash in on the production of season one: camera house Metro Film, drone vendor Ariel Camera, caterers Doof Doof and Carwyn’s Catering, dive safety operator Diveworx, safety company Lifeguard & Safety, helicopter company Glacier Southern Lakes Helicopters, casting company Catch Casting, access equipment vendor Pro Services, lighting company Xytech, technodolly vendor Grip HQ, vehicle supplier Snap Rentals, and Peter Jackson's well-known Weta Workshop and Weta Digital.

On 04/02/2022 at 4:36 AM, KK said:

Doesn’t really look/feel like LOTR to me…but I don’t hate them.

Really? Rotk teaser had aragorn in a similar pose...just crop out the image and these posters are the same....

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Really? Rotk teaser had aragorn in a similar pose...just crop out the image and these posters are the same....

Indeed. An excellent imitation of the real thing. 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:36 AM, KK said:

Doesn’t really look/feel like LOTR to me…

its-a-fake.gif

With the new Rings of Power synopsis and character teases, what leitmotifs do we think could be returning?

If Howard Shore is indeed involved, I think the premise gives him a lot to work with. His writing for the Second Age in Lord of The Rings is some of his most beautiful. Big choral writing speaking to an ancient history and those rich augmented second intervals.

I was recently thinking about the ‘Istari’ motif, and how wonderful it would be to hear more of it, especially in its choral setting:

https://youtu.be/Di-lYoHAxbM?t=15

Any chance of wizards showing up in the series?

I was pleasantly surprised to see speculation that one of the character posters depicts Durin. What a treat it would be to have any new settings of the stirring ‘House of Durin’ motif:

https://youtu.be/eMR9551AIDI?t=187

I like the idea of this theme being used for the character himself, giving it even more weight when it comes back in The Hobbit for his descendants.

I’ve read some posts mentioning that Lee Pace’s Thranduil could show up at the Battle of the Last Alliance. An opportunity for 'The Woodland Realm' theme to return, perhaps in a form similar to its prologue choral setting:

https://youtu.be/YkeP9Sa0ZoA?t=201

Given Shore won’t likely be the sole composer on the show, if he is being hired at all, I don’t think we can expect the same level of motivic cohesion as in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies. Perhaps my speculation above is expecting too much. Any level of thematic continuity will be appreciated though, even if just brief gestures referring to previous scores. If all we get are a couple of new suites from Shore, that’s still something to look forwards to.

On the topic of The Hobbit complete recordings, I have some hopes these may happen. Jim Ware mentioned on the recent ‘LOTR Rarities Music Show’ stream on ‘The One Ring’ that there are about 2 hours of unreleased music across the trilogy. I believe it would be worthwhile to present the full scores in chronological order with the previously unreleased pieces, in remastered form (something seems off with the final score’s album mix) and with rarities material. Given how many niche scores we see get expanded releases, a score as popular as this is likely to get a complete expansion at some point. I think it’s just a case of whether Shore wants it to happen.

11 hours ago, SUH said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see speculation that one of the character posters depicts Durin. What a treat it would be to have any new settings of the stirring ‘House of Durin’ motif:

I like the idea of this theme being used for the character himself, giving it even more weight when it comes back in The Hobbit for his descendants.

More than one Durin: There's an older Durin (codenamed "Khain"), presumably played by Peter Mullan, and a son of his, also called Durin (don't ask me how it works) codenamed "Brac", played by Owain Arthur, presumably doing his best Peter Mullan impersonation.

I guess any number of themes could work for them, although Shore or whomever would have to take the melancholy out of them to depict the Dwarves in their prime: so, in the case of the theme we associate with the House of Durin, variations closer to what we hear over the trilogy's opening credits, and for the theme we associate with Dwarrowdelf something akin to the perliminary form we hear under the arrival of the company to Bag End. I actually think the theme from "The Dwarf Lords" could be a good candidate, too.

Elrond (Robert Aramayo) and Galadriel (Morfydd Clark) could get the themes we associate with them from the films, too. Isildur (Maxim Baldry) could get perliminary form of the Strider motive that we hear in Fellowship's prologue. Numenore itself could get the theme we associate with Gondor in the Second Age from the alternate prologue, the theme we associate with the White Tree and Narsil could come back, etc...

And what about the themes we associate with the Ring? With the Diminishment of the Elves? With the alliance of the Elves of Eregion and the Dwarves of Moria? The kind of arpeggios we associate with human fallibility? They're all extremly appropriate to the scenario. Its a huge treasure trove. As you said, that level of attention to the motives is unlikely, but one can dream!

Just now, WampaRat said:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/lord-of-the-rings-the-rings-of-power-teaser-trailer-super-bowl-1234927712/amp/

Trailer drops during the Super Bowl on Sunday. (Not during the commercial breaks oddly enough. Just releases online)

Is that true?  I didn't see it in the news article you linked.  That would be pretty silly.  They're already spending so much money on this series, might as well shell out for the Super Bowl airtime spot too.

It is, although I take slight objection to the term "rumour mill" since I was involved in first uncovering it, and its very telling that just as we were about to release that, all the trades started reporting Shore was in talks with the showrunners.

Which is not to say that I think this is necessarily true - certainly not the Bear McCreary stuff - but its a little bit more than just "rumour mill." A lot of very assidious research work goes into some of these leaks!

Oh, I'm sure! And I won't be surprised at all if it all ends up being true. Just pointing out that it's not official yet!

Here at JWFan, we'll make sure you get first credit for breaking the news though Chen ;)

Hmmm. Looks like Game of Thrones-lite.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought people liked Wheel of Time.  Admittedly I didn't follow reception closely, I know my brother liked it a lot.

I believe it's been dismissed mostly as empty, derivative B-fantasy.

Based on these couple of pictures, it doesn't look like Middle Earth to me (or GOT for that matter). It looks more similar to Wheel of Time. I'm surprised that they didn't try to make it look more like the Peter Jackson movies actually.

I've been on Vanity Fair's Twitter event. The jouranlsits, who watched the first three episodes, recall hearing "Howard Shore music." Whether they're not musically knowledgable enough to tell Shore from a pastiche or whether it was still a temp-track, is yet to be ascertained but I think we'll know for sure within the coming days.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

(is there anything you do like?)

Yes. Good things that passionate people put lots of genuine work into and aren't just disrespectful/lifeless/senseless/bad suckling on established successful things.

If they gave half a shit, took pride in their work and respected the material they're handling, they'd fix flaws and do quality control rounds. Also in this thread's context disrespect will be applied differently.

The article mentions a village called Tirharad in the Southlands. It's worth noting that it doesn't necessarily lie in Harad, since "tir-harad" basically means "watch/guard south". It could be anywhere from Calenardhon to Ithilien.

Tirharad certainly doesn't look very Harad, and its gotta not be too far off of Mirkwood and Lorien for Arondir to be schtupping Bronwyn:

lord-of-the-rings-008.jpg

I also think its the same village where Galadriel's throwing-down in.