Amazon buys up Middle-earth, it searches the One Ring! (Rings of Power news thread)

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Uh-oh 

Only 37 Percent of U.S. ‘Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ Viewers Finished Season 1 — Report

Amazon has previously called the show its top original, having been viewed by over 100 million people worldwide.

https://www.indiewire.com/2023/04/lord-of-the-rings-rings-of-power-amazon-completion-rate-1234825392/

In order to mess with their stats(!), I watched the first two or three episodes with my partner and then was away for several weeks, staying with friends who had watched the rest of it apart from the last episode. I watched that last episode with them and realised I’d missed pretty much nothing by way of plot or character development. If you did that with something like Game of Thrones, I expect it would be a challenge to determine how the plot/characters got from the second episode of the season to the final episode, but it rather demonstrates how thin the plotting was in the Rings of Power and how little it made you care about the characters. I didn’t even go back and watch what I’d missed (and I have decent stamina for slogging through an entire series!).

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Uh-oh 

Only 37 Percent of U.S. ‘Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ Viewers Finished Season 1 — Report

Amazon has previously called the show its top original, having been viewed by over 100 million people worldwide.

https://www.indiewire.com/2023/04/lord-of-the-rings-rings-of-power-amazon-completion-rate-1234825392/

Numbers juggling bullshit. They can add up the numbers of individual accounts that watched any episode for any amount of time.

If 10 episodes were watched by 10 people each, you can claim 100 people watched the episodes, even if 99 of them only watched five minutes.

Streaming services do this all the time. Also with the number of subscribers. If in a year, 10 million people subscribed at any point, they can claim they have 10 million subscribers even if half of them canceled.

Not necessarily - if they've already sunk considerable cash into the resources for multiple seasons, and future seasons will entice more Prime subscribers.

The average Joe Public just watches it as a bit of fun and doesn't wish public flogging upon everyone involved as most here seem to.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Not necessarily - if they've already sunk considerable cash into the resources for multiple seasons, and future seasons will entice more Prime subscribers.

The average Joe Public just watches it as a bit of fun and doesn't wish public flogging upon everyone involved as most here seem to.

You underestimate Joe Public's ability to recognize trash when he sees it.

But then, Avatar 2 does exist, so ...

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

future seasons will entice more Prime subscribers.

Only 37% of Joe Public finished the first season. People subscribe to Amazon Prime for free shipping. Not half backed shows with too many cooks. Their popular stuff is Jack Ryan and Jack Reacher. 

The number of people who started the show was large enough that 37% is probably plenty - moreover, I would need to know the normal completion rate for shows to know if that’s even a significantly small completion rate. I think this show has done financially well, or at least well enough.

Yeah, the question is, will it continue to do well? Especially with not just such a big time gap between seasons, but a recasting of one of the major (and one of really successful) characters, much of the crew and a recasting of the country used as a backdrop, which also incurs moving expenses similar to the fabled expenses of setting up season one that Amazon will expect season two’s viewership to cover.

Well, I think we have to put "doing well" in perspective.

For pretty much any other show, ROP's numbers would be cause for elation at Bezo's lair. Certainly not the completion rate, but the raw number of viewers is good...even great.

But given Amazon's expectations for the show? The fact that Bezos wanted it to be his Game of Thrones...i.e. a world impacting, water cooler talking, pop culture defining, zeitgeist shifting phenomenon? By that metric, it's a failure.

And I think the notion that it's going to do better in season two is...naive. I honestly believe that years from now this is going to go down as a colossal blunder and calamity. Let's hope Warner's (a studio that makes movies) learns from Amazon's (a company that sells toasters) mistakes.

3 hours ago, Stark said:

The number of people who started the show was large enough that 37% is probably plenty - moreover, I would need to know the normal completion rate for shows to know if that’s even a significantly small completion rate. I think this show has done financially well, or at least well enough.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/are-completion-rates-key-to-netflix-cancelations/

However, as Digital I has observed, shows with completion rates below 50% are often subject to cancelation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2023/04/05/why-the-rings-of-power-was-a-huge-flop-that-most-people-never-finished/?sh=3b361845d34a 

Forbes seem to think the numbers are bad anyway. They certainly no more about money than I do.

but a fairly significant chunk of that 37% won’t come back for season 2. Just because they finished it doesn’t mean they enjoyed it. 

My two cents that nobody asked for: I cannot agree when the head of Amazon Studios said months ago after the show aired that people just came in because they were biased and already wanted to dislike and hate the show. Amazon has to own up to its failure instead of blaming the fandom. The fact that ROP season one got 37% of completion rate means it failed to reasonate with the fandon that  point blank it wasn't an hit show. To be fair and intellectual honest millions of people worldwide gave ROP a fair shot, a try. without prejudices and preconceptions. On the first opening weekend according to Amazon there were around 100 millions viewers for the first two episodes. If they lost 63% of these viewers in the next weekends maybe you have to think about what didn't work(everything expect for the aesthetic and the soundtrack)then just blaming the viewers and the fandom

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

That Forbes article is excellent, and pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly.

Agreed. Also I would add ROP first season shares with the last seasons of GOT not ony this

the bad fast-travel habits of late Game Of Thrones were here from the start.

but also the same issues of logical coherence and the same let's say conflictual relationship with the source material

And this is very worring considering there are already four more seasons and a spin off planned so we are very far from the ending

very large part of why I finished the series was to hear the music in context. Had I disliked the music on album I'm not sure I'd have bothered.

Having said that, I wouldn't call it a bad show, just not a very good one. There are bits to like here and there.

14 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

very large part of why I finished the series was to hear the music in context. Had I disliked the music on album I'm not sure I'd have bothered.

Having said that, I wouldn't call it a bad show, just not a very good one. There are bits to like here and there.

In my opinion the show is very bland and middling. Not the kind of let's say luxury you can afford when you're adapting Tolkien 

For me at least it  was a big disappointement. When they announced the deal back in 2017 between Amazon and Tolkien Estate I was overjoyed and I've been waiting for five years with all the best will I can manage towards the show, without bias open minded and so on also towards the people behind it. So naive of him

I can agree that there are bits to like here and here but it's simply not enough, not with the name of Tolkien sewed on it

I will watch season two and beyond but it seems Amazon doesn't care about feedback even the constructive criticism from the fandom 

For example one of the biggest grudges for many viewers was there were too many characters and too few screentime to actually care and fall in love with them. What is Amazon doing to fix this for season two?Let's double the cast for season two with the same number of episodes and probably  the same ammount of screentime:crymore:

Now imagine if, in the early 2000s, the LOTR movies had the same comparable level of quality in the writing, characters and plotting as TROP S1. They'd have been probably as forgotten by now as any 2000s fantasy flops like Eragon or The Golden Compass.

And that's the biggest problem with TROP. It's not that it is awful or anything (Netflix' The Witcher makes TROP look like Game of Thrones S1), but it is... bland. Forgettable. Inoffensive. Far from the pop culture-defining event that Bezos wanted it to be. 

The Hollywood Reporter article says that, so far, Amazon hasn't got their "big, zeitgeist-y" hit. HBO has/had Sopranos, GOT and more recently Succession and TLOU, Netflix has Stranger Things, Disney+ has The Mandalorian, even AppleTV+ has Ted Lasso, but Amazon does not have anything as big. I partially disagree, as I think The Boys is their biggest show and more popular than anything on Apple TV+, but they clearly want more.

On 02/09/2022 at 3:02 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Well I don't know. When he was sort of just trying to create a generalized "mythology for England" (an idea which he ultimately abandoned), I think he might have been fine with others contributing to it. But when it came to his life's work, i.e. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and in particular The Silmarillion...I'm not so sure about that.

My own guess it Tolkien was probably just speaking generously at that moment about something he gave up on as "absurd". But given everything we know about how protective of his world he was, I'm thinking he was more of "don't fuss in my garden" (British for "get off my lawn") kind of man than inviting all the neighborhood kids to play in the pool.

depending on the reasons it may have been considered absurd, it may not have been quite as absurd. other groups of writers have done similar things collaboratively. in fact it's what makes the most sense for the original idea.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Now imagine if, in the early 2000s, the LOTR movies had the same comparable level of quality in the writing, characters and plotting as TROP S1. They'd have been probably as forgotten by now as any 2000s fantasy flops like Eragon or The Golden Compass.

And that's the biggest problem with TROP. It's not that it is awful or anything (Netflix' The Witcher makes TROP look like Game of Thrones S1), but it is... bland. Forgettable. Inoffensive. Far from the pop culture-defining event that Bezos wanted it to be. 

The Hollywood Reporter article says that, so far, Amazon hasn't got their "big, zeitgeist-y" hit. HBO has/had Sopranos, GOT and more recently Succession and TLOU, Netflix has Stranger Things, Disney+ has The Mandalorian, even AppleTV+ has Ted Lasso, but Amazon does not have anything as big. I partially disagree, as I think The Boys is their biggest show and more popular than anything on Apple TV+, but they clearly want more.

they have The Boys, which isn't based on something as old and wildly redoes the original material to iterate on it and people seem to enjoy it, and TROP, and slow drag that discards whatever unique is in the little material that they have (this drives me particularly insane, since it doesn't seem that hard to write) and that seems prohibitively expensive, and that still needs lots of more seasons to go anywhere. it's an interesting lesson. Apple has Prehistoric Planet, a flawed but interesting risk, HBO is adapting a videogame. The choices of everything involved in TROP have been way too cynical. We want a critical darling before hand! Give it the structure of a typical prestige serialized tv show! bah.

all of this usamerican retolkienization doesn't make sense. there's so much "pg13" fantasy either original or adapted from the last twenty years that one could do. I almost feel forced to respect the Avatar movies, even if I don't like them. and those had a theme park start building before release though

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder if Two Towers or RotK would ever have been released if Fellowship was that bad.

Principal photography and years of preproduction for them were already done, surely they'd have taken the sunk cost fallacy and given a tiny post budget to beat them into some form?

It was either Ordesky, Osborne or PJ who directly aknowledged on the DVD docus that there was obviously no guarantee or 'taken for granted' that Fellowship would've been a success and they hinted that if it hadn't, then yep, they'd have scaled back post to finish the other two and try to recoup something from them.

• 2 months later...

The cast talks a bit about season 2:

The cast are sworn to secrecy when it comes to Season 2, but they did share some pointers. Arthur said: “Darkness has fallen. Let’s say that. We’re all going through a big journey in Season 2. We know that Sauron is here.”

Baldry added: “I’d say it’s a little more action packed. There’s a lot more action.”

Arthur responded: “Yeah, it is certainly quicker and there’s more happening.”

“We all know that Sauron has been revealed at the end [of Season 1], and therefore what happens when that amount of evil is finally realized? Each person throughout the universe, throughout Tolkien’s world, is going to be affected by that,” Owen shared. “There’s always going to be a human choice as to what happens when you’re introduced to evil, and is there an inherent badness or darkness in you that will be revealed? Or will you move to the good side? So, everyone is going to be faced with a dilemma, a moral dilemma, and there are going to be some really difficult choices for each human to take.”

Asked whether there will be more on the father-son relationship between Elendil and Isildur, Owen shared that “every personal relationship is affected by obviously the political and the evil and how it changes and warps the mind.”

“Season 1 is really about an introduction,” Addai-Robinson stated. “You’re setting the stage for aspects of the story that are maybe a little bit more familiar to audiences, because we do know a little bit more of these next few things that happen, that will be part of Season 2… But there are a lot of people who have never read the books. They’ve never seen the movies. So that Season 1 setup really is, in my mind, it’s really for those people who are very new to Tolkien… So, Season 2, you’re going to see a lot of storyline start to come through.”

https://variety.com/2023/scene/global/rings-of-power-lord-of-the-rings-monte-carlo-television-festival-1235648051/

3 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Don't know what season 1 was an introduction to, but certainly not Tolkien.

:pukeface:

I don't really want to play devil's advocate here but reading the leaks from Fellowship of the Fans of the last months I'm slightly more optimist about season 2

42 minutes ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

I don't really want to play devil's advocate here but reading the leaks from Fellowship of the Fans of the last months I'm slightly more optimist about season 2

which ones, specifically?

which one?

My own feeling from being in the team and hearing the information is a mixed one: I'm encouraged by the fact that Season Two probably won't have the truly glacial pacing of Season One (which was to be expected). But one also hoped the writers would look back at the sheer convolutedness of Season One and course-correct a little, but thus far it doesn't seem to be the case.

So, you make extreme time compression (the equivalent of having Maximus Desmus Meridius and TE Lawrence in the same movie) in order to keep the same faces around throughout, and then you give Sauron three faces, Doctor Who-style?

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

which one?

My own feeling from being in the team and hearing the information is a mixed one: I'm encouraged by the fact that Season Two probably won't have the truly glacial pacing of Season One (which was to be expected). But one also hoped the writers would look back at the sheer convolutedness of Season One and course-correct a little, but thus far it doesn't seem to be the case.

So, you make extreme time compression (the equivalent of having Maximus Desmus Meridius and TE Lawrence in the same movie) in order to keep the same faces around throughout, and then you give Sauron three faces, Doctor Who-style?

I mean the one about Sauron having a fair form playing by a different actor than Vickers. The leaked pictures about the siege of Eregion looks promising

And yes I hope they will try to diminish their extreme love for technicism. I hope they will try to take a step back about the mithrill stuff without contradicting themselves

Galadriel being captured by Adar also potentially it doesn't sound too bad. It mirrors her daughter Celebrian being captured by the orcs in the T.A.

As you mentioned the fact season 2 shouldn't have the same boring pacing of season 1 is already a big improvement on its own I guess

Also season two should have at least on paper less mystery boxes than season one

Also potentially we'll see more canon characters Cirdan, Celeborn and Anarion

I agree I think the very concept of this show with compressing 2000 years in a decade(best case scenario or as the showrunners said once a handful of years) is entirely wrong. Why? Because you are discarding and throwing away the best storyline of the S.A. which is Numenor 

And then you have those horrible scenes and lines like Elves stealing our jobsROTFLMAO

But let me know what you think @Chen G.

3 hours ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

I mean the one about Sauron having a fair form playing by a different actor than Vickers. The leaked pictures about the siege of Eregion looks promising

And yes I hope they will try to diminish their extreme love for technicism. I hope they will try to take a step back about the mithrill stuff without contradicting themselves.

I'm generally very, very taken with the look of Eregion in the show. So cool to see an Elf city, even if we did see scarce little of it thus far.

But!

FbwKyrVXgAAlXf8.jpg:large

To besiege this city the Orcs clearly need to drain some of the river delta, and according to the pictures that's exactly what they're doing: you can see what looks like a dried-up riverbed, replete with boats and a part of the wall which was clearly below water beforehand. Already smacks me of convolutedness.

Then we have the three Sauron aspect of it. Again, if the whole motivation of the time compression was to keep the same face, why then play-up Sauron's shapeshifting, thereby ruining that identification with a specific face that was your aim to begin with? The more information I find about the multiple Saurons, the more ridiculous it seems.

That's not to rain on anyone's parade: I hope Season Two is a lot better!

21 hours ago, Brónach said:

i hope this ends as soon as possible

For better or for worse they will do five seasons. They are legally obliged to produce five seasons as far as I know

The only way we don't get more seasons is literally a  WWIIIROTFLMAO

Anyway I've watched on Sunday the lastest episode of Second Age Show from Fellowship of the Fans and I've to say that the new leaks kill that little shred of optimism I had for the next season ROTFLMAO @Chen G.

1 hour ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

I've to say that these leaks revealed leaks kill that little shred of optimism I had for the next season ROTFLMAO 

Let your hope die. Kill it if you have to.

9 hours ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

Anyway I've watched on Sunday the lastest episode of Second Age Show from Fellowship of the Fans and I've to say that these leaks revealed leaks kill that little shred of optimism I had for the next season ROTFLMAO @Chen G.

What did they reveal this time? I'm not very diligent with keeping-up with what we're putting out.

10 hours ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

For better or for worse they will do five seasons. They are legally obliged to produce five seasons as far as I know

They've put all their sunk costs in but surely they're not legally obliged to actually make them?

I couldn't care less about the show itself but I would like it to continue to get more McCreary scores.

45 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

They've put all their sunk costs in but surely they're not legally obliged to actually make them?

I think they are, but its the sort of thing where if it really, truly tanks, the different parties will find a way out of the contract.

But I don't think it will. The show may not have had as big a following as Amazon might have hoped, and its viewership proved unsurprisingly front-loaded, but it certainly didn't tank. Season Two, however, will be a huge test in this regard, both in seeing whether it will be able to retain viewership after such a long lapse between seasons, AND because the cost to be recouped has doubtlessly been compounded by the move to the UK, not to mention the fact Warners are setting-up their own productions which might make The Rings of Power stand-out as the one making do with Peter Jackson's hand-me-downs.

A show can be bad - like The Rings of Power is - and still be a commercial success.

A show can be really bad and still have enough people watching, yes. But mostly because most audiences are just seeing it as I did - a bit of fun with a few exciting sequences.

Literally everyone I've talked to in person about the show just passively enjoyed it and weren't into the Tolkien-esque details.

just passively enjoyed it and weren't into the Tolkien-esque details.

I try not to be, either. I just wanted it to be better-written and better told than it was. As it is - just a show - it was overly convoluted and much, much too slow. I bet that pacing was a huge contribution to the show's front-loaded viewership.

They can better those two elements come the next season, and the way I see it the role of Fellowship of Fans is to try and give people a sense of whether they will change course or not.

I nearly lost it halfway through actually, so I was nearly part of that large percentage who never finished it.

I persevered as I wanted to hear the score in context, and to be fair, the last few episodes weren't too bad. What I think isn't helping things is those who seem to have a far more personal effect from the show's shortcomings to the extent that they go looking for and mock any reports of poor viewership. If you dislike the show so much, just don't watch it!

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If you dislike the show so much, just don't watch it!

I get your point but that's a dangerous argument to take too far. It reminds of me of back when Fellowship of Fans had watch-parties for the show's new episodes, there was some pressure from viewers to mitigate any criticism because "if you didn't like the show, why are you reviewing it on a watch-party?" which is a dangerous argument, because if any show or movie was only watched and rated by those who are prone to love it, any movie or show would have a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes...

It's a difficult one, for sure, and of course any suggestion that you should focus more on the positive aspects of the show encourages, even on a small scale, those with genuine issues with a show to feel silenced.

I nearly lost it halfway through actually, so I was nearly part of that large percentage who never finished it.

I persevered as I wanted to hear the score in context, and to be fair, the last few episodes weren't too bad. What I think isn't helping things is those who seem to have a far more personal effect from the show's shortcomings to the extent that they go looking for and mock any reports of poor viewership. If you dislike the show so much, just don't watch it!

I started watching it with my partner and then went away for several weeks, staying for a time with friends who had watched all but the last two episodes. Having been fairly indifferent about the first couple of episodes I'd seen before going away, I just watched the final two with friends and it felt like I hadn't really missed any of the plot from having not seen the middle of the series. To date, I've not bothered going back to watch the rest. My other half is very lukewarm on LOTR in general (just not his thing) so I was surprised he wanted to watch the show in the first place, but needless to say he's not in the least bit bothered about picking up again. I might have another go... as you say, it would be good to hear Bear McCreary's music in context if nothing else.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think they are, but its the sort of thing where if it really, truly tanks, the different parties will find a way out of the contract.

But I don't think it will. The show may not have had as big a following as Amazon might have hoped, and its viewership proved unsurprisingly front-loaded, but it certainly didn't tank. Season Two, however, will be a huge test in this regard, both in seeing whether it will be able to retain viewership after such a long lapse between seasons, AND because the cost to be recouped has doubtlessly been compounded by the move to the UK, not to mention the fact Warners are setting-up their own productions which might make The Rings of Power stand-out as the one making do with Peter Jackson's hand-me-downs.

A show can be bad - like The Rings of Power is - and still be a commercial success.

I think that even as a commercial success ROP was very middling. Just 37% of viewers managed to finish the entire series in U.S. and a bit more in the rest of the world(like 45%). Still not enought. A decent still not great result should have been around 50%

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I try not to be, either. I just wanted it to be better-written and better told than it was. As it is - just a show - it was overly convoluted and much, much too slow. I bet that pacing was a huge contribution to the show's front-loaded viewership.

They can better those two elements come the next season, and the way I see it the role of Fellowship of Fans is to try and give people a sense of whether they will change course or not.

I think that the major flaws of the show will be still there in season two. Pacing should be better but will it be enough?

Also we're going to get even more characters and storylines(and honestly as a book purist I don't care at all about most of the bunch of the OC characters)

One of the biggest grip from even ordinary viewers in season one was that the screentime wasn't enough with this huge cast, to know, fall in love and root for these characters

Amazon answer: let's add another 10 new characters in season two ROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

And I really prefer not to speak about the showrunners fetish for convoluted storylines, technicism, myths and mystery boxes

5 hours ago, Servant of Morgoth said:

And I really prefer not to speak about the showrunners fetish for convoluted storylines, technicism, myths and mystery boxes

Right. My big question is how much of that is in Season Two. We're still in the process of uncovering that, but there's certainly some.

I agree. I don't think I'll ever tune in again, but I will come back to buy every new season's soundtrack for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Howard Shore's Main Titles got nominated for an Emmy.

McCreary's score snubbed.

Much though I like Howard Shore, his theme for the series isn't exactly one of his most exciting creations. McCreary's score thoroughly deserved a nomination (and probably a win).

Yeah, but TRoP was mostly forgotten by the Emmys in a general way, and usually the TV scores that get nominated for Best Score are the same on the main categories - just like the Oscars.

I feel like McCreary never even had a chance, to be honest.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Much though I like Howard Shore, his theme for the series isn't exactly one of his most exciting creations.

I actually think it’s a great piece, but it has the “unfair” advantage of capitalizing on a memory bank of 20 hours of music and 20 years of living with it…

Could Shore be the first composer to win both an Emmy and Oscars for work on the same series?