NEW! Exclusive Mike Matessino interview - E.T., Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Stanley & Iris, and more!

Jay

The issue of one track seguing directly into the next, and it's effect on extracting digitally, is a personal minor annoyance to me in general, but in most cases, I use something like EAC to extract the joined tracks as a single MP3.

It seems to have fallen out of favor, most likely because some producers like to extract for listening on MP3 players, Andround / iOS devices, and on laptop/desktop speakers.

I have noticed that after Hook came out, pretty much everything I have has separate tracks, and joined cues are in the same track, which I think is a better approach.

In terms of whether cues are joined into a single track, or left separate, it is really case-by-case, with my default being how it is in the film, and whether that represents the composer's wishes.

I love most of the editing choices for the Star Wars Trilogy in this regard, the Battle of Yavin, Battle of Hoth etc. being fantastic examples of this.

For E.T., I'm torn in a way. I loved the way the combined finale and ascension cues were on the 20th Anniversary release, but I also love having the cues separate as in the 35th Anniversary (which IMHO is definitive).

I don't really care what's in tracks or how long they are as long as separately recorded transitions that are supposed to go together are restored into one seamless track. Oh, and multitrack cues should be avoided like the plague.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Battle of Hoth should be 4 separate pieces.

As recorded, I assume?

Or maybe even as they appear in the film. I recall there were fairly long gaps in there.

Yet as a musical track, somehow they fit so well together. :o

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

As recorded, I assume?

Or maybe even as they appear in the film. I recall there were fairly long gaps in there.

Yet as a musical track, somehow they fit so well together. :o

Battle of Hoth is like 4 pieces pasted together, Ultimate War is like one big piece.

Same situation with the combined Battle of Endor cues. I can't stand the way so many shorter cues, which function very well in isolation, were instead combined into monstrous 10-12 minute tracks. Really annoying when you just want to listen to the Emperor material without all the Ewok stuff.

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

At the very least, the Ion Cannon cue should be a separate piece from the rest (starting with the Imperial Walkers music). I mean, you even have a pause at that moment, so it's better to split it into two tracks here.

There's only a pause there because the demented pianos were snipped from the film. If you sync everything up, the last note of Ion Cannon should actually overlap with the first note of Imperial Walkers.

I know it's considered blasphemy to many here but I have no problem with breaking them up into tracks that transition seamlessly into each other.  CDs and digital music do seamless track transitions fine.

I don't have the same mania/obsession with clean endings that others do though.

I have many MP3 albums that do seamless track transitions perfectly to my ears.  Mind you, I'm not OCD like many of the audio obsessives here.

My 320 MP3 copy of Dark Side of the Moon is smooth and seamless!

7 hours ago, Holko said:

There's only a pause there because the demented pianos were snipped from the film. If you sync everything up, the last note of Ion Cannon should actually overlap with the first note of Imperial Walkers.

This is truth!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I know it's considered blasphemy to many here but I have no problem with breaking them up into tracks that transition seamlessly into each other.  CDs and digital music do seamless track transitions fine.

I don't have the same mania/obsession with clean endings that others do though.

I agree with Disco Stu.

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

MP3s (and I would assume other lossy formats) do not, though.

Not true. Ogg/Vorbis supports gap less playback, I'd imagine other modern formats do as well.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I have many MP3 albums that do seamless track transitions perfectly to my ears.

As far as I know, no version of MP3 supports gap less. It's just the players that I assume detect that there's just silence at the end of a file and cut it off.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I agree with Disco Stu.

Not true. Ogg/Vorbis supports gap less playback, I'd imagine other modern formats do as well.

As far as I know, no version of MP3 supports gap less. It's just the players that I assume detect that there's just silence at the end of a file and cut it off.

So it must be an iTunes thing?  I listen to Sgt. Pepper's or, I dunno, "Space Intro" into "Fly Like an Eagle," and I detect no gap.

iTunes "imitate" a gapless playing of mp3 (I don't remember if Winamp does too), but bits of music are actually lacking between mp3s... iTunes does a kind of fade-in/fade-out between the two mp3s and usually it's hard to tell that something is missing, but there is.

It certainly doesn't affect my listening experience!

9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Or maybe Stu just has shitty ears.

I don't think anyone has "shitty" ears outside of actual physical hearing loss.  It's a question of how much you let trivialities bother you

There we go!

BTW, Mike talked to Bruce Botnick this week, and asked about the whole analog vs digital recording for ET.  His answer and 3 new pictures are added to the main article now, so check it out!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

People would have talked about it if the T-Rex was missing its teeth.

I considered making a toothless variation...

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I saw and "in" and "the" were capitalized and I was too offended to speak

Spoiler

6364A7B7-6E52-42D5-B2CD-B3F671533D72.jpeg

720C7369-6A3D-40AF-A643-8325F153A595.jpeg

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It does look fantastic, though.

Bravo @thx99

Thanks! :up:

TBH, I never understood why arbitrarily capitalizing is the norm. Are the words “in” and “the” lesser of lesser worth than the word “interview”?

I am not posting this as a jab at anyone, it is a legitimate question because you see it everywhere these days... words like “for” and “to” are doomed to lower case and I’ve never understood why.

I mean, isn’t it crazy that the rule is not to capitalize articles, prepositions and coordinating conjunctions? I mean... Why, exactly?

Can someone please tell me why?

On 11/11/2017 at 5:03 PM, rough cut said:

TBH, I never understood why arbitrarily capitalizing is the norm. Are the words “in” and “the” lesser of lesser worth than the word “interview”?

I am not posting this as a jab at anyone, it is a legitimate question because you see it everywhere these days... words like “for” and “to” are doomed to lower case and I’ve never understood why.

I mean, isn’t it crazy that the rule is not to capitalize articles, prepositions and coordinating conjunctions? I mean... Why, exactly?

Can someone please tell me why?

They call it "title case" and it's for stylistic reasons (which to me translates as visual comfort). I like the idea, although it gets hard to know when to violate the rules just right: Is "Down By The Seaside" really worse, visually, than "Down By the Seaside" or "Down by the Seaside"? (My preference nonetheless happens to be the last one.)

On a related note, I vacillate over whether the albums are best relabeled in my iTunes library as "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope", "Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope", "Star Wars: A New Hope" [no "Episode 4" at all], "Star Wars: Episode 4 — A New Hope", or something else. Right now I prefer the last one. Something about two colons in the same line never sits quite right with me. That third option is mostly a nonstarter for me because without the episode number the alpha order of the albums doesn't reflect the actual order of the series. But then again, it seems this is how this third trilogy is often being referenced..

1 minute ago, Scintillating_CA said:

They call it "title case" and it's for stylistic reasons (which to me translates as visual comfort). I like the idea, although it gets hard to know when to violate the rules just right: Is "Down By The Seaside" really worse, visually, than "Down By the Seaside" or "Down by the Seaside"? (My preference nonetheless happens to be the last one.)

On a related note, I vacillate over whether the albums are best relabeled in my iTunes library as "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope", "Star Wars: Episode 4: A New Hope", "Star Wars: A New Hope" [no "Episode 4" at all], "Star Wars: Episode 4 — A New Hope", or something else. Right now I prefer the last one. Something about two colons in the same line never sits quite right with me. That third option is mostly a nonstarter for me because without the episode number the alpha order of the albums doesn't reflect the actual order of the series. But then again, it seems this is how this third trilogy is often being referenced..

I have all the Star Wars soundtracks in my iTunes with the template of:

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

And for the original trilogy, where I have both the OSTs and the '97 editions, one is always labeled:

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (OST)

Not very elegant, but it gets the job done.