La La Land Records Black Friday 2017

Laserschwert

I think releasing three Harry Potter expansions in one set would be a poor business decision.

Priced at $20-30 depending on the number of discs, a one-film expansion would be a guaranteed seller.

A $70-100 commitment is a harder sell.

IMO

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I think releasing three Harry Potter expansions in one set would be a poor business expansion.

Priced at $20-30 depending on the number of discs, a one-film expansion would be a guaranteed seller.

A $70-100 commitment is a harder sell.

IMO

I disagree. I think they'd sell a lot fewer of COS than the other two and fewer of PS than Azkaban. Bundle them all and you have a chance of selling to each of the fans who are only after 1 of the 3. I'd release the Potters as 3 composer bundles + GOF. Gets the scores out faster and forces many people to buy more or go without.

I think there's a lot of crossover success to be had with Potter fans who aren't necessarily the film score regulars, and my thought was that the price tag of a big boxset would be a turn off. 

However, I forget that some of these movies have sessions leaks.  The question mark of lost sales re: bootlegs could be ameliorated by bundling the scores with Azkaban.  Then again, if bootlegs are good enough for some people, surely some would just pirate Azkaban when it's released as well.

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I disagree. I think they'd sell a lot fewer of HP 4 to 8 than the first three and fewer of PS and COS than Azkaban. Bundle them all and you have a chance of selling to each of the fans who are only after 1 of the 8. I'd release the Potters as a single massive set.

Now that really would cost too much for many fans.

Idk, MV said they'd "really outdone themselves" for this year's Black Friday. After last year, that makes me think they're gonna blow their load on one or more releases as huge and unexpected as the Jurassic Park box. At least, I hope so.

Price tags don't seem to matter when WB is involved. Remember how they put out that horrendous Wizard's Collection? Everyone with brains could tell from day one it wasn't going to sell, and it didn't, yet they persisted.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Price tags don't seem to matter when WB is involved. Remember how they put out that horrendous Wizard's Collection? Everyone with brains could tell from day one it wasn't going to sell, and it didn't, yet they persisted.

You mean the big red box that sold out?

7 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Maybe the seventh disc is full of alternates and bonus tracks?

I'm not familiar enough with the scores (and obviously the session leaks are enormous for HP1 and HP2) but is this realistically an outcome? Azkaban, being the shorter score, would surely fit on two discs... but maybe we're underestimating the amount of alternates Williams recorded?

The other two scores though...

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm not familiar enough with the scores (and obviously the session leaks are enormous for HP1 and HP2) but is this realistically an outcome? Azkaban, being the shorter score, would surely fit on two discs... but maybe we're underestimating the amount of alternates Williams recorded?

The other two scores though...

If you leave off the OSTs, I'm sure you could fit all 3 scores across 6 discs, but our own Jason Leblanc commented on an FSM thread a few years ago saying he thought HP1 deserved a solid 3 disc release and MV seemed to agree. Don't remember if that's because they wanted to preserve the OST program or what.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

There would be zero reason to preserve the OST program for any of the Harry Potter scores.

I imagine the only time an OST is preserved on an expanded set is if it's from the LP days, were the program was short enough and in possible need of a cleaning.  And in some cases, containing new music or re-recordings.  That doesn't really happen much any more, at least as far as I can tell.

7 discs?

And it is only half of the series?

It must be the Star Wars prequel. And the second half is the classic trilogy.

2 CDs for each episode, and a bonus disc for alternates and suites!

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The 14 discs aren’t all for one release. It’s the total number of discs that are planned to be released. The breakdown of how many different scores is unknown. 

So what you're saying is that they're releasing THE ENTIRE STAR WARS SAGA INCLUDING THE FORCE AWAKENS???

15 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

None of them will do it. It will be released on Disney’s label if it ever happens. 

More than likely, yes. But intrada would probably have the best shot if it were to go through the labels.

39 minutes ago, ManofDestiny said:

7 discs?

And it is only half of the series?

It must be the Star Wars prequel. And the second half is the classic trilogy.

2 CDs for each episode, and a bonus disc for alternates and suites!

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

7 CDs... PS x2, COS x2, POA x2 and a 7th disc with further alternates?

:P

No idea, although It's more likely Harry Potter seeing as The Last Jedi is coming out this year.

I was merely pointing out the similarity of your post to Crumbs!

14 discs? That would be all Potter movies. Makes the most sense (if it isn't another tv series). I sure would bundle them together since the second half only sells on the wings of the three Williams scores.

I find all the discussion based off of MV's post here interesting.  I didn't find anything he said nebulous or confusing at all, and I'm surprised how many assumptions people drew from it.

Here's the post again just in case Facebook ever eats it, and its not on this page anyway

Just spent the weekend with 7 cds worth of product we plan on announcing for BLACK FRIDAY and that's just HALF of what we have penciled in for our big release date this year!

HORN TOOTING ALERT: We may have outdone ourselves this year with this slate. Now we play the approval waiting game as to what makes it and what gets released in 2018!
Start saving them dollah's 'cus this batch is gonna make ya hollah!

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10155939087978755

He's simply saying he spent the weekend listening to some Black Friday titles that have already been mastered.  "7 CDs worth of product" could be a 4CD set and a 3CD set, a 6CD set and a single disc release, three 2CD sets and a single disc, etc etc  - lots of possibilities.

These aren't clues, he's not providing any information to let people guess what they are, just telling people to set money aside because its going to be more expensive than usual, and full of more titles that will sell out faster than usual.

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

These aren't clues, he's not providing any information to let people guess what they are, just telling people to set money aside because its going to be more expensive than usual, and full of more titles that will sell out faster than usual.

My dreams! My hopes and dreams! They hurt.....

THE PAIN!!!

maxresdefault.jpg