La La Land Records Black Friday 2017

Laserschwert

Right, the problem is that HP1 itself would need 3 discs.  HP2 and HP3 would each only require 2.  But the question is, is there enough space left at the end of the HP3 disc to fit all the rest of the HP1 music or not.  Depends on how much of the HP3 alternates were recorded, which we have no way of knowing.

That's not true.  The complete score, the children's suite, all the alternates, and the trailer music is too much music to fit on two 79 minute CDs.

Just now, Muldoon said:

Unless you include the OST, there would be no reason HP1 would need 3 discs.

Remember that the HP1 sessions are not complete: there is that cut off cue ending and the teaser music missing

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Right, the problem is that HP1 itself would need 3 discs.  HP2 and HP3 would each only require 2.  But the question is, is there enough space left at the end of the HP3 disc to fit all the rest of the HP1 music or not.  Depends on how much of the HP3 alternates were recorded, which we have no way of knowing.

The children's suite would probably fit on the second disc of the second film, since CoS is remakably shorter due to the tracked music.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

That's not true.  The complete score, the children's suite, all the alternates, and the trailer music is too much music to fit on two 79 minute CDs.

Do we need all the alternates?

Karol

Asking as someone who is not really into this score all that much, is there anything significant there? Or are they just "gong entering a second later" type of alternates?

In other words, are there any Binary Sunsets there?

Karol

I'm not saying they need to include alternate TAKES, but they need to include TRUE alternates.  Ones where he went back on another day, wrote different music, had new sheet music made, and they recorded that.  Some cues drastically changed, like Owl's Flight.

Just listen to the session leak and see for yourself.

HP3 might need 3 discs as well. We know some alternates were definitely recorded, such as the alternate finale to the First Frozen Lake, an alternate for Train to Hogwarts, Portrait Scene etc., plus source music.

4 hours ago, Fal said:

Remember that the HP1 sessions are not complete: there is that cut off cue ending and the teaser music missing

Something screwy happened to that ending; if you look at the rear channels of the DVD mix the music just disappears at about the same spot. And the teaser music was recorded separately, in 2000, and the second trailer cue was recorded a few months before the film's actual scoring sessions, so there's no reason to consider those "missing" from the bootleg.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Lazy is not the right word.  It was the exact opposite of laziness that led to this situation.  He had over-committed himself, couldn't possibly devote the necessary time.  Right?  It's definitely unfortunate, though.

Williams had his writing schedule carefully set out for the year (just look at all the films he had to do in 2002, including a Star Wars!) but one of the Spielberg films had its scoring schedule bumped around, which was outside of Williams's control. Well shit, now he had to change his timetable and it was basically impossible to fully accommodate HP2 at this point. So he didn't necessarily bite off more than he could chew, he just wasn't lucky enough to have things turn out the way he had anticipated. To give you an idea of how far ahead Williams plots out his timetable, he hadn't even spotted the film by the time he offered the job to Ross.

I don't understand why CoS gets all the distaste it does, just because Williams didn't personally write each note (actually I probably just stated the problem right there). But it wasn't as if Ross emulated Williams as a formality, Williams instead was very meticulous about what plays here and how it should sound here. If Williams had written the score 100% himself I bet it would sound more or less the same as it is - but with a little more daring variation for the recycled material. But it's not like we lost out on a Prisoner of Azkaban. And as Jay says, the amount of original material in CoS is way more than you'd think.

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The songs he wrote for this one, which are barely used in the score itself, are quite different, but I don't see where you're coming from really.  The score heard in film is very very far from "quite different in character" to my ears.

I do prefer the HA2 score.

I'm not a fan of Christmas Star, and I don't like the song version of the other song (it's underscore variations are much better). But stuff like Duncan's Toy Store and To the Plaza, Presto are standouts, and define the score's more bustling character. I also adore the big orchestral setting of Adeste fideles, though I believe Williams didn't arrange that personally.

This Summer we got stuck with 3 high profile releases where our regular manufacturer didn't make them and we had to use Sony's plant (The Great Race) and UMG's plant (Waterworld and ET) as per our contracts. In the past, they were pretty reliable when it came to delivery times (sometimes arriving even early), but this summer that wasn't the case (ironically the vinyl boom has slowed down the cd process because of all the extra work that goes into those deals. It's one time we can all feel sorry for the lawyers! lol). To worsen matters, the ET Disc 1 debacle caused an even further delay. 

Luckily, for the Nov 28 titles we have releases that will either be made through our manufacturer or through the other manufacturers we are contracted with and already have the projects approved, done and into the plant very early to make sure we make the Nov 28 release/ship date (traditionally our biggest release date of the year). Four of the planned six titles are safely away, with another two waiting for final approval. Truth be told, as of today, it is looking like only one of those 2 will make it for Nov 28 while the other will be pushed back to a mid to late Jan 2018 release.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=121737&forumID=1&archive=0

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 5 titles it is!

We made an executive decision today to delay title #6 and have it come out Jan 23, 2018. It gives us enough time to get some extra work done on the project and make sure it's the best possible presentation of the music.

I'm sure there will be some tears shed but that's just the way this cookie crumbles.

(and NO that's not a hint of any sorts)

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=1&forumID=1&threadID=121737&archive=0

I'd say it's very likely, it was only approved very recently. Actually, we don't even know it it was ever in the original six.

MV may say "some tears shed" but if we don't know what the title is that's been delayed, who can be upset?

Unless their 5 releases doesn't contain anything very earth-shattering, then I guess everyone will be assuming Potter is coming in January...

That's why I think its Buffy, as they have previously discussed how that is in the works, and this year is the 20th anniversary of the show premiering.  

The other 4 titles are all mysteries that haven't had any clues given so you're right, how could tears be shed.

Also, something that covers 7 seasons of a show sounds more likely to need to take more time to get it right than a release for a single movie.

The desire to 'get it right' would imply that they're still choosing the music/sequencing/packaging. If they were aiming to have it ready a month from now, wouldn't they be a lot further along than that?

Unless the delay was manufacturing related and they decided to use the delay to do some unrelated creative improvements.

LLL Black Friday pricing:

LLLCD 1433 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $29.98

LLLCD 1439 – 1 CD – LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS - $19.98

LLLCD 1446 – 4 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $49.98

LLLCD 1447 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $29.98

LLLCD 1450 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS - $29.98

Source: Facebook

Here's the complete post with proper sourcing ;)

As promised, here are the breakdowns on the upcoming “Black Friday” titles:

LLLCD 1433 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $29.98
LLLCD 1439 – 1 CD – LIMITED EDITION OF 2000 UNITS - $19.98
LLLCD 1446 – 4 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $49.98
LLLCD 1447 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS - $29.98
LLLCD 1450 – 2 CD SET – LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS - $29.98
See you at 12:01 am pst Nov 24, 2017 for the big letdown...I mean, unveiling!
 :)

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/posts/10156072165978755

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The 4-CD set will be music from some Star Trek show.

Or from some modern superhero TV show.

See you at 12:01 am pst Nov 24, 2017 for the big letdown...I mean, unveiling! :) 

OK now they got my hopes up because I'll interpret that as the complete opposite.

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

HP1-3, 4 cds of Titanic and something else I don't care about.

CE3K 40th must be there... because it can't be released the year ot its 41th birthday!!!

Well... They could do 1 and 2 now, 3 and 4 later etc... because the alternative would be 4 on its own... because that's how they did the Ultimate Edition DVDs... and because I just want some HP this year.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Why would they do a HP/Williams box set without the third score?

Because maybe they’re doing all 8 over a period of time and there’ll be two films per set? 

1-2

3-4

5-6

7-8

That kinda keeps composers together.