Rian Johnson developing a fourth Star Wars trilogy... Oh my..

crocodile

12 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Not necessarily, I'm sure Phasma's return will be given some expositionary allocation. 

Her return might me acknowledged by the details of her escape won’t be mentioned.

Thank God too because that comic was lame!

7 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The average movie goer has better than things to do than care about Phasma’s survival though. 

Fixed.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

The average moviegoers don't care about how Phasma survived the explosion of Death Star III. They'll just assume she escaped somehow. That is, if they even remember her from TFA.

Ha, saw this after my post.  Should've known BB had gotten there first!

I certainly don't give a crap about any explanation for how she got off.  Leave it to dumb comics I'll never read to do that.

Even before TLJ casting announcements, I assumed Captain Phasma would escape and be in the next movie.  Our heroes wrangled their way out of an enemy trash compactor pretty easily in 1977, and Kylo Ren/Rey/Finn/Chewie all escaped the planet expeditiously, after a significant period of time.  No reason to assume that Phasma wouldn't be able to escape in due time.

• 2 weeks later...

I was interested in the Old Republic when I thought there could be a single player resolution to Revan's story. The Star Wars galaxy is so technologically and culturally stagnant that there is effectively no difference between the two eras, but if RJ wants to abandon the Skywalker family, there are less radical ways to do so. 

I don’t care what “era” Johnson’s story is set in, although it would be kind of neat to see something -somewhat- separate from the timeline of the movies we’ve seen thus far.

Regardless, I can’t imagine that Johnson’s from-scratch story is going to interact with “Legends”/non-canonical material in any meaningful way.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Really?  I sincerely hope it’s not.  No need to go anywhere near ground that’s been covered in any medium.

Like the post Return of the Jedi era?

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I don’t care what “era” Johnson’s story is set in, although it would be kind of neat to see something -somewhat- separate from the timeline of the movies we’ve seen thus far.

Regardless, I can’t imagine that Johnson’s from-scratch story is going to interact with “Legends”/non-canonical material in any meaningful way.

Of course not. If they went backwards into the Old Republic there’d be little to no connection with the KotR video games. 

I could definitely see something leading to the founding of the Jedi Knights/Schism with Darth Bane/founding of the Republic type story.

Loads of potential there to tie in with all three existing trilogies.

• 2 weeks later...

Rian Johnson says no to Old Republic

"Oh, they love Knights of the Old Republic," Johnson told my colleague Laura Prudom at a Last Jedi press event on Sunday. "I played that game when it first came out and it was like, god, I loved it. Yeah, that’s a fantastic game. And I understand it, the instinct to automatically go to something that you know and love, that you’ve already seen." 

And yet Johnson rejects that instinct. "To me," he says, "what’s really fun is the notion of what new stuff are we gonna see, what new stories can we tell?"

I think people were looking for a film set in the Old Republic (as in 1000 years before the existing films) rather than an adaptation of the pre-existing lore. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I think people were looking for a film set in the Old Republic (as in 1000 years before the existing films) rather than an adaptation of the pre-existing lore. 

That's a very hard sell. It would need way too much exposition to establish how this new Old Republic differs from the period shown in the games, and for the 80% of the movie viewing public that never heard of the games or read its comics, they'd totally be lost.

And really as the games wear on, you can ignore the fact they're set so far in the past because so much is still the same. The movie going public would ask why they felt the need to create something so new and distant without a major media campaign surrounding it. 

We don't want super detached prequels to the prequels. We want to see the rest of the galaxy in the timeframe we're basically familiar with. 

• 4 weeks later...

I find it hard to believe that start date is accurate. One does not simply develop an entire trilogy and complete pre production on the first film in 6 months.

god I hope not, if they have one director and writer for every movie (Rian Johnson) then he better come up with a broad plan for things so they don't seem as contradictory or non-sequential like the sequel trilogy, where each movie is essentially a 'pick up from the other one's mess' rather than continuing a trilogy.

Yeah, he could've been planning it through TLJ post, and then he had 3 months of nothing to do until the premiere, and still 6 months to go until this supposed filming... For all we know, it could just be an extended prologue sequence or a flashback, which can be shot way in advance and won't change anymore.

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm pretty sure they've plotted the entire trilogy out by now, they're just writing the script. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson's trilogy had been in the works for a while as well.

You don't that, unless you intend to shot the whole thing at the same time as well.

Since this is going to be a trilogy, they should have it all planned out and film it all at the same time.  Maybe that's what they're doing since they're starting relatively early.

This technique of writing and shooting sequels simultaneously, which became very fashionable after Lord of the Rings, is sort of dying out as a trend. If Marvel isn't doing it, ain't no reason Star Wars will. Especially seeing how they didn't do it with this trilogy.

Even when they do do it, they usually shot the first one, and than shot films 2 and 3 at the same time, a-la Pirates of the Caribbean.

This anticipation for film series' that are mapped out from the beginning is hurting people's enjoyment of The Last Jedi, and it will do the same with this new trilogy, as well. I'm not saying that they shouldn't do it: they should. But since they probably won't do it, its best to make peace with it rather than deluding one's self.

14 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

The Ben Quadinaros origin story couldn't come soon enough!

The story of how he acquired the faulty power coupling that would ultimately be his undoing.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You don't that, unless you intend to shot the whole thing at the same time as well.

Well we have no idea what production will be like. They could be handling these films differently. Maybe will get a new film every year or something, I dunna. 

• 4 weeks later...

Star Wars: Maybe a Rian Johnson trilogy isn’t such a great idea after all

...can Star Wars sustain three more The Last Jedi debacles? The Last Jedi‘s billion-dollar box office win was driven in part by The Force Awakens as fans clambered to see what happened next. Thanks to word of mouth and fans’ reactions, the film dropped 69 percent in its second weekend. Furthermore, it didn’t land well in China and Jumanji pretty much took over during the holidays.

Disney, Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy are in the billion-dollar game now and don’t want to gamble with three films that can’t hit a billion. If a portion of the fandom (and a very important portion of it, unfortunately, as die-hard fans generate a lot of revenue) don’t like Johnson, combined with Johnson’s social media temperament and inability to stop Rian-splaining, maybe the studio should think about quietly putting that project on the back burner for, like, ever.

While I wouldn't call TLJ's 1.3 billion a "debacle" in terms of box office, it does IMO have some warning signs for the future of the franchise, especially once they get away from the non-Saga films. And it certainly was at least partially a debacle in terms of fan reaction to the film, and for the most part I agree with this (as loathe as I am to recommend an article written by someone named "Buckie Wells). As I was saying earlier, Lucasfilm is going to need these hard core fans to show up in force once the Star Wars mania dies down (and it's already starting to).

They're already planning on de-emphasing the Han Solo film's connection to Star Was in the promotion (EDIT: in China).  When you have to separate your movie from Star Wars, that's not a good sign, no matter what the market.  Again, where are they without the hard core fans?

23 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

They're already planning on de-emphasing the Han Solo film's connection to Star Was in the promotion.  When you have to separate your movie from Star Wars, that's not a good sign, no matter what the market. 

Huh? How exactly are they doing that?