Rian Johnson developing a fourth Star Wars trilogy... Oh my..

crocodile

I've been listening to Lockhart's Star Wars renditions a fair bit lately in the car, they're very good. The Jedi Steps track is the definitive version we have of that cue now, and it's excellent in concert arr. form. In fact I think it's the best concert arrangement movie piece from Williams in many years.

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Agreed on the music volume. How is the beginning of "New Alliance" not a motif, though? I need to listen to the low woodwinds in I think "Who Are You?" if that's another variation of the motif.

Just listened; definitely not the motif.

I don't remember any of the new characters. I just remember seeing the old cast and wishing it had focused on them and that Luke and Han appeared together. It's like going to see a new Ghostbusters that focuses on crappy new characters you don't care about. These movies all suck.

I've always disliked the OST version of March of the Resistance and, other than the terrible brass-heavy mixing, I've never been able to pinpoint exactly why. Thank you @mrbellamy for putting it so succinctly and demonstrating how small tweaks to the conducting can really affect your opinion of a piece.

Gotta wonder how the piece would have fared with Williams conducting rather than Dudamel? Subsequent re-recordings have all sounded superior to my ears. Lockhart truly nailed the spirit of the piece IMO.

I felt the same listening to many of TFA's cues performed masterfully by the MSO. Many were a vast improvement on the freelance LA counterparts (sorry, not sorry!) simply because you could hear a more balanced mix of the entire orchestra.

Gotta disagree chaps. Don't get me wrong I enjoy Lockhart's lively version, but I still think the Williams directed original is vastly superior to it in every aspect: performance, verve, mix and general all important boom-tish. No contest for me.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I always think of this little section, love how the flutes really sing out and sound like military fifes, and the punch of those BUM BADADUM DUMs in the low brass/timpani

Given how that's the second best part of the cue (after the barnstorming finale of the Williams original), I have to further disagree. In the passage mentioned, I find the original to be much more purposeful and full bodied, the perfect beat at which the horns take enhanced precedence provides a meaty and stern texture which I will just always have plenty of time for when it's coming from a Williams composition. That section actually disappointed me somewhat in the Lockhart version. But I do appreciate that it's a slightly different take, which is perfectly worthwhile in itself.

Yeah, it's a preference thing. I agree that either way that particular section is a highlight in both versions and they're both fine recordings/performances, but when I first heard the Lockhart I found the sound of it really refreshing rather than disappointing and still would rather go back to that in the end. Different sort of shift in intensity there, more light-footed but still highly enjoyable. 

I just think that tighter clip and the ability to hear certain things better, like specific contrasts and the typical way Williams has the orchestra trading things off, suits the composition more and even reminds me more of the overall happy-go-lucky tone of the film while still retaining the piece's essential militaristic character. I appreciate the more deliberate pacing of the OST but can't get into it so much now that I've heard it the other way. More fun, better flow.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

the Williams directed original 

Dudamel, actually! According to the liner notes.

• 5 months later...

Rian Johnson on twitter:

No it isn’t true, I’m still working on the trilogy. With all due respect to the movie bros, who I’m sure are lovely kind bros with good fraternal intentions.

Can't wait to see what Rian comes up with next. Superb director with a great voice. We need more directors like him in Hollywood (also more directors like him for Williams to work with!)

Loving all the salt from salty fans who got their hopes up for a few hours before their wet dreams were dashed by a splash of reality.

What's that got to do with anything? My point was that Williams branching out and working with new directors has often led to fantastic results.

Sadly, after IX, it will likely be Spielberg or nothing for Williams.

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sadly, after IX, it will likely be Spielberg or nothing for Williams.

The man is 87, and has written an enormous amount of excellent music, and sill people arent satisfied?

8 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I still don’t get why they killed Boba Fett (after giving him almost no screen time at all)...

Fixed!

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I will kill all the old remaining characters, and I will insert a cantina scene, containing only Ewoks.

Hell yeah!

On 2/17/2019 at 3:28 AM, Bespin said:

I will kill all the old remaining characters, and I will insert a cantina scene, containing only Ewoks.

Lucasfilm to-do list:

1. clone John Williams
  2. make Star Wars reboots till the end of time
  3. decimate the fandom

not-to-do list

1. never release Pre-SE OT in 4k

🙄

4 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

3. never release OT in 4k

There are rumors that Disney is planning on a 4K release for episodes I-VII later this year. Keeping my fingers crossed!

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not that it necessarily makes a huge difference, but I'd be surprised if those would be anything other than upscale-jobs.

Upscales from what? The last legit releases of the more-or-less unaltered OT comes from a 1993 source.