Rian Johnson developing a fourth Star Wars trilogy... Oh my..

crocodile

If it was just one film, why not. I don’t know why everything has to be a trilogy, or why they were so confident in RJ making some smash hit 3-part blockbuster epic when his first Star War hadn’t even come out. 

They must have been hoping/assuming Last Jedi would serve as a proof of concept for audiences, like everyone would just be demanding more from Rian Johnson in droves...I’m not really sure why, and I think the movie is pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'm sure their haste to lock Johnson down had to do with not only their opinion of the movie, but also their very painless process behind the scenes (in fact, TLJ is thus far the only modern Star Wars movie to come together as planned). 

And the most hated!

No sarcasm, it is probably fairly difficult to find an amiable writer/director confident in their own vision while still delivering a big slick commercial movie on schedule and budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Johnson talked to Variety about Knives Out and was questioned about the development of his Star Wars trilogy and toxic fandom:

What’s the status of the other Star Wars trilogy you were working on?
I’m still talking to Lucasfilm. They haven’t announced anything.

There were some rumors that your film might be the one that’s coming in 2022. Is that true?
Every single day there’s a new thing. Until it’s up on StarWars.com, don’t believe it.

From David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to Colin Trevorrow, there’s been an enormous amount of turnover behind the camera on Star Wars. Why is it so difficult for directors to stay employed on these films?
I can’t speak to the experience that anyone else has had. I would caution that other people’s sets are like other people’s marriages. You think you know what’s going on with them, but the only thing that’s absolutely true is that you’re wrong. I can only speak to my experience, which was an absolute dream from top to bottom, beginning to end. From Kathy [Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy] to Bob Iger to J.J. [Abrams] to all the craftsmen.

When Benioff and Weiss left, there was chatter that it was due to “toxic fandom.” What was your experience like with that kind of trolling?
You always have to contextualize how small a part of the fandom that section is. I’m not talking about people who like or dislike a particular movie. I’m talking about the people who have dedicated themselves to abusing people who are involved in the films. It’s so small, but it gets blown up. Having been in the hurricane for the last two years, I can tell you that 95% of what I get even on Twitter is lovely and thoughtful and engaged, even when people don’t like my movie. Having said that, it’s a problem that every type of fandom is dealing with. It’s almost a byproduct of this system that is the internet.

Here's for everyone that wants to read the entire interview:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/rian-johnson-interview-knives-out-star-wars-last-jedi-1203410899/

Johnson not knowing a thing about his future SW movies is not a good thing.  They'll need at least two years to make the first film and it's apparent he hasn't written any scripts.  Then again, it seems Lucasfilm hasn't prepared anything at all for the 2022 film... at least publicly.

I think they have something planned, they are just waiting for everyone to watch The Rise of Skywalker to announce it.

It's like Marvel, who waited until July, almost three months after Endgame was released, to officially announce their plans for Phase 4, complete with directors, cast and release date.

Of course, on Marvel's case, I guess some of their plans were known before the last SDCC, like the director of Black Widow who were already chosen, etc.

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They're currently mapping out which expectations to subvert.

They need to convince us the movie is still happening because that’s the expectation they’ll subvert! 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Better Johnson than that Abrams hack. TLJ is the only Disney SW that managed to entertain me and Rian showed he can make a good movie with Knives Out

I’d rather RJ made his own films and JJ retired. 

11 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The last 1/3 of the first film just have raised alarm bells. 

Apparently it's an unwritten rule in Hollywood that all comic book films have to devolve into a lazy CGI fight scene for their last act.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Apparently it's an unwritten rule in Hollywood that all comic book films have to devolve into a lazy CGI fight scene for their last act.

This is why I don't understand why Snyder wants to go 4:3 for Justice League. Doesn't slamming people against buildings work better in widescreen?

22 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

This is why I don't understand why Snyder wants to go 4:3 for Justice League. Doesn't slamming people against buildings work better in widescreen?

Skyscrapers are too tall for 16:9.

37 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Skyscrapers are too tall for 16:9.

Don't worry, it's a Zack Snyder film, so all the skyscrapers will be collapsing into a 16:9 friendly format.

6095894-5385279868-giphy.gif

Because that's what I love to see in my superhero movies; imagery that reminds me of 9/11!

I like explosions as much as the next person.

Its just Superman's lack of appearant effort to draw his opponents away from the populace that I don't get. Makes it seem like he doesn't care.

Well at the end he see a small family and then suddenly care about casualties. Maybe he just didn't see before there was people in the town. After all how could he know it without seeing it...