Rian Johnson developing a fourth Star Wars trilogy... Oh my..

crocodile

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

YOU READY FOR THE STAR WARS DUBSTEP REMIX

Well we've had this shite: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Headspace-Various-Artists/dp/B01BMJXTE6/ref=sr_1_19?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1510419851&sr=1-19&keywords=Star+Wars

16 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

What the bloody fuck??

Aside from the fact that Disney seems to be putting a ton of effort into killing Star Wars through oversaturation, the worst part of this is the fact that it will keep Rian Johnson from doing his own thing. I have seen all of his films and thought Looper was a strong effort that really whetted my appetite for whatever he would do next. And now he is doing this instead of whatever weird thing he might have done next. Disappointing. It further solidifies my decision to check out of new Star Wars after Episode IX, though if Williams doesn't do that one my interest will decrease substantially. J.J. returning and the movie getting pushed back seem to make his involvement a little less likely, to me at least.

57 minutes ago, Seth said:

J.J. returning and the movie getting pushed back seem to make his involvement a little less likely, to me at least.

I still don't get where this is coming from where people keep thinking Williams is less likely to come back because of Abrams. Just because of the rewrites? 

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I still don't get where this is coming from where people keep thinking Williams is less likely to come back because of Abrams. Just because of the rewrites? 

Well, that's certainly part of it for me. He'll be 87 by that point, after all, and I can't imagine a schedule like TFA being any more amenable in the future then it was in 2015. If I'm being honest, I also suspect his working relationship with Abrams wasn't as rewarding for him as it was for Abrams. Williams is too much the gentleman to say overly negative things about his collaborators, but it wouldn't surprise me if the process on TFA probably had too much fluctuation for his liking, especially for a composer who doesn't read scripts and likes to know where a film is going when he starts to write (or so I gather from some of his comments on other projects). If he is able, I really think he'll do Episode IX more out of duty than anything--I think he feels obligated to finish this trilogy. My hope is that having six extra months to write and plan will give Abrams time to be sure of the movie he is making from the start, and fuss with it less in the editing room. Not to go too far off-topic, but I think part of his reasoning for passing on Ready Player One was because he was planning on spending a large part of next year writing Episode IX, when Colin Trevorrow was still attached to direct.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

There will be plenty of time and money to produce smaller independent films later.

I certainly hope you're right.

8 minutes ago, Seth said:

Not to go too far off-topic, but I think part of his reasoning for passing on Ready Player One was because he was planning on spending a large part of next year writing Episode IX, when Colin Trevorrow was still attached to direct.

Might very well be true, indeed.

Wow, Disney milking this for every single penny they can. In a way, quite disgusting.

RIP the times when SW films used to be special.

Please leave Williams alone with this contrived shit beyond Last Jedi.

It's not going to be part of the narrative thrust of the main episodes, so they have no reason to call upon Williams any more than they did for Rogue One.

And I'm not a fan of the "Marvel treatment", either. A universe is only as compelling as the overarching plot allows it to be. By splitting it up into numerous sub-series of films with no clear thematic order you're losing the overarching plot.

Even with just the episodes, the Star Wars universe is starting to feel stretched out. The fact that we are seeing parallels even where Rian Johnson clearly didn't intend for, means that this franchise's trick is old.

Hey, I love that movie!

At least that sextet has cohesion and an overarching narrative thrust, and it still leaves a lot untold, leaving it to the imagination of the viewer.

Whereas creating all these spin-offs focused entirely around the backstory of individual characters and minor events in the Star Wars universe doesn't leave so much as a shred of mystery to anything in that world.

5 hours ago, Seth said:

Not to go too far off-topic, but I think part of his reasoning for passing on Ready Player One was because he was planning on spending a large part of next year writing Episode IX, when Colin Trevorrow was still attached to direct.

I've suspected this for a while. The Post is already finished and Williams would've had 4 months to score Ready Player One; he probably expected most of 2018 would be dedicated to IX so he passed on RPO to ensure he had a writing break (he was probably concerned about having no break between TLJ to The Post to Ready Player One to Episode IX). 

But that's the nature of Hollywood. They aren't going to kick Silvestri off the project now. It just means Williams can focus on his concerts and maybe write a new concerto or something. No reason he can't start thinking about ideas for IX too, even if he won't see the film for a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams started writing for Episode IX this time next year or early 2019.  Granted, principle photography is set to begin in June 2018 but I think there would be enough for him to at least start writing.  If I recall correctly, he started work on TFA fairly early (late 2014 perhaps?) even though the score sessions began in summer 2015.  In any case, I'm guessing Williams is committed to finishing the trilogy regardless of who directs.

I hope we'll get a surprise score from him next year, but not likely if Spielberg doesn't plan on doing anything besides RPO.  He's probably saving all of his projects for 2019 to screw up Williams' Star Wars schedule. :sarcasm:

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

No reason he can't start thinking about ideas for IX too, even if he won't see the film for a year.

Except Williams doesn't work like that. He doesn't write anything until he had seen at least a single reel of film.

And again, it's not like they have the story mapped out from the outset - they don't.

10 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Wow, Disney milking this for every single penny they can. In a way, quite disgusting.

RIP the times when SW films used to be special.

Please leave Williams alone with this contrived shit beyond Last Jedi.

Yeah, I was sure when they spent $4 billion on it they’d just make the three and leave it at that. 

When they said they planned on making a Star Wars film every year I didn’t think that would actually mean we’d get a new Star Wars film every year!! 

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Too busy self harming to Desolation of Smaug ad infinitum, right? 

Can't remember the long desired to be filmed, 70 year old classic novel those new Star Wars films are based on. 

Must be something Disney pulled out of their asses. Wierd.

And back to ignore it is.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Can't remember the long desired to be filmed, 70 year old classic novel those new Star Wars films are based on. 

Must be something Disney pulled out of their asses.

hush! Best we don't burst the bubble of those who believe that these films, or any entry past the original Star Wars for that matter, was ,in any way, shape or form planned by George Lucas from the beginning, or that even these latest three are in anyway preplanned by Disney.

And that's the problem with these entries going on ad inifinitum as they do now. It will never work as a truly cohesive nine-film marathon, and certainly not with all those spin-offs interspersed in there.

Compare that to another universe that's basically comprised of just two films, both based on prexisting source material that exists as a story outline of both, both made by the same production crew and within less than ten years apart, and you realize that the comparison of the two franchises, outside of the archetypes they both share on the page, is completly moot on the level of the cinematic realization.

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

1977-1983 to 2015 and beyond.

Fixed!

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

hush! Best we don't burst the bubble of those who believe that these films, or any entry past the original Star Wars for that matter, was ,in any way, shape or form planned by George Lucas from the beginning, or that even these latest three are in anyway preplanned by Disney.

I don't know anyone who believes that.

29 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

I don't know anyone who believes that.

If you use the terminology of "the original trilogy", than you believe it without realizing it.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If you use the terminology of "the original trilogy", than you believe it without realizing it.

That's not even close to true. I call it the "original trilogy" because that's the easiest way to refer to the first three films. Please don't put words in my mouth (or in this case, notions in my head).

Has it, though?! 

The fact that The Force Awakens remakes the original Star Wars isn't good, continuity-wise, for a new audience that watches them in their thematic order. Especially given that the previous film, Return of the Jedi, already dabbles in this way too much.

And whatever Johnson conjures, it isn't likely to feel tonaly consistent with Abrams' efforts due to the difference between them as directors, much in the same way that Kirshner's work on Empire Strikes Back feels so tonally divorced from the original Star Wars. So this trilogy isn't bound to be particularly cohesive even just within itself.

That's just a George Lucas excuse for bad, deriviative and trope-y screenwriting, pretending as if it was a deliberate artistic choice.

Callbacks are certainly a cinematic practice, but to paraphrase on what one my professors originally said about quotes in dissertations: "it's like hot sauce on fallafel: too little and it'd be bland, too much and you'll choke."

Generally, you'd want callbacks to serve as a form of planting and payoff ("I miss my books, my armchair" - "go back to your books, and your armchair") or as a demonstration of character growth (think about the three times Red faces the committee in Shawshank Redemption and the difference in his demeanor). In this series, they are unfortunately used either as fan service or as an attempt to draw connections, in order to cover for shaky continuity.

Another continuity problem is posed by this habit of leaving large temporal gaps between the episodes (which necessitates the crawl), and fill-in any plot holes or onscreen allusions to events that happened in the interim through books, etc....

If you think Rian Johnson is going to trouble himself with JJ's plot holes (Phasma's survival, "that lightsaber was Luke's and his father's before him"), than prepare for dissappointment.

Getting back to the Middle Earth films, those are completely self contained: where one ends the other begins, and no anchiliary material is required. 

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

And whatever Johnson conjures, it isn't likely to feel tonaly consistent with Abrams' efforts due to the difference between them as directors, much in the same way that Kirshner's work on Empire Strikes Back feels so tonally divorced from the original Star Wars. So this trilogy isn't bound to be particularly cohesive even just within itself.

That's great and the same reason why Harry Potter and Indiana Jones are so awesome.

Different directors help, rather than hinder, these films. I'm all for stylistic differences between films rather than keeping the creative static, so long as the cast remains consistent.

I mean, look what happened when you only had one vision guiding the prequels from start to finish? Yikes!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Different directors help, rather than hinder, these films. I'm all for stylistic differences between films rather than keeping the creative static, so long as the cast remains consistent.

I mean, look what happened when you only had one vision guiding the prequels from start to finish? Yikes!

One vision isn't always a bad thing. The prequels just display a mediocre vision and bad storytelling.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Another continuity problem is posed by this habit of leaving large temporal gaps between the episodes (which necessitates the crawl), and fill-in any plot holes or onscreen allusions to events that happened in the interim through books, etc....

If you think Rian Johnson is going to trouble himself with JJ's plot holes (Phasma's survival, "that lightsaber was Luke's and his father's before him"), than prepare for dissappointment.

Getting back to the Middle Earth films, those are completely self contained: where one ends the other begins, and no anchiliary material is required. 

Phasma’s survival has been explained in a comic!

She should have been left on Starkiller though. I hope Johnson manages to do anything with her rather than set dressing JJ had.

17 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Phasma’s survival has been explained in a comic!

If the moviegoing public needs to read a comic to not go "huh?!" when they see Phasma returns, than the movie failed in terms of continuity.

Movies shouldn't require anchiliary material.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

If the moviegoing public needs to read a comic to not go "huh?!" when they see Phasma returns, than the movie failed in terms of continuity.

Agreed.

The average movie goer is too dumb to question Phasma’s survival though. 

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Another example for that are the four Alien movies! The masterpiece Alien is followed by three totally different, but very good movies. I love this anthology mostly for its diversity.

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Not necessarily, I'm sure Phasma's return will be given some expositionary allocation. 

I don't give a shit about her character though because she's just a faceless trooper in TFA. So much for all of Gwendolyn Christie's beefing up her importance.