Arrangements for Brass

Dr. Know

I just acquired two interesting discs released by the BBC in its "Listen to the Band" collection. The disc "Brass Spectacular" opens with a nice arrangement of the Liberty Fanfare (followed by a spectacular short work by Bruce Broughton called Harlequin), and the disc "Reflections for Brass" includes an arrangement of "Can you Read my Mind."

Does anyone know of any similar recordings? Two years ago I heard a terrific brass arrangement of the Olympic Fanfare and Theme, and would love to find a recording.

Two years ago I heard a terrific brass arrangement of the Olympic Fanfare and Theme, and would love to find a recording.

If I remember right, there is a recording of this performed by the Tchech National Military Brass Band, and this recording is really terrific.

Unfortunately, I´m not sure where to buy this CD (online?). I will have a look later, if I have this recording in my collection.

In the meantime,

-Alawill

Dr. Know,

The Grimethorpe Colliery Band recently released a CD entitled Movie Brass featuring arrangements of famous film music, including four pieces by John Williams: Superman, Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Do not be put off by the name. They are reputedly the premier non-military brass band in the UK. Although brass band arrangements are not really my thing, the Williams arrangements I have heard on the radio have been rather good.

Damien - counting the hours until China v Costa Rica :jump:

We contested against the Grimethorpe with our brass band.

I will look for an address where more brass music of Williams can be found. I know that it exist.

And I will go through my brass CD's (about 35) to see if I have more filmmusic.

PetePan

former percussionist of European runner up in '99: brassband de bazuin oenkerk

There's another cd:

Ad Astra (BNA 5142) by the Band of the RAF Regiment which has arrangements for:

Star Wars (9:51)

E.T. (8:51)

among more film music. E.T. isn't that good, but Star Wars is quite nice.

A friend of mine who plays also in my brassband has a company where you can buy brass band and fanfare CD's and sheet music.

So for you who need sheet music for their school band or something, just go to www.musicprint.nl

Type John Williams in the search field and you will find a whole bunch of arrangements that can be ordered online.

Ask me for the quality/ difficulty, since I played most of these pieces myself.

PetePan

• 20 years later...

I have resurrected this thread from 2002 to mention some wonderfully performed brass arrangements by Vienna Brass Connection that I have been enjoying recently:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/take-one-vienna-brass-connection/0717281912174

I highly recommend this album and it contains a killer recording of Summon the Heroes for brass & percussion. Really great playing!

There's no youtube recording of Summon the heroes sadly, but here's Hymn to the Fallen and Born on the Fourth of July, both of which are great too!

12 hours ago, karelm said:

Don't forget this one by yours truly!

I remembering hearing and loving this when it showed up on Jim's Youtube channel, but somehow missed that you arranged it. It's fantastic!! Wonderful work!

The pared down "chamber-ness" of them might not be to everyone's taste, but I really enjoy brass quintets as well as brass bands (and wind bands generally).

Check this fun arrangement of Williams' Superman theme that for the opening combines it with Also Sprach Zarathustra! (the literary connection being made there between a Super Man and Nietzsche's Übermensch is just too funny)

Although the highlight of that album for me is the version of Goldsmith's theme from First Contact

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

The pared down "chamber-ness" of them might not be to everyone's taste, but I really enjoy brass quintets as well as brass bands (and wind bands generally).

Check this fun arrangement of Williams' Superman theme that for the opening combines it with Also Sprach Zarathustra!

Although the highlight of that album for me is the version of Goldsmith's theme from First Contact

Those are fun!!

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

This was a recent physical addition to my brass CD collection.

Love this album!