• With Malice Toward None
    • The American Process
    • The People's House
    • Freedom's Call
    • Elegy
    • Remembrance
    • Getting Out the Vote

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

No question to me. "With malice towards none", but the pure piano version is by far my favourite. And the best thing about it - it is even accessible for a lousy piano player like me. :)

Dito regarding the last half sentence :D

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hey!  I just discovered this video uploaded last month by the National Symphony Orchestra.

It includes a FULL live performance of the three part suite from Lincoln.  On top of that it also includes the suite from JFK, Copland's Lincoln Portrait, and Rhapsody in Blue.

I have this timestamped to start with the Lincoln suite:

Fantastic concert.  

31 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Fantastic concert.  

I appreciate that the NSO programmed the concert with the priority of "how do we maximize the appeal of this program for Disco Stu?" 

Orchestras, take note!  This is how you should approach your programs!

Favourite Lincoln melody... which is the one that plays on piano at the end of Petersen House and Finale?

That.

In the poll it’s “Remembrance”

That was my pick. That and American Process always are the first things I think of, perfect melodies with the best film moments (Lincoln riding past the dead soldiers and the amendment vote, respectively)

My God, the performance of "With Malice Toward None" at the beginning of the "Freedom's Call" OST track.  The  subtle orchestration touches accompanying the solo violin and guitar are just mind-blowing.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

The entire Lincoln score is a modern JW masterpiece. I genuinely don't think he could have written a score so thematically rich, appropriate to its setting, and all the time feeling effortlessly flowing, earlier in his career. From the beautiful solos to the careful orchestration evoking 19th century Americana, Lincoln demonstrates JW' musical wisdom and restraint.

Although good in their own right, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, and JW's earlier Americana pieces and scores are all lacking when compared to Lincoln.

What an irony that "Getting Out the Vote" didn't get any vote in the poll. :lol:

I must confess, I didn't connect to it on the soundtrack album. But the piano version of it on the piano version extended and performed by Simone Peroni I like very much. It is one of my favorites on the album.

I decided to give this a listen this morning on my way to work. Not sure if it's my mood or just Autumn but just clicked this time. As for the best theme it's either With Malice Towards None or Remembrance. Today I will go with the latter. I like People's House too. 

Karol

By the way, if I were forced to do a ranking of these themes:

1. American Process

2. With Malice Toward None

3. Freedom’s Call

4. People’s House

5. The Blue and Grey

6. Getting Out the Vote

7. Elegy

You might think this suggests I’m lukewarm on the Elegy theme but nothing could be further from the truth.  It’s a heartbreaking evocation of national grief over senseless violence.  So its being the bottom just tells you how much I adore this score!

On 10/5/2020 at 9:00 PM, Disco Stu said:

Hey!  I just discovered this video uploaded last month by the National Symphony Orchestra.

It includes a FULL live performance of the three part suite from Lincoln.  On top of that it also includes the suite from JFK, Copland's Lincoln Portrait, and Rhapsody in Blue.

I have this timestamped to start with the Lincoln suite:

Thanks for sharing this!  I didn't get a chance to listen until just now, but I really liked it!  The People's House is so amazing every time.  Some of the parts here had an oddly sped up tempo, but that didn't mar the overall feel of it just being great.  Getting Out The Vote is always fun too, I love it.  And then With Malice Towards None was OK in this version, but I always seem to like the OST version the best

Just watched the JFK suite too, that was really good!  Almost ruined by super loud audience noise over the quiet parts though.  I like this conductor guy, he's great!

I also really like the camera work and just entire presentation of this concert, everything is well lit and the camera catches all the soloists in a very nice way.  Why can't we have John Williams concerts shot this well?

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Just watched the JFK suite too, that was really good!  Almost ruined by super loud audience noise over the quiet parts though.  I like this conductor guy, he's great!

I also really like the camera work and just entire presentation of this concert, everything is well lit and the camera catches all the soloists in a very nice way.  Why can't we have John Williams concerts shot this well?

I've been to see the NSO at the Kennedy Center several times over the last 10 years and it's a great group of musicians.  William Gerlach, the principal trumpet, in particular is one of the best in the country and he handled that JFK solo without breaking a sweat!

On 10/10/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jay said:

Did you watch the Vienna Blueray? The camera work is amazing there too. 

On 10/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

I voted Remembrance?  What the fuck??!

(Malice would win for me now, followed by American Process)

I've changed my mind again.  Malice would still win followed by Remembrances, followed by The American Process)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel once you listen to the violin solo at the beginning of Freedom's Call - it is kinda hard to not feel that the piano and trumpet solos are dropping some notes and are in fact reductions of the main melody.

I think the melody find its fullest expression with the violin - adding in notes missing from other renditions and fleshing out this beautiful theme with little nuances and details that make it more full bodied and moving.

• 1 year later...

Today I'm here to tell you that this particular variation of the With Malice Toward None theme right now feels like my favorite music that Williams has ever written.  Notably this is the version of the theme that starts playing as Lincoln actually says "With malice toward none, with charity for all..." and closes out the film before the truly noble rendition of With Malice theme plays on the low brass and woodwinds to start the end credits.

But it's something about the variation played on the strings during the speech that is just really hittin' my heart strings today.

(1:50 - 2:44)

And in the film:

(1:09 - end)

The Wow.. I have a real soft spot for this score and I hold it highly as one of my top five favorites. I cant' really even think to pick a favorite theme either. Every time I listen to any presentation of any theme, I always think "yep this is my favorite, no doubt" then the next one comes on and its the same. 

If I had to pick I think "With Malice Toward None". Especially because of when it happens at the end like @Disco Stujust mentioned. This score is just masterful and a pure expression, it doesn't get much better! 

On 22/02/2022 at 10:11 AM, Disco Stu said:

The theme comes in at the exact perfect moment. Goosebumps

On 06/10/2020 at 8:00 AM, GerateWohl said:

No question to me. "With malice towards none", but the pure piano version is by far my favourite. And the best thing about it - it is even accessible for a lousy piano player like me. :)

I prefer it on an eastern release of the OST, where it's called With Malice Towards Some.