The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023) - film and score (Brian Tyler)

Jay

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mario-bros-set-to-jump-to-big-screen-in-movie-deal-with-universals-illumination-1510675881

According to the report, Illumination has been in talks about the move for nearly a year, and the major sticking point for Nintendo has been ensuring that the company is heavily involved in the creative process. (This is not surprising considering the 1993 live-action Mario film was an infamous disaster.) If the movie does come to pass, Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto will reportedly likely serve as a producer. Last year, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima said that the company was in talks with several Hollywood companies about bringing the iconic character to the big screen.

https://www.theverge.com/games/2017/11/14/16650052/nintendo-movie-illumination-entertainment-minions

All I will say is that no doubt Charles Martinet will not be voicing Mario.  A full 90 minute film with actual dialogue would not work if Mario has that falsetto Italian stereotype voice.  It works in the games because it's almost like how silent comedy works in all languages.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

All I will say is that no doubt Charles Martinet will not be voicing Mario.  A full 90 minute film with actual dialogue would not work if Mario has that falsetto Italian stereotype voice.  It works in the games because it's almost like how silent comedy works in all languages.

Yep!

• 2 years later...

This news has come out of nowhere, but it's been confirmed that a new Super Mario movie is in the works and set to be released on the big screen in 2022. Believe it or not, this announcement was unearthed by Games Radar in Nintendo's "Corporate Management Policy Briefing."

The report confirms that this CG Super Mario movie is "scheduled for theatrical release in 2022" and that "production is moving ahead smoothly." There's some top tier talent working behind the scenes, including Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto (he also dreamt up Donkey Kong and Zelda) and the founder of Illumination, Chris Meledandri (that's the studio behind Minions). 

Unfortunately, there are no story or casting details, but this is definitely a step in the right direction for Super Mario, and it should be fun seeing the iconic video game character back on the big screen.

The live-action movie bombed back in 1993, and while we don't know who is set to direct this time, the animated Super Mario is bound to be an improvement. This news comes just days before the release of Super Mario 3D All Stars, a compilation consisting of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. That arrives on the Nintendo Switch this Friday.

Are you excited for a new Super Mario animated movie?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video_games/super-mario-animated-movie-officially-in-the-works-for-2022-theatrical-release-a178418

I just hope it's not as bad as Illumination's other films.

"This news has come out of nowhere"

lol it was officially confirmed more than 2.5 years ago

https://kotaku.com/1822613253

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/46340/nintendo-officially-partners-with-illumination-for-new-mario-movie

Anyway, as one of the biggest if not the biggest Mario fans on this forum, I can't say I'm especially excited for it.  The first movie in the 90s was a mistake too but at least it was so effing bizarre and crazy that's it fascinating.  But hey, maybe I'll be surprised.

One thing that would make me excited is if the score was actually done by Koji Kondo or just an actual Nintendo composer like Mahito Yokota.  But it'll probably be Junkie XL.

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

One thing that would make me excited is if the score was actually done by Koji Kondo or just an actual Nintendo composer like Mahito Yokota.  But it'll probably be Junkie XL.

Actually, Heitor Pereira scored most of the Illumination films so far. It wouldn't be surprising if they asked him to return for Super Mario.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It'll be a repeating 10 second loop of the Mario theme with bass and drums on top.  And with some happy clarinet cues thrown in for the Emotional PartsTM

• 1 year later...

Release date revealed: December 21, 2022

Cast announced, too:

Chris Pratt - Mario
Anya Taylor-Joy - Princess Peach
Charlie Day - Luigi
Jack Black - Bowser
Keegan-Michael Key - Toad
Seth Rogen - Donkey Kong
Fred Armisen - Cranky Kong
Kevin Michael Richardson - Kamek
Sebastian Maniscalco - Spike

Charles Martinet - unannounced cameos

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/super-mario-bros-movie-cast-chris-pratt-1235072946/

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

How have you made up your mind so firmly already?

Because it's an Illumination movie, the company that, in my opinion, has not produced one single movie that can be considered good. Their stuff is mediocre at best. But they do make a lot of money, because they're silly enough for kids until the age of 6.

All of the Illumination movies are passable kids entertainment.  There’s lot that are better.  There’s a ton that are much, much worse.  It’ll be fine (and anyone old enough to post on a message board who was expecting a Super Mario Bros movie to be “for them” was probably misreading things anyway).  It’s bound to be better than the old Saturday morning cartoon and the 1990s movie.

Charlie Day and Seth Rogen seem like good casting for the “look” of the characters.  Pratt specifically is a baffling choice though. Anya Taylor Joy is great, but as far as I can tell her voice lacks the affect needed for a cartoon character.  I’ll be happy to be surprised. 

• 4 months later...

I was wondering today who might score this, and decided to look up who has composed for the previous Illumination Studios films.

It turns out, the only repeat composers they've used are for subsequent entries in the same franchise; All new IPs always start with a composer new to the studio!

5 - Heitor Pereira (Despicable Me 1&2&3, Minions 1&2)
2 - Alexandre Desplat (The Secret Life of Pets 1&2)
2 - Joby Talbot (Sing 1&2)
1 - Christopher Lennertz (Hop)
1 - John Powell (The Lorax)
1 - Danny Elfman (The Grinch)

Yeah, I'm not holding out hope for anyone but a typical Hollywood composer. 

There are lots of good choices in game music they could pick if they wanted some musical integrity. Grant Kirkhope would be perfect since he's already scored a Mario game, if they wanted an English speaker.

I just hope we get copious use of the games’ themes... but I dare not hold much hope. As far as composer, I cannot think of anyone who would be a perfect choice.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As I posted in the Nintendo thread, I am weirded out thinking about the decisions that went in to the portrayal of Mario's butt (or lack thereof :lol:)

They wanted to avoid the plumber stereotypes ;)

I'm joking around, but I should say that besides Mario's posterior, it is a gorgeous poster.

Happy to see the Biddy Buds, my pick for the cutest addition to the Mario bestiary in the past 10 years.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Biddybud

And of course Captain Toad rules.

Swear on my life that I had seen none of this stuff when I posted my own jokes here.  Glad to know I'm not the only one that it stood out to!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/10/random-theres-something-missing-from-the-mario-movie-poster-and-the-internet-has-noticed

Spoiler

Huh, it's just different enough from the modern look they settled on to be a bit off-putting

Sorry, Stu - no further shots below the belt.  #Assgate continues. But if we complain loud enough, it’s possible that Illumination will go back to the drawing board Sonic-style and give us that big juicy ass we know and love.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, it's just different enough from the modern look they settled on to be a bit off-putting

It looks weird in this context of a marketing flyer, but I'd have to see it in motion with the rest of the movie around it to really judge